Pasterns

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

I have a Ocober born heifer, that everyonce in a while will pop in her pasterns, its not very bad but its noticable if you watch her long enough. I won't be showing her until august or so, Should I just leave her be for awhile, or start her on a supplement now?

WWS

I had the same question regarding if anyone on here as used any supplements that truly work or if anyone has used natural stride.

FJLranch

I would recommend finding a good trimmer and keep her trimmed on a six week schedule.  We have had our best luck with popping in the pasterns this way then any other.

Larry & Kim

box6rranch

Trimming is the best solution. Stride Rite might help lubricant the joints. It's a familiar problem with the shorty breed and several of ours pop. Sometimes as they grow it gets better but the opposite can be true too.
Good luck.

cowman 52

Popping in the pastern is best helped by MUSE or BOSE injections,  Selinium is the missing  element can do it feed wise but takes forever,  we see a lot in cattle from hard country & usually that means a poor mineral program.  ie a trace mineral block in spring & salt the rest of the year.  The injection is sub Q so just put it somewhere it won't knot will see improvement in a week

OH HSC

I have used natural stride and, in my opinion, it works. The two that we have used it on showed a substantial difference. I truly feel that it made the difference between a champion and 6th or 7th place calf on one.

I agree with the MuSe or BoSe, but I haven't had that rapid of a result. We use it regulary in our small calves.

Hoof trimming is touchy in my opinion. You can help one IF you get a trimmer that knows what they are doing. However I have seen a lot of cattle ruined by someone trimming hooves that didn't know what they were doing.

BCCC said:
I have a Ocober born heifer, that everyonce in a while will pop in her pasterns, its not very bad but its noticable if you watch her long enough. I won't be showing her until august or so, Should I just leave her be for awhile, or start her on a supplement now?