Pelvic Area

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mueller Show Cattle

I just had a Heat Wave heifer of mine, had her pelvic measured by the vet. Her pelvic measured 14.5 inches by 12.5 inches which comes out 181.25 square inches. Everything I'm been reading on the net by university studies are showing measurements in CM2 which is square centimeters. The large end for 12 to 13 month old heifers which mine is was 180 CM2. That can't be rite because that converts to like 27 square inches which would have a pelvic size of about 5 inches by 5 inches which could not have any calf. So I am thinking they are going of square inches which my heifer would be at the larger side of pelvic area. My heifer is approximately 800 lbs give or take 50lbs and is 13 months old. Anyone have any charts or anything that would say how she fares with her pelvic area and having calves, going of that, some University Of Nebraska thing I read on line with her age, weight and pelvic area, said she could have a first calf of 78 lbs with no assistance. So seeing if anyone else has any information on this cause the way it sounds being a HW heifer, she is doing pretty good for her pelvic area. Any other input is appreciated.

base pair

Pelvic area is NOT measured in inches it is measured in centimeters and there are correction factors for age - it is most likely that your heifer has a set of pelvic measurement of 14.5 X 12.5 centimeters not inches - this is on the small side for an 800 pound but may be adequate for a 13 month old 600 lb heifer - somebody goofed on their units

Mueller Show Cattle

base pair said:
Pelvic area is NOT measured in inches it is measured in centimeters and there are correction factors for age - it is most likely that your heifer has a set of pelvic measurement of 14.5 X 12.5 centimeters not inches - this is on the small side for an 800 pound but may be adequate for a 13 month old 600 lb heifer - somebody goofed on their units
Yes, the vet just called me back and it is 181 squared centimeters which was 14.5 by 12.5 centimeters. But everything i read showed good for 13 month old heifer as being on the high end of pelvic measurements for her age. Then when you take her age and weight they come up with a formula which was 2.4 then you take the 181 and divide that with the 2.4 which gives you a supposed logical birth weight of a calf that the heifer should have without any assistance which was 75.4 lbs. The vet said the 800lbs and 181 CM2 did not concern him, he likes the age more than the weight as far of the pelvic measurements go, cause he said she just has alot of muscle mass rite now.  The low end of average pelvic area was 140CM2 for 12 to 13 month old heifers. Alot of her weight was I bought her at a club calf sale as a market heifer, since I brought her home, I stopped graining her and she gets just hay with a mineral lick, she stopped getting as thick and is just growing in frame size now. There must be alot of bone growth in a cows 2nd year, from 1 year to 2 years old when she would calve out, cause rite now 181 CM2 comes out to 27 square inches with is under 5.5 inches by 5.5 inches, a calf's head and shoulders are bigger than that.

Mueller Show Cattle

Below is a link from the University of Kentucky which had some research from the University of Nebraska in it. I goofed up on my calculation, it shows a 800 lb heifer being at 12 to 13 months old a 2.3 calculation, not 2.4. So you take the 181 and divide that by 2.3 comes up to 78.6lbs for a calf for this heifer without any assistance. If that is the case, I think that is pretty good for a first calf in weight being a heifer. 

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AnimalSciences/pubs/asc142.pdf

DTW

Mueller Show Cattle said:
Below is a link from the University of Kentucky which had some research from the University of Nebraska in it. I goofed up on my calculation, it shows a 800 lb heifer being at 12 to 13 months old a 2.3 calculation, not 2.4. So you take the 181 and divide that by 2.3 comes up to 78.6lbs for a calf for this heifer without any assistance. If that is the case, I think that is pretty good for a first calf in weight being a heifer. 

I dont have the information in front of me on pelvic measurements but with her being a heat wave you have to remember heat waves birth weight himself was huge.  Thus his daughters can throw large calves.  So her pelvic measurement maybe fine but will it be enough for the added birth weight and shape of the calf that will come from her father. 
I have seen heat waves have a small calf bred to a certain bull then bred back to the same bull and the calf is alot heavier at  birth. 
I had some full flush cows i measured years ago and they had room for 85 lb calves for their first calf.  both of them had calves that weighed in the 90's.  Got them both out the back but had to pull them both.
Years have gone by those two cows can lay down now and have 110 to 120 lb calves.  But they have that big of calves on maine anjou bulls not clubby bulls. 

So pelvic measurent is good but birth weight is also very important on that heifer and her bloodlines.

Mueller Show Cattle

DTW said:
Mueller Show Cattle said:

I dont have the information in front of me on pelvic measurements but with her being a heat wave you have to remember heat waves birth weight himself was huge.  Thus his daughters can throw large calves.  So her pelvic measurement maybe fine but will it be enough for the added birth weight and shape of the calf that will come from her father. 
I have seen heat waves have a small calf bred to a certain bull then bred back to the same bull and the calf is alot heavier at  birth. 
I had some full flush cows i measured years ago and they had room for 85 lb calves for their first calf.  both of them had calves that weighed in the 90's.  Got them both out the back but had to pull them both.
Years have gone by those two cows can lay down now and have 110 to 120 lb calves.  But they have that big of calves on maine anjou bulls not clubby bulls. 

So pelvic measurent is good but birth weight is also very important on that heifer and her bloodlines.
Most definitely, I am still going to use an easy calving bull for her first calf even though it says that she can handle close to an 80 lb calf. I am looking at several easy calving simmi bulls, 1 angus bull (Northern Improvement) or club calf bull Tiny Tim for her first calf. Then I can start going up on her next calfs cause even though she is a Heat Wave heifer, looks like her pelvic size will be just fine.