performance bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okotoks

It seems you hear a lot about birth weights but at the end of the day cattle sell by the pound either at the sale barn or on the rail. Last year we bought a bull we felt would add pounds and give us a performance line to offer our commercial bull buyers. Here is a photo of his dam with her 2013 calf. He weighed 1007 lbs. at 245 days with a WDPA of 4.11. Born Mar. 6, 2013. The Aceson's at Herbourne Shorthorns in Manitoba continue to breed them the way they see them making them money. No fad followers here!

Attachments

• Herbourne Ginger Maid 5W and 2013 calf.jpg
    Herbourne Ginger Maid 5W and 2013 calf.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 293

jbzdad

very impressive pair .. dam and calf ... is he still a bull?  what does the dam weigh... Kinda reminds me of Mark Mueller at DMCC in the rich soils of NE kansas ... they have great grass and all the stalks they can eat all winter.. easier to keep really big mommas going

we sell em by the pound also

out here in short grass country it gets a little harder to keep them fed

if that was a steer seems like he would be finished at about 1600  is that close to what you expect?

aj

Looks like an awsome ton plus cow. How would you like tof feed 500 of these cows year round.

Duncraggan

Tremendous pair, excellent performace figures match the picture!  Slight toe-out on the bullcalf, or is it the picture?

The old saying about breeding cattle as big as your conditions will handle without sacrificing fertility still holds true AJ.

Okotoks, you must be excited about your progeny from the half/full brother, if I remember correctly that white bull, you acquired?  Any calves on the ground yet?

PDJ

aj said:
Looks like an awsome ton plus cow. How would you like tof feed 500 of these cows year round.
It seems to me that if they are weaning 900 plus pound calves, you only need 250 or 300 of these cows, instead of 500 smaller ones. ;)

Medium Rare

PDJ said:
aj said:
It seems to me that if they are weaning 900 plus pound calves, you only need 250 or 300 of these cows, instead of 500 smaller ones. ;)

I hear the semen, bull, registration, and other misc/head costs are lower too.  <beer>

RyanChandler

It comes down to what percentage of her body weight can she wean.  Few cows that size can wean half their body weight w/I some serious supplementation. Many 1200lb cows can.  Nonetheless, I don't mind these types of genetics staying around to serve a specialized purpose.  If they could provide enough milk, imagine the outcome you'd get from occ type cows bred to a bull like that. 

RyanChandler

Better ratios than by using a pcc type bull on those same cows.  His models give no consideration to conversion efficiency.  Look on any closeout- the cost of gain between one pen and the next suggests there is considerable variance in conversion efficiency amongst cattle. 

If lbs weaned per acre doesn't change when using growthier bulls, the cows aren't milking enough, thus it can be concluded that the cows are saving too much for themselves. 

r.n.reed

Xbar makes a valid point.If you have cows that big and you are selling feeder calves your only hope for a ROI is to breed them to a high growth bull.You are basically locked in.
Dan,I would call this new line you are developing a terminal line.Performance is too general a term and could mean a lot of things to a lot of different producers.A terminal Short horn bull could potentially offer growth yield and marbling in the same package.A bonus not many terminal breeds can offer.
Single trait selection  in this case calving ease is a dead end street.Addressing the breeds #1 roadblock to wider commercial acceptance is a good fad.

Okotoks

r.n.reed said:
Xbar makes a valid point.If you have cows that big and you are selling feeder calves your only hope for a ROI is to breed them to a high growth bull.You are basically locked in.
Dan,I would call this new line you are developing a terminal line.Performance is too general a term and could mean a lot of things to a lot of different producers.A terminal Short horn bull could potentially offer growth yield and marbling in the same package.A bonus not many terminal breeds can offer.
Single trait selection  in this case calving ease is a dead end street.Addressing the breeds #1 roadblock to wider commercial acceptance is a good fad.
Gary, Performance might better describes where we are heading with this line. It will take a few years to get there but I would like a group of mature cows of 1350 to 1500lbs weaning off 55% plus of their body weight while maintaining condition. There are a lot of cows in the breed that do can do that and some are actually more in the 1650 to 1800lb. range but they are a little too big for a lot of conditions. The heifer sibs to the steer calves produced should be able to go into the herd as replacements or also be fed out if needed. I guess we are fortunate because the commercial bull market for shorthorns up here is growing.

r.n.reed

Dan,a good target, I like the 55% weaning weight goal.It has been 12 years I think since I was at your place but I would of thought that you were at the high end of your target cow weights at that time.Not sure what your weaning weights have been but I think you will have a challenge keeping a lid on the mature cow weights while increasing the weaning weights short of adding milking ability if the environment allows it. I am not being critical as I have great respect for your program and have recomended you as a first stop to many planning a Canadian trip.We are seeing some flickers of activity from the commercial arena down here as well and are excited that we are beginning to see some repeat bull customers.

RyanChandler

r.n.reed said:

Let me ask you Gary,  you say if you have "cows that big" your only hope for a return is to breed them to a high growth bull.  It would seem to me that if the growth the sire injects is constant, the smaller your cows are- the larger your margin for profit is.  My thinking is that there are two limitations in this specialized scenario- One is BIRTHWEIGHT.  Obviously 800lb cows can't handle 120lb calves but the question is: what bw can they handle? The second being MILK- if the cow can't provide for the calf's growth potential, the potential can' t be expressed and the point becomes mute.

Since outliers don't replicate themselves, and in this online format- we can only speak in generalities- I think its safe to say that BW and Performance (defined in the most common way as growth rate w/ the rate at which they convert taken into equal consideration) are positively correlated.  For the commercial cattleman breeding his cows for 60lb calves when they can easily handle 80lbs is leaving POUNDS on the table.  This is money he has foregone. Is the producer being adequately compensated for assuming less birthweight risk? Or, by breeding for 60lbers, is he being overly cautious and selling his cows/pocketbook short?  This is where its takes the subjective opinion of each producer to evaluate the potential risk/reward for pushing the envelope within his/her herd.

I would also add that our #1 roadblock to wider commercial acceptance is our SHORTHORN name.  Its a misnomer for polled cattle, its too similar to Longhorn, and there's not but a handful of commercial cattleman, that aren't affiliated w/ show cattle, that even know there's a distinction between beef and milking shorthorns.  Anyone in favor of pushing the Durham name? I'm all for it!

Okotoks said:
r.n.reed said:
Gary, Performance might better describes where we are heading with this line. It will take a few years to get there but I would like a group of mature cows of 1350 to 1500lbs weaning off 55% plus of their body weight while maintaining condition. There are a lot of cows in the breed that do can do that and some are actually more in the 1650 to 1800lb. range but they are a little too big for a lot of conditions. The heifer sibs to the steer calves produced should be able to go into the herd as replacements or also be fed out if needed. I guess we are fortunate because the commercial bull market for shorthorns up here is growing.

I am all for bigger cows so long as they can do what you state: wean 50+% of their body weight and maintain condition.  I have but one question/concern here.  IF your assumption is correct, and If stocking rate is adjusted to a mature lbs/acre ratio,  how can a cow be too big for some conditions?  The conformation of the ideal cow isn't changed because of an increase or decrease in body weight.  Only the scale should change.  If all her dimensions either proportionally increase or decrease, what would prevent the larger cow from being sustainable?

My understanding- perhaps wrong- is that this is the reason 12-1300lbs are perceived as the most profitable... because cattle at this weight class can more commonly hit this 50% goal, whereas the percentage of cows that can hit this goal in larger weight classes diminishes.

I will also say that the top end of your statements gets a little carried away.  There are not a lot of 1800lb cows that can wean 50% on forage diets.  Granted, if you dry lot and bring the food to your cattle a third of the year like many Canadians do, I can see how this number becomes more probable.

In conclusion, I support both types of cattle discussed here.  A specialized approach is as practical in the beef business as it is in any business.  Barring birth weight is not outrageous- defined as more than the cows can handle-,  I would propose using Okotoks bull pictured above over Gary's smaller made cows and capitalizing on the strong suits of both: the rapid growth of the bull's genetics, and the more conservative inputs the smaller made cow could produce on. 

r.n.reed

What I am saying Xbar is that if you have big cows and your market is selling feeder calves you can not afford to breed them to a smaller lower performing bull and sacrifice that potential weight a terminal or growth bull could give you because of the high costs involved in maintaining those cows, it would break you.I dont even think it would be feasible to use a smaller bull to downsize the cows.It would probably be cheaper to ship them and replace as they wore out with purchased cattle.Here again I am talking strictly in a commercial setting.I agree with all you are saying just not sure if you understood my point.
I shipped one of my ''small framed'' cows last week who didn't make the cut.She was in medium flesh at best and weighed 1410lbs after the trip and spending the day at the sale barn.
I think if you have what your customer wants and they are reliably bred to reproduce their kind you can call them rats and they will sell.

aj

Why in the world would you take a "maternal" breed and make them them huge? A maternal breed is not going to carcass up for you. They are going to be inefficient on forage. It is insane. A commercial wants a moderate size cow that has longevity and does the maternal things right. Then you breed these cows to a terminal sire......a carcass sire. It is insane to make a maternal breed the size of wooley mammoths. It is insane to make them the size of even a Charolais. You gotta be half way into common sense to throw a proposal of trying Shorthorn cattle in a crossbreeding system. It is insane. jmo

aj

Doing this production on your own is great but it makes no sense if you try and plug it into a common sense crossbreeding scheme.

RyanChandler

r.n.reed said:
What I am saying Xbar is that if you have big cows and your market is selling feeder calves you can not afford to breed them to a smaller lower performing bull and sacrifice that potential weight a terminal or growth bull could give you because of the high costs involved in maintaining those cows, it would break you.I dont even think it would be feasible to use a smaller bull to downsize the cows.It would probably be cheaper to ship them and replace as they wore out with purchased cattle.Here again I am talking strictly in a commercial setting.I agree with all you are saying just not sure if you understood my point.
I shipped one of my ''small framed'' cows last week who didn't make the cut.She was in medium flesh at best and weighed 1410lbs after the trip and spending the day at the sale barn.
I think if you have what your customer wants and they are reliably bred to reproduce their kind you can call them rats and they will sell.

Regardless of the size of your cows, if your market is selling feeder calves, you can not afford to breed them to a lower performing bull and sacrifice that potential weight a terminal or growth bull could give you.

My question was why did you denote 'big cows' and not just simply 'cows?'

r.n.reed

I was looking at it from the standpoint that if you had a herd of moderate framed maternal type cows you would have more marketing options such as selling replacements or calves for a grass fed program depending on the sire type used.I should have mentioned that but was focused on the fact that the performance race is a catch up scenario_Optimum for the combination of your market and environment is the bottom line.

librarian

I am in upstate New York and there are quite a few grass fed beef producers building herds of this type of moderate framed maternal long lived energy efficient Angus cattle right now. 
See the Octoraro Nov 16 sale catalog for an example: http://www.octoraroangus.com/ 
These are line bred herds (herd being 25-100 animals around here) positioned to supply a uniform calf crop for the growing market for grass finishing feeders to go to custom grazers.  Providing a Shorthorn terminal sire complementary to these cows is a real opportunity to breed for a specialized purpose.  Because of the genetic homogeneity of these strains of Angus cattle, a prepotent Shorthorn sire is just what they will be needing once they have finished with the maternal Angus bulls they are using to build their numbers. The key is to extract extra pounds from heterosis rather than from a frame that grass cannot support. If the Shorthorn breeders are not there with a moderate option (moderate in frame and birth weight, and by the laws of nature, even moderate in milk and growth) , another breed or another Angus strain will be, but to me, none of those possibilities has the bulletproof alchemy of Shorthorn on Angus. If anyone is already there with a bull (besides Mr. Larson and Mr. Sneed) please bring me up to speed.

RyanChandler

Librarian, you're understanding is light years ahead of most post I see.  Though I would like to point out a few things that perhaps could help you with a clearer understanding.

The descriptor terminal is most often used to describe cattle whose characteristics are ANTAGONISTIC to those considered maternal... Rapid growth and higher yield percentages particularly.  A bull like the shorthorn above -while I feel would compliment the low input type of angus you're referring to perfectly- is not a likely candidate to sire anything whose purpose is going into a grass finishing system.  I would bet the dam pictured is well over 2000lbs.  Where that shorthorn bull WOULD excel is being used over those low input type cows who's calves were destined for the feedlot.  His ability to inject growth into a low input system is likely unmatched.

Despite the likely pms youve been sent that would make you only refer to those two breeders, let me assure you that that are dozens of breeders and even hundreds of shorthorns bulls that fulfill your criteria.  Many people, and even one woman in particular,  would try to paint a picture that suggests there are only a few bulls in the breed capable of such. This is terribly deceitful and I would be more than happy to point you in the direction of as many bulls as you have time for.