Pic taking reps for SP.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

farwest said:
So my bulls been out on cows for the last 3 months and just now came to the stud. Do I want him pictured against a bull who just came out of the showbarn.       And then advertised on the web. Bs

Thats why I'm saying if thats an issue then take him to a stud that has a policy against pictures being taken or you tell them they aren't allowed to let anyone take pictures of your bull. It's going to be tough to stop anyone seeing them as long as they allow tours or others owners walk thru the barn.

farwest

We start posting pics on the web of other peoples critters and were going to lose the privelage of going through these studs

aj

In my opinions pictures of bulls are almost worthless. They can be doctored up and manipulated. Thats the thing though on new bulls is to get progency out there and in order to do that you need to promote so I don't know.

kane1598

Thanks for posting the pictures RSC.  I love to see these bulls without all the smoke and mirrors.  Powerhouse is a Heatwave x Wolly Bully.  I have got to say that they all look very impressive.  I am most interested in Mayhem and Crimson Tide. How was there movement?

red

I'll try & get some pictures at the Ohio Beef Expo. They sometimes have AI or new bulls on display.

Red

MYT Farms

red said:
I'll try & get some pictures at the Ohio Beef Expo. They sometimes have AI or new bulls on display.

Red

Yay red!  :D Doc, I agree. If the stud and/owner is against taking pictures of a bull in his working clothes, that's fine. We're not going to be sneaking in and taking photos to TRY and ruin someone's reputation. IMHO, and I know, I'm that whacked out Pharo supporter, you shouldn't be ashamed of a bull any day of the year. Sure, most bulls loose a little condition and don't look show perfect out there. That's how I want to see them. Really don't want to put Kit up in the clouds, but he does take pictures of his bulls in their workin' clothes. Out with cows on native pasture and the picture goes into the A.I. book without any altering. Then the producer can really get an idea of what the bull looks like without long hair and adhesive. But for an example, a local guy here allowed me to be shown some pictures of his Gelbvieh bull out on pasture with the cows. Did he look ready to walk into the show ring? Not really. Is he a pretty dern good bull all things considered? You bet. Sorry for rambling again. My $0.02.

MYT Farms

red said:
Also the bull displays at Denver will be a great place!

Red
Well, I don't know how many of you are going up there, but I will be there. I will most likely be there on Gelbvieh day to look a bull or two over that I have interest in.

ROMAX

That $ 83,000 bull I AM LEGEND isn't really as impressive as all those other bulls, looks like theres lots of leather up front on him.EYE CANDY looks like a meat wagon.Is anyone going to have calves out of either of these bulls in the spring?

farwest

Let's  contact every owner of every bull mentioned on this thead and ask them permission on these pics and any others any time we want to snap them and see where it gets us.  I totally disagree with the person for starting this thread.  It should be by permission by owners to have some reps on steer planet giving out continuous info on these bulls as the person who started this thread is asking for.

RSC

Hello Everyone,  I put the pictures up for a while.  I was hesitant to do it at first anyway.  I agree with Farwest,  some of the breeders might get pretty testy about how their bulls look in picutres on the web.  I did ask Hawkeye if I could take pictures and they said no problem.

RSC

linnettejane

farwest said:
I'd be really careful what you said or what you show. You might need a good attorney. 

im not challenging what you're saying or trying to start an argument......BUT.....that really wouldnt be a one way street, would it?....what about all the bull owners who add hair here and doctor photos there to sell a product that really isnt what it appears to be?  deceiving the consumer, selling a false product....hmmm....just something else to think about....

(and i am in no way saying this is the case on the bulls pic'd above, just a comment in general about a topic related to this topic) 

MYT Farms

farwest said:
Let's  contact every owner of every bull mentioned on this thead and ask them permission on these pics and any others any time we want to snap them and see where it gets us.  I totally disagree with the person for starting this thread.  It should be by permission by owners to have some reps on steer planet giving out continuous info on these bulls as the person who started this thread is asking for.

Well, I don't think I'd go about it that way. I'd simply ask the owner if I could have some pics of their bull when he wasn't fit. I snap some shots, the owner looks them over, and then he says whether or not I could post them. I could give him/her the site(s) that the pics will be on so he/she can review them. Sound good? I just want pictures of bulls that aren't in perfect condition and aren't fit to the hilt. I want to see what one really looks like. If the owner can't do that, either he's a terminal bull or we're sadly far away from making cattle that can "rough it". JMO.

farwest

I don't think that was what you said or meant at the start of the thread. Bulls have good days and bad days. There's professional photographers and there's those whom shouldn't owne a camera

red

I think if the bulls are on display the owners shouldn't have a problem if asked. I guess in my mind there shouldn't be comments on what you thought.
parentage, age & any EPD's would be good.

Red

TJ

MYT Farms said:
red said:

Red

Yay red!  :D Doc, I agree. If the stud and/owner is against taking pictures of a bull in his working clothes, that's fine. We're not going to be sneaking in and taking photos to TRY and ruin someone's reputation. IMHO, and I know, I'm that whacked out Pharo supporter, you shouldn't be ashamed of a bull any day of the year. Sure, most bulls loose a little condition and don't look show perfect out there. That's how I want to see them. Really don't want to put Kit up in the clouds, but he does take pictures of his bulls in their workin' clothes. Out with cows on native pasture and the picture goes into the A.I. book without any altering. Then the producer can really get an idea of what the bull looks like without long hair and adhesive. But for an example, a local guy here allowed me to be shown some pictures of his Gelbvieh bull out on pasture with the cows. Did he look ready to walk into the show ring? Not really. Is he a pretty dern good bull all things considered? You bet. Sorry for rambling again. My $0.02.

Speaking of Kit & his semen catalogue... When I took that picture of Doc Holliday, he had come straight out of the cows (fall calving), it was February, and he had not had been receiving any grain... just winter pasture & hay.  I didn't doll him up, clip him or even brush or blow him.  I was all by myself, so I walked him into the corral, made him stand next to the pipes (so I could keep him still & in position better), I stepped back & I took a few pictures.  What you see is exactly what you get. 

If a stud owner is against taking pictures, I wouldn't take them.  If an owner is against taking pictures, I wouldn't take them.  However, if they are at a stud, that basically the same as being on dsiplay somehwere!  IMHO, as long as a bull is set up 1/2 decent & if the picture is decent, if an owner gets upset because somebody posts a picture of their bull on the net, they probably don't have a very good bull to start with.  If Hawkeye or any other stud says that it's OK, then it's OK.  And if one of the owners throws a fit or if they file a law suit against somebody, everyone will quickly know who not to do business with & what bull not to use.  I know that sounds harsh, but it's reality & I don't care if they did come straight off the cows... a good bull should be made available for public viewing & pictures at any time... period.  If not, the public shouldn't be using that bull.  The only exception is if the bull had recently gotten really sick or suffered an injury.  Just my opinion. 

I think linnettejane makes a good point about deception.  ;)   

BTW, anyone who wants to drive to the collection facility where Doc Holliday currently is being housed, has my permission to take his picture, just as long as it's decent quality & as long as he is standing in a 1/2 way decent postition & you can post it.  For that matter, you are welcome to come here & take pictures of him as well, as long as I have a couple days notice so that I can let you know if somebody will be around when you show up.  I'm not ashamed of & I have nothing to hide. 

TJ                     

MYT Farms

TJ said:
MYT Farms said:
red said:

Red

Speaking of Kit & his semen catalogue... When I took that picture of Doc Holliday, he had come straight out of the cows (fall calving), it was February, and he had not had been receiving any grain... just winter pasture & hay.  I didn't doll him up, clip him or even brush or blow him.   I was all by myself, so I walked him into the corral, made him stand next to the pipes (so I could keep him still & in position better), I stepped back & I took a few pictures.  What you see is exactly what you get. 

If a stud owner is against taking pictures, I wouldn't take them.  If an owner is against taking pictures, I wouldn't take them.  However, if they are at a stud, that basically the same as being on dsiplay somehwere!  IMHO, as long as a bull is set up 1/2 decent & if the picture is decent, if an owner gets upset because somebody posts a picture of their bull on the net, they probably don't have a very good bull to start with.  If Hawkeye or any other stud says that it's OK, then it's OK.  And if one of the owners throws a fit or if they file a law suit against somebody, everyone will quickly know who not to do business with & what bull not to use.  I know that sounds harsh, but it's reality & I don't care if they did come straight off the cows... a good bull should be made available for public viewing & pictures at any time... period.  If not, the public shouldn't be using that bull.  The only exception is if the bull had recently gotten really sick or suffered an injury.  Just my opinion. 

I think linnettejane makes a good point about deception.   ;)   

BTW, anyone who wants to drive to the collection facility where Doc Holliday currently is being housed, has my permission to take his picture, just as long as it's decent quality & as long as he is standing in a 1/2 way decent postition & you can post it.  For that matter, you are welcome to come here & take pictures of him as well, as long as I have a couple days notice so that I can let you know if somebody will be around when you show up.  I'm not ashamed of & I have nothing to hide. 

TJ                       

Precisely what I was trying to get at. Thanks TJ.As I said, if the breeder says you can take the pictures and then approves of them, it should be fine. Good way of saying that, TJ.

farwest

The as long as you talk about are the problem. Thanks for the enlightenment

bcosu

powerhouse is a heatwave son. the pictures of ricky bobby calves were very nice. wouldn't be the first time an animal was better in person than in the picture.