Pickups

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakview

I have a real problem with a $60,000 vehicle falling apart with 50,000 miles on it.  That's my main issue with Fords.  I had a new 1990 Dodge 3/4 ton 4 X 4 gas that had virtually no problems, it was a manual transmission, until it hit 210,000 miles.  It was cheaper to put in a rebuilt engine than go through the old on.  My father in law is still using it to feed hay in Missouri.  It just didn't have the power to pull a 24 foot trailer so I switched to the Ford 7.3s.  Unfortunately, even though I waited until the third year of the 6.0s, it wasn't enough.

R1Livestock

I've got a 1996 original P pump one ton Cummins with the 5 speed manual.  It's got 213xxx and has had way more money in body work done to it than mechanical work.  Someday it will die, but I hope that day is far in the future.  Until the motor pukes, I'll keep fixing the interior and body.  There is just something about a truck that has earned your trust that makes you feel loyal to it. 

kristophersix6

im with Shrek, you wont be disapointed with a Chevy, my uncle has an o2 duramax with well over 300, 000 miles on it, hes had it since mile one, never not wanted to start, never has had a problem with it, we farm a great deal of acers so it is constintly getting worked, i think you should take another shot at a Chevy.

DRB

RankeCattleCo said:
DRB-
My dad has a 98 dodge 1/2 ton with 52,000 miles on it.
The tranny was replaced 2.5 years ago with 43,500 miles on it.
It is now currently in a salvage yard because 3 days ago we learned that it needed ANOTHER new tranny.
Not dependable.  If I were you I'd steer WAY clear of dodge gassers.

Thanks - my dad has a 2007 gas dodge 1500, it's been descent for us, but it has low miles as it isn't driven very far for the most part.

I was interested with the new Fords (and I guess others) that have a lot more towing capacity with the base 150 model.  Thought people were saying that since the 150 could do what the 250 use to, they didn't seem much point to a 250... with the new crop.

justintime

I just bought a Ford F 350 diesel after been a Chevy convert for many years. The last Ford I drove was a 1986 3/4 ton diesel, that I put over 360,000 miles ( over 600,000 kms) on and had never replaced anything but the altenator. The doors still closed great and were as tight as the day it came off the assembly line. I sold that truck to a young guy who was a mechanic and he is still driving it, and he recently told me that he did some work on the motor, just because he felt it probably needed it with that many miles on it. That motor now has over 550,000 miles on it and he says he would not be worried taking this truck on a long trip, even with that many miles on it. It was the best truck I have ever owned.

Since then I have had 3 Chevy one ton dually. All have been good trucks with one exception. Every one of them has had major issues with their doors. It seems the pins in the hinges are made of putty , as I have had to replace them on a regular basis. I have also had lots of issues with the door handles breaking off and I have had 3 of these break in my last Chevy in the past year. Other than that, I thought the Chevy's were very good trucks.

I like the new Dodge trucks but I could not get a good deal on one. I got the F 350 Ford for $20,000 less than the Dodge dealer was wanting.( the Ford dealer was really in a selling mood) Everyone I have talked with who has one of these new Ford trucks told me the same thing... that they really liked them, and that they had lots of power and were pretty good on fuel. I would say that this new Ford is the most powerful truck I have ever driven. It is also a very quiet truck to ride in... much quieter than the Dodge I tried out. I have only had the trailer on it once, and it seemed to have just as much power as it did without the trailer on it. As far as fuel economy, I have not checked it. Every person I spoke with commented about the great fuel milage the new Ford's had , but I never take the time to check that. When the fuel gage gets under half, it is time to fill it.

Here where I live, I have been told that the local Ford dealer is selling twice as many trucks as either the Chev or Dodge dealers are. The Chev dealer is a large dealership with about 4 Xs as many salesmen as the other dealerships so I do not know if this is true or not, but I would say I am seeing a pile of Fords on the roads. Maybe I am just noticing this because I now have one!