please explain these carcass results to me

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond G

This steer was by an angus bull out of a hereford cow (with some brahma)

Are these results good? he spent 160 days on feed. starting weight was 756lbs

LW - 1285

REA - 13.2

FT - 0.49

%KPH - 2.5

QG - CHOICE-

YG - 3.0

Belties R Us

It depends on what you consider good. He graded a low choice which is good and a YG 3 is also good. From what I know that is the base of grid pricing. Anything less or higher receives a discount or a bonus. When cattle are bought on the grid they receive discounts for being dairy type, being too fat, having to heavy of a carcass weight, being too old, for meat quality problems among other things. If you want to see an example pricing grid go to this website http://www.meatscience.org/page.aspx?id=5071 and click on the current pricing sheet. REA, FT, and KPH all contribute to the yield grade. The quality grade is just dependent on marbling. I have been told Brahma influenced cattle don't grade well so it's impressive if that is true. REA is dependent on muscling. I have seen cattle anywhere from an 8 inch to over a 22 inch ribeye. 13 is probably close to the average. Desirable fat thickness is between .4 and .6. The base of KPH is 3.5 with less being better. Hopefully that makes some sense to you. He sounds like the profitable kind of steer.

Limiman12

Means his value increase 2.11 per day on feed.  If you were feeding $1 of feed per day, you would have been making 1.11.  If you fed 3.11 of feed per day you lost a buck every day......

garybob

merry13 said:
It depends on what you consider good. He graded a low choice which is good and a YG 3 is also good. From what I know that is the base of grid pricing. Anything less or higher receives a discount or a bonus. When cattle are bought on the grid they receive discounts for being dairy type, being too fat, having to heavy of a carcass weight, being too old, for meat quality problems among other things. If you want to see an example pricing grid go to this website http://www.meatscience.org/page.aspx?id=5071 and click on the current pricing sheet. REA, FT, and KPH all contribute to the yield grade. The quality grade is just dependent on marbling. I have been told Brahma influenced cattle don't grade well so it's impressive if that is true. REA is dependent on muscling. I have seen cattle anywhere from an 8 inch to over a 22 inch ribeye. 13 is probably close to the average. Desirable fat thickness is between .4 and .6. The base of KPH is 3.5 with less being better. Hopefully that makes some sense to you. He sounds like the profitable kind of steer.
Lotsa calves sired by Angus Bulls and out of F1 and F2 Ear-cross cows Grade Choice, with less Backfat. Fact!

GB <cowboy>