Please Help!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

hj.380

Hi, I recently got a new calf, she is eight months old, and she is built very well. Sadly though, she comes with a huge problem. The calf likes to test me by pawing the ground and running at me a few steps. I feed her twice a day, and she only goes to the feed if I'm completely across or out of the pen. She is an angus heifer, and my second show calf. I cannot get close to her and not sure what to do to break her. She is in the smallest functioning pen we have, which is about half- 1 acre. If i advance towards her, she runs away. What should I do to get close to her? I have sat in the field for an hour and a half and she just stands and paws the ground while staring at me, and if I slightly move it sends her running away. She is a very nice calf, and would make a great show calf if only I could break her. I see a ton of potential in her, and really don't want to trade her for another calf! What would you do?

GoWyo

First step is to plant some posts in the ground and build a pen so you can work with her.  Based on your description, she seems to be scared and is just displaying fight or flight.  Has she been around people much?

Also, if you have a nice gentle calf to put with her, that would probably help quite a bit too.

Chuck Wagon

What would I do?  Build a 10x10 pen that she can't jump over and work on trust because she's scared.  I like spirited calves, so there is hope.  Feed and water in pen for a few days so she gets used to you.  Read on here about halter breaking, get in pen with halter but don't put it on her .  Toss it on ground so she can smell it, rub it on her back etc.  needs to see the halter as non threatening but you have to be patient, take baby steps since you are not experienced.  At some point slip the halter on her and drop it.  I don't like them to drag halter overnight or if I'm not around because it could hang on something. Besides, you and her need practice putting on and taking off. Be careful about tying her head up for a long time early in training if she jerks a lot. Main thing is take it slow and be patient

hj.380

Thank you all! This is helpful! I'll definitely try to build a smaller pen, and try to gain her trust!