Please watch this!! I am VERY concerned how this was portrayed!

Help Support Steer Planet:

american honey

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Inside-a-Slaughterhouse-Video/topic/oprahshow

Please watch this video on the Oprah, they portrayed cattle being processed and it concerns me that many people have seen this video. If you care about the future of the cattle industry you would watch this. I have read the comments left by other viewers of this video, my friends and I where VERY upset. WE decided to make a profile "AGISLIFE" (that's our screen name)  and educate and explain. Once again I ask that you watch this!! Thanks! Lindsey!

blackcows

american honey said:
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Inside-a-Slaughterhouse-Video/topic/oprahshow

Please watch this video on the Oprah, they portrayed cattle being processed and it concerns me that many people have seen this video. If you care about the future of the cattle industry you would watch this. I have read the comments left by other viewers of this video, my friends and I where VERY upset. WE decided to make a profile "AGISLIFE" (that's our screen name)  and educate and explain. Once again I ask that you watch this!! Thanks! Lindsey!

I just watched the video and I think it was very well done.  The video didn't portray anything, what the video showed was the reality of the process of feeding and harvesting cattle.  I would says good job to Cargil for allowing this to be done in such a classy way.  I thought the manager did a great job with her answers.  If you watch the lady that is taking the tour you can see at first she is somewhat shocked by all she is seeing but as the tour goeson she seems to be impressed by the fact that they use everything but the moo and also how efficient the process is.

I would have no concern about people outside of the ag world seeing this, I would much prefer them seeing this as one of those hidden camera videos that show up from HSUS or PETA.

Mike

shortyjock89

100% agree with blackcows.  That was an accurate and respectful representation of what really happens at large slaughter plants.  Not one bit of a negative image, if anything there was a certain respect from the reporter towards the whole process.  I rather liked the video, and would encourage the public to watch it.  What happens to the cattle in the time they go from the feetlot to our plates isn't necessarily pretty, why would we want to pretend that is it?  It IS necessary though.  There will always be radicals in every issue, and this video won't sway vicious "animal rights" activists, but it can inform the general population on what actually happens to cattle before they eat them.

justme

I'm with the other too AMerican Honey.  I'm proud that they showed a clean, efficient place of havest of these animals.  Many times they show guys yelling and yipping at the animals ect.  This piece was well done.

Animnal rights activists wouldn't be happy either way...

ai er

I thought the video was spot on.  It was a reality.  Now for something humerous, read the comments on the page below the video.  Some people have no clue...

SFASUshowman

I agree, I think the video was spot on with the reality of how most major slaughter facilities work.  Animals are treated calmly and with dignity and out of respect for the animal we dont waste any part of the animal.  I think its a very important message to send to the public, it may be hard for some to watch, but important non the less.

Aussie

After watching this I thought it was very well done. From the vision to the explanation all very factual and I think non confronting. To people that are not used to this environment there is no easy way to show animals slaughtered but this showing the animals all calm and quiet. The reporter even seemed imprested and happy with things at the end. Sorry American Honey but it was very well done and it is a clip that I think more people should see.

lowann

I thought it was done very well. Kudos to Cargill for implementing Temple Grandin's method of moving cattle.
The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. No cattle bellering, rushing around panicked, nothing. I come from a family of packing house workers. My husband for a few years, My Dad retired from Armours after being a pipe fitter foreman for 35 years. He took me through the kill floor in 1974. Both cattle, and hogs. It was a whole different scenario. Very disturbing. Animals, and humans in a panicked state.
Things have changed for the better throughout the years  in most cases. This show proved it.

fordkindagirl

I agree that the video was a good one. I especially liked how the manager answered the animal rights question. And as for the animal rights activist- there will always be the fact that animals have to be slaughtered before the meat can be used, its just how it works. But I guess I have a different view considering my dad use to be the manager of a USDA slaughter plant lol.

Lakeshore Show Cattle

Finally a video that proves those of us in ag do care about the animals, even when butchered. I will definitly use this video later on to show people the truth. Of course slaughtering is not a pretty thing, no one enjoys it but it must be done. One thing people forget is how much they complain about the price of food and how they want it cheaper but cant understand why mass production is needed, simple concept if you ask me.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Very good representation of what is done an quite imppressive the effeciency an measures taken to make it  healthy, safe for workers an animals ..
Just think of all the different products made to help  the human population from that carcass ..

kobo_ranch

I agree I watched the show that day.  I was just pleased they did such a good job there at Cargil.  Yes they were talking about going Vegan on there... but after seeing how sterile and well ran that processing plant was I would think most level headed realistic beef eating people would appreciate where the beef comes from.  Wish they were all that well ran.  I also was VERY impressed with you young woman that was the main manager of that plant!  Really shows how empowering women can be especially in agricultural fields.  She did a awesome job... bet her folks are proud of her!

flacowman

kobo not to rain on your parade and I don't know either way but remember cargill is still family owned...she may well have been a daughter etc...

american honey

The only thing that concerns me is that they didn't explain anything, or tell how it was humane. It was a very nice video but how are the people not educated suppose to know that its the most humane way? Did any of you read the comments? Some where very disturbing, and that is what scared me the most! That is mainly what I wanted to get, I should have explained my motives.

american honey

Aussie said:
After watching this I thought it was very well done. From the vision to the explanation all very factual and I think non confronting. To people that are not used to this environment there is no easy way to show animals slaughtered but this showing the animals all calm and quiet. The reporter even seemed imprested and happy with things at the end. Sorry American Honey but it was very well done and it is a clip that I think more people should see.

I didn't like the way Oprah portrayed it, it seemed like she was saying it was wrong and that people shouldn't eat meat. And then the comments left, I thought it would be nice if someone from the cattle industry could explain. You shouldn't be sorry for your opinion! I am very glad that everyone is commenting on this post, good or bad, I can not judge because we all have our own opinions. 

american honey

justme said:
I'm with the other too AMerican Honey.  I'm proud that they showed a clean, efficient place of havest of these animals.  Many times they show guys yelling and yipping at the animals ect.  This piece was well done.

Animnal rights activists wouldn't be happy either way...

But I think they should have explained some of the things, because if I knew nothing about the cattle industry and saw this I would be very curious if it was a good thing or bad thing.

american honey

cowgirl864 said:
As a retired USDA meat inspector myself, I thought the video was correct & very professionaly done

Did you enjoy your job as a USDA meat inspector, it sounds like a very interesting job!

american honey

The on
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
100% agree with blackcows.  That was an accurate and respectful representation of what really happens at large slaughter plants.  Not one bit of a negative image, if anything there was a certain respect from the reporter towards the whole process.  I rather liked the video, and would encourage the public to watch it.  What happens to the cattle in the time they go from the feetlot to our plates isn't necessarily pretty, why would we want to pretend that is it?  It IS necessary though.  There will always be radicals in every issue, and this video won't sway vicious "animal rights" activists, but it can inform the general population on what actually happens to cattle before they eat them.
l

It upsets me that no one was able to explain the video. It would have been better if there was someone there to explain parts of the video.