Point Taken Calf raised by Bill Pitz, Farley IA

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

Ben, what did you name the bull that you bought @ Olhrich's sale and is he freezing yet? Brent

BKCC

Brent,
we named him trademark and he froze today at Nichols.  Ads out next month.
Thanks
Ben

ruhtram

This calf looks great! Are there any other calves you've seen that look this good?

farmboy

NECROBUMP

what ever happened to this calf. anyone else have any point taken calves? i searched and found a few on here. Looking at using him on a flush of the dirty hairy cow.

ploughshare

I was told that this calf matured early and turned into a county fair type steer.  Basically he ran out of gas.  I never saw the steer, but this is what I was told.

ploughshare

CM Cattle said:
I would like to see some more calves out of him.

CM, I agree.  It would be not too smart or fair to judge Point Taken on one calf.

Chap

i have a Point Taken heifer that will sell in the IA Beef EXpo chi sale.  she is the calf pictured in my avatar.  she is out of a commercial maine/angus cow.  also included a pic of a PT steer that GRIFF bot from me out of a cigar cow.  I had best luck using him on jack necked, square rumped cows.  calves definately have enough muscle. 

Attachments

• O14 PT fall.jpg
    O14 PT fall.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 206

Show Heifer

Just read this post... wasn't heatwave reported to have a "90-95" bw in the beginning?  I guess somehow that grew over the course of the past few years!

It is hard to judge a bull on just a few calves.... or in my opinion, a year worth of calves. Heatwave is great due to the HUGE number of cows he is bred to every year, and the type of cows (the best) he is bred to.  Not saying he doesn't throw them good, but the odds are stacked in his favor by the shear numbers he is bred to.

It will be interesting to see what the next "great one is".  Think it will take a few years to finally "discover" them, when they are right under our nose now!!

Bone2011

Show Heifer said:
Just read this post... wasn't heatwave reported to have a "90-95" bw in the beginning?  I guess somehow that grew over the course of the past few years!

It is hard to judge a bull on just a few calves.... or in my opinion, a year worth of calves. Heatwave is great due to the HUGE number of cows he is bred to every year, and the type of cows (the best) he is bred to.  Not saying he doesn't throw them good, but the odds are stacked in his favor by the shear numbers he is bred to.

It will be interesting to see what the next "great one is".  Think it will take a few years to finally "discover" them, when they are right under our nose now!!
Like the old saying goes "the more times you swing, the more likely you are to hit a home run"

WFCC

that calf is 6 weeks old? i hope my point taken calves look like that at 6 weeks!

savaged

Saw this exact picture months ago....if they are saying that's a recent calf.  If not, how old is he now and what is he growin into?

OH Breeder

savaged said:
Saw this exact picture months ago....if they are saying that's a recent calf.   If not, how old is he now and what is he growin into?

It would be nice to see how he turned out.

Show Heifer

WFCC  :  You should wait to see how he developes..... most of those "killer calves" (both in looks and the result of the cow) piddle out and just flat do not grow. This calf looks to be really mature for his age, which leads me to think he will mature very young and very small.  Anyone with a current pic of the calf or has he disappeared?