Point Taken vs. Monopoly

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowman

Ok, it's astounding to look back over the past 3 years and see the number of promotional bulls that didn't make it. These 2 seem to have proven themselves. I have had calves out of Point Taken, and watched him grow into an impressive mature bull. Monopoly I have not seen. The Point Taken's get better with age, the Monopoly's look like fat steers in September. So my question is if you had a cow you felt was really good and quite honestly outside of adding a little power your only goal was to not screw her up, who do you use?

Have bulls like Invincible or Immortal or Mayhem entered the discussion yet?

What have you seen to compare these bulls?

All responses appreciated.

drl

If you are in the business of selling show calves in or around September, your sentence of Monopoly's look like fat steers in September should make up your mind. The Monopolys I have had are all sound, hairy, thick, and the customers loved them. I was using a bull for a while that the calves would do great as yearlings but I couldn't sell them for much as calves. Since I am too old to show junior show anymore it doesn't make sense or dollars to use that bull any more.

cowman

drl said:
If you are in the business of selling show calves in or around September, your sentence of Monopoly's look like fat steers in September should make up your mind. The Monopolys I have had are all sound, hairy, thick, and the customers loved them. I was using a bull for a while that the calves would do great as yearlings but I couldn't sell them for much as calves. Since I am too old to show junior show anymore it doesn't make sense or dollars to use that bull any more.

I hear ya, my comment about Monopoly was intended as nothing if not a compliment. I just wondered how much power he will add, I simply don't know because I haven't had the chance to use him yet. Thanks for the comments.

mlcattle

we have two cows bred to monopoly... everyone says use him to your bigger framed cows and he will drop them in size a bit and add all the guts you need. i love this bull.. his calves are very nice.

Chap

had some this year, was luke warm on them at birth, but they have come on pretty nicely since.  Sold a steer that is looking pretty salty and i will have a heifer on a maine/angus cow at the IA Beef Expo chi sale.  She is really coming on nicely.  I think you need to use him on great necked, level rumped ones,  he seems to add muscle and the cattle have grown quite nicely. 

DLD

I've seen very few Point Taken calves in OK and TX.  Lots of Monopolies, and I like them - well enough to use him on most of my black fall calvers.  I thought about trying Point Taken based on some things I'd seen and heard here, but the ones I've seen in person weren't special enough to convince me.

WFCC

seems like my turn and carnac could possibly also be thrown into this conversation as far as the most productive bulls

GoWyo

What are the Monopoly calves birth weights running?  Having to pull, c-section, or are they coming easy?

cattleman8807

use monopoly on something that has the muscle already his calves are not thick enough and don't have very big butts for steers that is but on of my friends use monopoly on some $800 char cross cows and sold the one for 16000 to matt lautner and the other one sold for 13000 to bob may.  so if you are going for steers point taken

qbcattle

If your cow is as solid as you say it is almost hard to go wrong. Point Taken and monopoly alike will work well for you i think but i also would not leave immortal out of the mix, his calves are pretty consistently stamped with stoutness and moderate frame. Go with your gut and good luck!

qbcattle

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Monopoly, Jimmy the Greek, Immortal, Polygraph,in that order,without mentioning HW.
Yall really feel that strongly about Jimmy the Greek? I havent had any personal experience with him but the majority of the calves i have seen have been stamped with thickness but they have also been consistently tight gutted and that is with being put on deep big ribbed moderate kinda cows. im not bashing him i just find it suprising he is that high up on ur lists JMO how has yalls experience with him been?

kfacres

I loved our JtG's...  Super moderate, very thick- huge boned, and really easy feeding... They were all excessive in guts, and flank.  Had loads of hair too!  Could have been a tad early maturing, and maybe too small, if dammed by a more moderate cow...  really put the look in one too!  Our's might have had a notch of shoulder on them, but with that much power behind, you'd have to expect that... Wasn't bad, but not whistle fronted...  Honestly, I can't fault him much more- we even used him on some heifers...  Prob shouldn't have, but did...  had a mix up in the semen tank...  oops... 

he is on my very short list of clubby bulls to continue to use... HW isn't! 

qbcattle

interesting to know...thanks! he is one that i have always been curious about but have never seen or heard anything convincing enough to use him... starting to maybe look promising...