Politically correct way to handle lethal genetic defects?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Is there someway to encourage the reduction of lethal genetic defects. All breeds. I'll use the Shorthorn  assc as a example. Allow pha carriers to be registered and shown. However they can't show in the "National show". Would this keep people happy on both sides of the fence......while devaluing the pha carriers. Would it keep the sue happy people.....happy. Do the Angus, Red Angus, Simmis, Gelbviehs allow carriers of lethal genetic defects to be shown.

knabe

yes.  it's being done.  it's not politically correct, it's just a balance.

absolutists don't like anything. sort of redundant.

Doc

aj said:
Is there someway to encourage the reduction of lethal genetic defects. All breeds. I'll use the Shorthorn  assc as a example. Allow pha carriers to be registered and shown. However they can't show in the "National show". Would this keep people happy on both sides of the fence......while devaluing the pha carriers. Would it keep the sue happy people.....happy. Do the Angus, Red Angus, Simmis, Gelbviehs allow carriers of lethal genetic defects to be shown.

Since when can they not show in the "National Show" or any show for that matter? You don't have to defect test to get papers, so how would they know if I was showing a PHAC or not? They don't!!!

aj

Maybe for the National show......they have to test free of genetic defects.....just like passing the health paper test's. Maybe turn around time will speed up as technology improves. Its all in theory. Will technology ever get so good that a show day tech shows up and test's?

knabe

aj said:
Maybe for the National show......they have to test free of genetic defects.....just like passing the health paper test's. Maybe turn around time will speed up as technology improves. Its all in theory. Will technology ever get so good that a show day tech shows up and test's?

Troll.

Maybe just think a little more and say one can buy whatever, and edit whatever ..that way you can make something no one wants and people can make what they want.

Maybe technology will get so good we can come up with a troll box where all the trolls get together and we can edit them to not be a troll and edit them so they can make something at least one other person wants.

Perhaps technology will get so good we can just mandate that the trolls just go away, which is really what you want. You really just have no idea what you are really asking.

Doc

Troll.

Maybe just think a little more and say one can buy whatever, and edit whatever ..that way you can make something no one wants and people can make what they want.

Maybe technology will get so good we can come up with a troll box where all the trolls get together and we can edit them to not be a troll and edit them so they can make something at least one other person wants.

Perhaps technology will get so good we can just mandate that the trolls just go away, which is really what you want. You really just have no idea what you are really asking.
[/quote]

My bad. Didn't pay attention that this was AJ and his dream world. I did notice that he said PHAC, but not THC. If he had said THC, that means he wouldn't be able to take his bulls to Denver, correct?

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

Out to mutual personal attacks by some members.....what is the problem to show TH, PH or DS carriers? Which injury this can promove on the breed?

If the intention is to control the genetic defects, ban all male carriers of semen companies. Making the decision to buy/use carriers ate a personal level.

Because otherwise it will just be an excuse for mutual cyber agressions without reason. Making zero progress on breed improvement!

knabe

Sufficient people are aware by now that politically correct is a synonym for tyranny with a smile.

Advocating for a politically correct solution reveals your true nature.

Most people at first are for a politically correct solution until it affects them personally, but by the it is too late.

First they came for the . . . . . .

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007392

Gators Rule

Personally, I don't care if show folks want to use carriers for their stock or not, but I do believe there should be a method that would make other folks aware that a particular animal is Free or a Carrier when that animal is offered for sale to the general public, such as at a sale barn.  How this would be carried out though....I have no idea.  If a cow or a bull were to be guaranteed to go to slaughter, then this is a non-issue, but often it's not, and an unsuspecting buyer is potentially bringing a "defective" cow or bull into his or her herd, but has no idea they are doing so.

Not sure why the personal attacks are out there, but that's someone else's beef, not mine.    All I know is most people, especially small time hobby farmers have never even heard of THC or PHAC, so they would not be looking into a cow's genetics on a spur of the moment purchase (sale barn).  It's easy to come up with an opinion, but not so easy to come up with a logical solution.

aj

I think they should reveal each animal in the show as carriers or non carriers. Put it right on the sheet with the wda. It should be considered as part of the important data. If its now big deal then its no big deal. If you are gonna show carriers.....at least label them. I would consider it a economical value trait measurement.

BroncoFan

There are positives associated with these genetic defects otherwise they would have been bred out a long time ago. I think some people go overboard by breeding carrier to carrier. I sure wouldn't but it isn't my place to tell others how to run their operations. Until there's a THF bull that will replace the THC bulls on my THF cows then I'll continue to use THC bulls.