• Sun Belt Conference

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Western Athletic Conference

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Forget it, we're disbanding our programs

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

carl s.

It seems that in all the conference realignment, nobody has talked about the realistic opportunities for these two schools going forward.

oakview

In my view, none of the options are satisfactory.  The reallignment talk just reinforces the fact that the tail completely wags the dog.  The only consideration is money.  Let's face it.  There are really only a handful of 'schools' that want can compete for the national championship and they want all the money.  Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan (used to, anyway), USC, Florida, and a few others are the only ones that can consistently compete.  Sure, there are a few wannabes that can occasionally get up there, but the big shots just want more money for themselves.  I believe this is a time when college presidents and/or the board of regents have to forcefully say what the central mission of their school is and it has nothing to do with fielding a national championship football team.  There aren't a lot of bigger college athletic fans than me, but to call this amateur athletics and to refer to these guys as student athletes is a joke.  Why should a college have a $50 million athletic budget in an era of annuall double digit tuition increases?  I know, athletic support doesn't come from the school's actual budget in many cases.  Maybe the colleges should solicit contributions for academic achievement with as much fervor as they pursue donations from those who somehow satisfy their ego by giving a million dollars to a football team. I have never understood why an educational institution can accomplish their true purpose by giving 85 guys a football scholarship.  I would prefer the teams that want all the money for themselves declare independence from the NCAA .  They would then be free to do what they want, which they pretty much do now anyway, with no worry about getting caught paying the players and they can negotiate their own TV contract.  You really think that Northwestern would be on a level playing field with Texas?

Davis Shorthorns

Any of those options would be such a HUGE step backwards for either program that I dont think it will happen.  If they disband the big 12 KSU should go to the big 10 (12,13, 14, whatever it is now.) or sec.  Either conferance would bennifit from a college with both the accidemic and athletic prowis as KSU. 

carl s.

The Big Ten is pretty proud of their academic standards with the lowest ranked school in the conference being #71 in the USN&WR ranking.  There are only two Big XII schools even ranked that high, Texas and Texas A&M.

Even Missouri and Nebraska would bring down their academic standards.  There’s no way they’d consider a tier three school such as Kansas State.  You’re not going to get invited to any conference based on academic “prowis”.

Why would the SEC want Kansas State?  It doesn’t bring a media market to the table that anybody cares about.  Other than a recently strong basketball program, K-State doesn’t live up the standards of the SEC and if basketball mattered Kansas would have at least been mentioned in talks. 

Davis Shorthorns

KSU has one of the best Vet schools, enginering schools and animal science programs in the nation.  Along with a good basketball team, a football team that is at least as competitive as the bottom of both the sec or big whatever.  A baseball team that make the NCAA's a second straight year.  So you can say all you want oh and what other college has as many Rhodes scholors as KSU???

carl s.

Unfortunately for KSU, conferences care more about reality than promotional material put out by schools.

Your engineering school is just barely top 100, right there with LSU.

Your vet school is 18th out of 28.

Making the NCAAs in two straight years is an expectation in the SEC, not something to brag about.  Nobody seems to care about Kansas and their bookoos of basketball national titles, why do you think they'd care one bit about making regionals two years in a row in a non-revenue sport?

Nobody cares about that Rhodes Scholar thing your school keeps harping on when it’s still a tier three university.

There’s are a bunch of reasons nobody has mentioned KSU is any of the rumors.  The main thing to help display the reality of the situation is the fact that KU has KSU beat in virtually every academic and athletic category yet not even they have been mentioned in conference expansion talk.

JSchroeder

There's simply no way the Big Ten will invite a non-AAU school.

All that aside though, media markets and television draw have more to do with the fact that ISU and KSU are being left ouf the discussion than anything else.

kanshow

Carl s.  if no one cares, then why does the title of this post have KSU  in it.   Davis hit some of the high points about KState and they are valid.  There are a lot of KSU Alum & loyal Wildcat fans on here.    I'm proud to say I am one of them.  

carl s.

Que?

I wrote the title because I know there are a bunch of KSU and ISU fans on here.  I said nobody cares about that Rhode’s scholar stat that K-State uses to promote itself outside of K-State alumni.  The bottom line is academics are a liability not an asset for KSU in this realignment talk.

It sucks what your school is going through but that doesn’t mean you get to start fabricating academic ‘prowis’.

trevorgreycattleco

Unfortunately it all boils down to football money. No matter what you here this is where it's at. University of Kentucky has prolly the most popular basketball program in the country but the football program which is luke warm at best, stiill makes more money than the basketball program. The big ten is waiting to hear from Notre dame and if they say yes, the big ten is done expanding. If they say no Iowa State and Nebraska will likely join the big ten. this is all over sports radio here in Columbus, Ohio. Texas to the Pac Ten???? Been hearing that alot lately. IMO Nebraske holds the cards. If they stay in the big 12 then texas likely will. If they leave, the big 12 will be forced to merge with others. Texas football out generates Ohio State football by around 25 million a year and I thought OSU was big time. It's all about the money. If your football program that you care for is not generating good ratings and lots of money, sorry about your luck. I think it all stinks. It always comes down to greed in any business.