possible torn ligament...what should i do?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shangus101

i have a calf that was standing on a mound and slid backwards (3 weeks ago). He was fine at first but 5 minutes after it happened he started limping and has been ever since.  Ive been giving him water therapy and massaging with a liniment.  What should i do? 

GoWyo

They won't put much weight on the affected leg/foot when they step.  There is no apparent swelling anywhere from the hock down.  No injury to the bottom of the foot (like a nail or other puncture wound).  No apparent reason for limping around on the hind leg and it doesn't get better in a week or so.  If you have soft dirt or something like that where they can get around with minimal impact, you can feed them a while to get a little more weight on them, but in my experience it is usually the beginning of the end.

MOClubbyGuy

I have a cow that suffered a stifle injury a few weeks back. She is one of my top cows and is bred to bodacious so I am hoping she is able to make a recovery to calve and raise the calf as well as provide me enough time to flush her. I currently have her locked in a small level lot by herself to rest and recover. I am not expecting 100% recovery but giving her every chance to get stronger. She has showed progress as she is up on your feet more hours everyday and is able to put more weight on it. My suggestion is to put your calf in a smaller area where it can rest and not be forced to move around alot for food and water. It will take time so be patient.

shangus101

Every little bit you both have said is everything I'm dealing with as well!  Its good to hear that I'm not the only one with the same problem.  We have him in his own pen (12 X 12 roughly), he has backed off feed but still eating mostly hay (Which is good according to vet), water therapy twice a day rubbing in a liniment on in the morning and dmso at night. Jumping on the gun to find another one though....first show is end of February :S

shangus101

He has been examined by the vet once and we are checking in with the vet at least every 5-6 days.  We have used 1-2 rounds of dex, 4 rounds of banamine, a few rounds of penicillin, and something else (I cant remember) but not all in that order.  And the cool weather isnt helping anything :(  I am still trying to look for another calf because i cant take any chances on not having one

hntwhitetail

If you can.. make sure and try to work it every day.  Moving the joint around.

hntwhitetail

I thought you may be able to contine to rub.. massage.  I don't think you can get much motion out of one, compared to a lower joint.  Most don't tend to recover.

shangus101

During/After I put the liniment or DMSO on, I massage the whole leg mostly in the joint area.  He seems to progress a little bit everyday, but as you all say, he probably will not fully recover.