Post Heat wave (ADH)

Help Support Steer Planet:

miller6cc

Which bulls on the market today, do you see having the kind of future success that Heatwave generated for show steer production?  What about the production of females for the show cattle industry such as Meyer 734, WMW, etc?

flacowman

Monopoly or I80 might have a chance to become dominant but none will come close to HW for a few generations yet.  And as long as the clone army lives (haha) they will hold sway...for a few more years at least.

flacowman

Then of course Garten and Skinner would love to see Smilin Bon ascend the throne too...time will tell

justintime

doublestuff said:
Wont ever be another like him. Ever.

I would say that if the will never be another like him, then cattle breeders are not doing their job.  Any sire worth his salt, should sire at least one son that breeds even better than he did ( especially when you consider the cows he has been used on) Why is it that a son has not taken over from Heatwave by now? Or why have none of the clones got the acclaim that Heatwave has had ? I am not real close to the clubby deal, but I like to follow it, and I don't seem to see any of the 18-20 clones of Heatwave stirring the pot at all. Is this correct? And if it is correct, why is this? I have always been told that a clone is an exact  genetic replica of the animal it was cloned from. If this is the case, Heatwave could have been put out of his misery some time ago, and the clones could have carried on. Exactly what am I not seeing in this story?

sue

justintime said:
doublestuff said:
Wont ever be another like him. Ever.

I would say that if the will never be another like him, then cattle breeders are not doing their job.  Any sire worth his salt, should sire at least one son that breeds even better than he did ( especially when you consider the cows he has been used on) Why is it that a son has not taken over from Heatwave by now? Or why have none of the clones got the acclaim that Heatwave has had ? I am not real close to the clubby deal, but I like to follow it, and I don't seem to see any of the 18-20 clones of Heatwave stirring the pot at all. Is this correct? And if it is correct, why is this? I have always been told that a clone is an exact  genetic replica of the animal it was cloned from. If this is the case, Heatwave could have been put out of his misery some time ago, and the clones could have carried on. Exactly what am I not seeing in this story?
I think it's too soon to say if one of the HW clones or sons will follow the path that is paved? Nope. I'm not a club calf "breeder" either but if MONOPLY  is the one too soon to say? Anyone of the billion clones have not had a chance either but also a good chance the person that ordered forgot which clone they ordered???
All of this being said ... is there a son of JPJ better then dad? ( he is easily the most popular SH sire at age 9)  is there a son of Byland Mission better then dad ( the sire died at 13) Gosh which one of the sons of CF Trump are the Bomb? Major Leroy is old enough to have a son better then himself and how about Pioneer ...really can you honestly say they have a son better? Muridale Buster.... my list goes on but I doubt the answer will be
Heat wave ...definate freak for the club calf world but that is not a breeders world so try not to but both in the same sentence, TERMINAL  but not 'BREEEDER".

JSchroeder

I am not real close to the clubby deal, but I like to follow it, and I don't seem to see any of the 18-20 clones of Heatwave stirring the pot at all. Is this correct?

I've read your posts, you are too smart to believe Heat Wave is responsible for all of the calves he's given credit for.

Calves sired by other AI bulls and clean up bulls are called Heat Wave sons to help market them.  I've tried to be honest and put "Heat Wave clone" on sale info sheets and it ended up "Heat Wave" by the time the sale came around.  Lautner doesn't even bother identifying which clone sired winners in their ads and in some ads even says "Heat Wave or clone".

For a person to think half the calves sired by Heat Wave (insert random number here) aren't marketed as Heat Waves is a bit naive.

savaged

Jeff_Schroeder said:
I am not real close to the clubby deal, but I like to follow it, and I don't seem to see any of the 18-20 clones of Heatwave stirring the pot at all. Is this correct?

I've read your posts, you are too smart to believe Heat Wave is responsible for all of the calves he's given credit for.

Calves sired by other AI bulls and clean up bulls are called Heat Wave sons to help market them.  I've tried to be honest and put "Heat Wave clone" on sale info sheets and it ended up "Heat Wave" by the time the sale came around.  Lautner doesn't even bother identifying which clone sired winners in their ads and in some ads even says "Heat Wave or clone".

For a person to think half the calves sired by Heat Wave (insert random number here) aren't marketed as Heat Waves is a bit naive.

I agree totally.  We are in an age of win and make money first, selfish ambition, and take advantage of the people with ethics and principles.  There is no way, and we should all admit it, that even half of the sale bills for club calf sales are remotely honest regarding sires and birth dates.  I have too many first hand accounts of people consigning a calf to a "big name" sale only to see the sale bill show a false birth date and/or sire.  Oh it's OK, says the seller, "everybody does it."

Heat wave is more a  brand than a bull, and has been for a long time.

Mainevent

The reason there hasn't been a HW son top him, is that we don't market them as bulls we market them towards steers mostly. 

DCC show cattle

Monopoly will not replace heatwave everyone has seen really good calves but has one proved himself as a slick shear steer? Great hair and seem to work but im kinda tired of everyone praisin monopoly when he hasnt done near enough in my opinion to call him the one or even say he is going to be the one. I have seen better dirty hairy calves which is an ali son. JMO and there will be another such as heatwave as soon as the trends change and people start to try other bulls, Heatwave is a legend and will be there were great ones out of him but as also stated there are a lot more calves that were called heatwaves that had ZERO heatwave in them just because it was a good marketing tool.

LostFarmer

I can't believe that anyone in the cattle business would be less than honest about the sire or birth date on a calf.  I think there will always be a better bull that will break the mold.  I hope that we get away from the puddy built low growth cattle winning. 

vet tech

there wont be a bull used as much as HW, HW was used soooooooo much. thats why theres so many winners. Find a bull that makes them good, and consistently good, have him sell as much semen as HW and then you have a chance of beating him out

LostFarmer

I would call HW consistent.  He was consistently great or consistently the sire of cripples.  When he worked it was a wow kind of moment and when he missed it was a dud.  He was great often enough that he was worth the gamble on the cripple and the heifers.  To me the true legacy of a bull is what kind of females does he make?  HW was only as good as the female was structurely sound.  JMHO

jamesgang892

I think that the next big bull hasn't been discovered yet. Many bulls now are good but not consistent. Heat wave was great in his own right but it now seems that everything is related through him (some may be the false HWs as mentioned earlier). I would rather try outcross genetics.

LostFarmer

That reminds me of a joke we used to use.  The name of the best dairy bull ever raised was veal.  I think the same could be said for beef cattle which one if given the chance would really produce?  Same with females how many heifers end up as steaks that could have been great ones.  LF

rackranch

I'm thinking that Eyes On The Money is going to be one to watch for... We bought a steer out of Collin's sale this year in Feburary and he is one stout, pretty fronted, and sound dude... Easily the most powerful steer in any show we have been to this show season and glides around the ring with ease... see what his future holds

Dyer Show cattle

rackranch said:
I'm thinking that Eyes On The Money is going to be one to watch for... We bought a steer out of Collin's sale this year in Feburary and he is one stout, pretty fronted, and sound dude... Easily the most powerful steer in any show we have been to this show season and glides around the ring with ease... see what his future holds

Eyes on the money have been the best looking calves at my place the past 2 years. Only thing is temperments are not great. Not crazy wild but do take extra time to break them. They just like to fight the rope and dont give up easily. I still like my sunseekers right with them and all the sunseekers are quite and practically broke after 1 week tied up and washed and blown out for a week. That is great when you have someone young needing a calf, my 6-10 year old neices and nephew can do anything with them and you don't have to worry. Also have 2 sunseeker heifers that milk well and have great calves out of my purebred simm herd bull and can't wait to see the one and only calves coming out of them in march if all goes well. I did keep an eyes on the money heifer last year and am waiting to see how she is going to milk and do raising a calf. For me it doesnt matter whats in the pedigree she has to milk and take care of a calf before anything else. Ground Zero is another one I like cows out of.

rackranch

Dyer Show cattle said:
rackranch said:

Eyes on the money have been the best looking calves at my place the past 2 years. Only thing is temperments are not great. Not crazy wild but do take extra time to break them. They just like to fight the rope and dont give up easily.

Yea!! your right on there.. this one was the same way and is still a little jumpy in the show ring with shadows..

jlingle

My daughter showed an Eyes on the Money last year.  He was stout and stylish like yall described, and moved like a cat.  He was a punk sometimes, and prone to kick the daylights out of ya when he got huffy.  He had people on his "list" that he absolutely hated and would erupt when he was around them.  He was good though, and absolutely loved my daughter.  He'd sprint from the back end of the trap to the fence when he saw her.  He'd do anything int he world for my daughter, which is why he was so much fun to show..... that & he won plenty of ribbons. ;D