Potential genetic defect in Shorthorn cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Thats whats amazing to me. If a highly used ai bull is under question.......the advantage is that he has been used all over the country......world.......whatever. Has he been used on all kinds of breeds? Or only in one breed? If there was a problem it should show up like crazy on a heavily collected bull. If there was hypothetically a problem........does the defect only show up when used on a certain breed? That would be a red flag wouldn't it? Do defects show up when used on any breed? Do defects show up only in one area......where a copper defiency is a problem? It's crazy man.

thunderdownunder

I find it amazing that Shorthorn breeders want to make a big deal of this in an open forum. I would have thought this was something best dealt with within the breed.

trevorgreycattleco

thunderdownunder said:
I find it amazing that Shorthorn breeders want to make a big deal of this in an open forum. I would have thought this was something best dealt with within the breed.

Really? Maybe in the days before the internet and fast food. These days I cant think of a better place to discuss problems and how we go about fixing them. Knowledge is power tdu.

DL

thunderdownunder said:

Would that mean you would take the ostrich approach? Apparently you are unaware of the history of how the mutations for TH, PHA, AM, NH, OS, FCS (now CA) were identified. Without pressure from the masses and on line discussions  many of the associations would have continued to ignore the evidence that their breed was affected by lethal genetic defects. Furthermore, obtaining sufficient samples to identify mutations would have been prolonged.

The internet has made it impossible for breed associations to sweep things under the rug as they may have done for years - if the association did the right things at the right time then there would be no need for internet discussions - alas they do not

aj

Trevor....what scares the hell out me is that she has the exact signature avatatr deal as my friend up north. My days are probably numbered as I feel the Frost coming on. Its been brief but a pleasure. ;D

frostback

aj said:
Trevor....what scares the hell out me is that she has the exact signature avatatr deal as my friend up north. My days are probably numbered as I feel the Frost coming on. Its been brief but a pleasure. ;D

Ya know JA, I am trying to teach my 10 year old to take responsibility for his actions. You might  learn to do the same. Its not me that gets you banned its your big mouth calling people out and just being stupid and rude. How many times have you been banned? I could care less what you have to say. Your an ass and not too many people take what you have to say with any legitimacy. So keep posting, it will catch up to you eventually. Then you can feel better about it and think I did it.

aj

Hating me won't make you pretty.......Sayounara folks......good luck to steer planet.

trevorgreycattleco

aj, believe it or not, you drive the ratings on this board. Steerplanet and the morning coffee are a regular thing for lots of folks. Many many lurk, but only a few talk. Keep talking buddy.

sue

If you're filling steer pens then dont worry about it. If you marketing herd sires that shape the near future then call and ask quesions .

Okotoks

sue said:
If you're filling steer pens then dont worry about it. If you marketing herd sires that shape the near future then call and ask quesions .
That is only partly true, most feedlots won't buy cripples to feed and what about all the half sisters, you want them to go out into commercial herds and spread the defect, assuming they can walk to find grass and water!

thunderdownunder

Okotoks said:
sue said:
That is only partly true, most feedlots won't buy cripples to feed and what about all the half sisters, you want them to go out into commercial herds and spread the defect, assuming they can walk to find grass and water!

Ditto. I also believe this is a point which seedstock producers should be particularly concerned about, as it directly affects their clients who rely on the sale of those steers/heifers and don't have a supplementary income from bulls.

trevorgreycattleco

Merry Christmas frostyback. I give her a neg karma for being a weenie and she gives me 2 back. Talk about not taking the heat.......get out of the kitchen!

bryan78

I have been lurking on here for awhile , but couldnt pass this one buy.  Why is it that a recessive trait is called a "genetic defect" but birthweights that are too large, cattle that are hard doing, or other economically undesireable traits are not only accepted they are in some circles encouraged.  As far as im concerned any trait that produces economic outcomes that are undesireable is a genect defect to me.  I would bet a large sum that death loss due to calving dystocia and extra feed costs related to hard doing cattle cost the beef industry way more each year than these recessive traits that can be bred around.  You dont here for near the outrage over birthweights except from AJ of course.

aj

Good point bryan. Also some genetic defects are lethal like pha and th. Whereas some maybe aren't. To me lethal defects would be twice as bad as a non lethal defect(if I had to put it on a scale).

bryan78

Aj i agree that potentially lethal defects are a bigger deal, but isnt losing calves to birthweight also a lethal defect.  Also at least with these recissive traits both parents have to be carriers and thanks to Dr. B and his team we can test and make informed breeding decisions.  With some of these dominat traits we just say oh well, you dont here people shouting from the rooftops that these need to be eliminated at all costs.  I just wish everyone would look at it with a less myopic view.

aj

Agreed......and even structural correctness could be a bigger factor. I think the club calf industry in general has more problems with stuctural correctness than say this hypothetical new defect would cause.