Potential genetic defect in Shorthorn cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

Why don't you perfect blowhards at least make something.

At least x-bar is.

He even has the guts/humor to name a bull proletariat.

knabe

There is a direct correlation between those who complain about defects and producing nothing to replace them.

knabe

-XBAR- said:
Just do the right thing and let the cards fall where they may.  If it weren't for the profit motive, no one would even consider propagating carriers.

If it weren't for the profit motive, there would be no such thing as frozen semen.

If it weren't for the profit motive, there wouldn't even be a society for those to complain about how evil profit is.

shortyjock89

knabe said:
Why don't you perfect blowhards at least make something.

At least x-bar is.

He even has the guts/humor to name a bull proletariat.

Seriously.  Lots and lots of talk but very little to show for it from some people.  I realize that building a program takes time, but come on. 

I'd still like to know where all these TH carrying National Champ PB Shorthorns are too.  Been a LONG time since I've seen one. 

mark tenenbaum

If you have a great looking carrier BREED IT CLEAN-Look at Nothings free-line bred clean warhorse-but owned by a Minnesota breeder known for functional maternal cattle. There is still a need for Shorthorns made like this-when you see how the maines with bulls like i-80 have run away from the currant purebred shorts in alot of categories-NOT JUST THE SHOWRING-where he has run the farthest.And as far as the "real world" goes:if you dont want to produce bulls or females that will cross on other breeds-and or produce some for people to see-you are going to have an extremely limited market. I see commercial cross bred cattle every day with stout thick calves that wean haf as big as thier dams yatta yatta-no creep-no papers-but alot better than some of the ratty hardoing dual looking "purbreds" that are an embarressment to me. O0

librarian

Angus is dealing with many genetic defects and I think about a hundred dollars worth of tests have to be run before a bull can be registered. Is Angus registering carriers?  I know when you start going back in the pedigrees a big slash saying GENETIC DEFECT CARRIER is over the pedigree. We could at least do that for the folks who want it to ne more obvious where the problems are.

jaimiediamond

Genetic abnormalities are present in all breeds of cattle.  See attached link by Bob Weaber, Ph.D. from 2009 http://www.extension.org/pages/23448/managing-genetic-defects-in-beef-cattle#.VCdWFfldVfs

As per some association websites.
Angus 
1. Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM) (Curly Calf Syndrome)
2. Double Muscling (DM)
3. Dwarfism (DW)
4. Contractural Arachnodactyly (CA) (Fawn Calf Syndrome)
5. Heterochromia Irides (HI) (White Eye)
6. Hypotrichosis (HY)
7. Mannosidosis (MA)
8. Neuropathic Hydrocephalous (NH)
9. Osteopetrosis (OS)
10. Protoporphyria (PR)
11. Pulmonary Hypoplasia (PH)
12. Syndactyly (SN)
13. Tibial Hemimelia (TH)
14. Developmental Duplication (DD)

Hereford
1.    Idiopathic Epilepsy (IE)
2.    Hypotrichosis
3.    Dwarfism (DW)

Maine Anjou
1. Tibial Hemimelia (TH)
2. Pulmonary Hypoplasia (PH)

Shorthorn
1. Tibial Hemimelia (TH)
2. Pulmonary Hypoplasia (PH)
3. Digital subluxation (DS)

Simmental
1. Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM) (Curly Calf Syndrome)
2.  Neuropathic Hydrocephalous (NH)
3.  Osteopetrosis (OS)
4. Pulmonary Hypoplasia (PH)
5. Tibial Hemimelia (TH)
6. Dwarfism (DW1)
7. Idiopathic Epilepsy (IE)

aj

th.....now recognized by the Angus assc. It has spread all over the place. I still think a book needs to be written on the subject. Is Lana still alive......?

oakview

You don't suppose that the great, pure, holier than thou Angus breed has outside blood in it, do you?  14 recognized defects in Angus.  There's more time spent on this website talking about THREE Shorthorn defects than all the defects in all the other breeds put together!  In our area, Simmental and Angus by far out number any other breed, both in commercial and purebred herds.  Twenty one defects between the two of them.  Hasn't hurt them too bad.  Evidently someone is managing their problems.  You could probably do the same at your house without bad mouthing everyone else.

Thanks for printing the list.   

phillse

I think the primary difference is in how genetic defects are managed by the different breed associations.  some associations do a better job than others.  When TH and PHA came out  the Simmental association would not register anything with shorthorn in the pedigree until verified by testing or pedigree that the animals were free of the defect.  I tested the females that were the foundation blood for my shorthorns and Simmentals.  I was fortunate that all the sires I had used were tested clean also.

Also, shorthorns breeders have had a less unified consensus on the direction of the breed as a whole not to mention genetic defects. 

caledon101

Phillse.....precisely. That's the key point here. Bang on!
It's not about whether one breed has identified more genetic defects than another.
And it isn't about some Shorthorn breeders behaving jealously because they didn't sell a carrier calf for $90,000 or, win a show with one. That's nonsense.
It's HOW the shorthorn breed is managing the issue that I question. And more importantly, what new breeders/investors on the outside looking in think about all of this.
As of January 1st 2016 no carrier sire should be eligible for registration. That's the only way out that I can see. If someone has a less disruptive pathway forward to manage heterozygous genetic defects in a responsible manner I would respectfully appreciate hearing it.

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

caledon101 said:
As of January 1st 2016 no carrier sire should be eligible for registration. That's the only way out that I can see. If someone has a less disruptive pathway forward to manage heterozygous genetic defects in a responsible manner I would respectfully appreciate hearing it.

Maybe stop the progrees on the beginning can cause less troubles than try stop it in future.  (clapping)

Yes, I can see many jealous breeders here....ahahahahaah...humans!

Doc

caledon101 said:
Phillse.....precisely. That's the key point here. Bang on!
It's not about whether one breed has identified more genetic defects than another.
And it isn't about some Shorthorn breeders behaving jealously because they didn't sell a carrier calf for $90,000 or, win a show with one. That's nonsense.
It's HOW the shorthorn breed is managing the issue that I question. And more importantly, what new breeders/investors on the outside looking in think about all of this.

What kind of response have you had from the board of directors and officers when you have approached them with this idea?

Till-Hill

phillse said:
I think the primary difference is in how genetic defects are managed by the different breed associations.  some associations do a better job than others.  When TH and PHA came out  the Simmental association would not register anything with shorthorn in the pedigree until verified by testing or pedigree that the animals were free of the defect.  I tested the females that were the foundation blood for my shorthorns and Simmentals.  I was fortunate that all the sires I had used were tested clean also.

Also, shorthorns breeders have had a less unified consensus on the direction of the breed as a whole not to mention genetic defects.
Simmental has done no such thing to me. I have a half blood this year and I reported she is out of a shorthorn x angus cow. I have another I registered last year out of a different cow that I registered than reported that she is THC.

RyanChandler

We know the Simmental association registers a bunch of mongrels. They are no one to try and emulate. I think it's clear who the industry leaders are and whose standards we should not only be trying to meet but surpass.

caledon101

Doc.....I feel badly for the ASA Executive Secretary and his Board. I spoke with the ES and he was in agreement with me. He indicated his Board isn't the problem. It's a group of breeders who could sue the ASA for loss of income. The ASA was advised by their legal counsel to stand down on this. Obviously they can't go against legal counsel.
I'm not suggesting that my solution is the only one or, the best one. But it's the least unpalatable one from my perspective.....the least damaging or disruptive. The carrier females would become increasingly scarce every year which means they would actually increase in value for those who seek them?

Till-Hill

-XBAR- said:
We know the Simmental association registers a bunch of mongrels. They are no one to try and emulate. I think it's clear who the industry leaders are and whose standards we should not only be trying to meet but surpass.
so much different than Shorthorns you know!