pour on wormers

Help Support Steer Planet:

gmoo

how good are the generic ivermec brands compared to the real stuff

Redfern

If you are looking to de-worm your cattle, use a feed thru or drench like safeguard or panacure.  Generic Ivomecs, in my amateur opinion, are only effective for lice control or fly suppression.

Bulldaddy

The ivermectin wormers have been around so long that they are not very effective anymore, particularly the pourons.  I use Cydectin injectable and get good results.

kattleluver

I've Heard of pour on ivermec burning them far to often so I haven't even used it. I use cydectin also! Works great...

gates98

I use cydection as well, I've had cattle burned by the generic ivermec. Will never use it again

aandtcattle

We have used different brands of generic pour-ons for several years.  Just to mix it up, we switched to name brand Dectomax last year and thought we had the poorest effectiveness with it as we have ever had.  As for the generics burning cattle, I have never seen or heard of that happening except for here on sp.  I have had excellent luck with the generics and will continue using them.

JSchroeder

After nearly 20 years of using them we've gone cold turkey on using the pour ons for anything but fly and lice control.  It just seems like they don't work for worm control any more.

lightnin4

Cydectin is the best pour on available.  As another poster said ivomec has been around so long its not as effective as it once was.  Also, ne careful with the ivomec generics--there have been some found not to actually be ivomec.  It is recommended that an injectable be used once per year for best parasite control.

linnettejane

knock on wood, ive used ivomec pour on for years and have been very pleased with it, never had one burn, no lice, very little flies

i thought i read an article somewhere along the line that said worming older cows was not necessary, they build immunities to worms....or maybe i dreamed that....ill go searching again to see if i can find it...

i still worm everything, regardless of age

linnettejane

PaFFA Proud

My steer was one that got a bad burn from a generic pour-on, his hair and skin got burned of where I poured it. Ill just dust for external parsites and bugs and feed a dewormer for the inside.

chambero

Serious question - how do you know your Ivomec or generic Ivermectin wormers aren't working?  Has anyone experienced any real evidence or seen real data.

I've heard the same things everyone else has about how parasites develop immunity, etc. but I wonder how much of that is marketing campaigns by other wormer manufacturers.  I've never actually been able to tell a difference between wormers (weight gain, appearance, etc).  Vets are marketed by drug makers just like doctors are. 

We use Cydectin more often than not for a pour on, but parasites theoretically can get immune to it also.  I'm trying to make a conscious effort to rotate.  This year on our cow herd, we used Ivomec in the fall and will use Cydectin in the summer.  I like Safeguard also.

Maybe I've just been lucky for years on lots of calves, but the burning thing with pour-ons is overblown in my opinion.  We'll get a little dandruff, but nothing a day or two of Revive or the like won't take care of.  I'm more afraid of needles on show calves than I am pour-ons.

flacowman

We've never had a problem with burning at all, and as for wormers doing good, just try missing a calf and see how they suffer compared to the others.  We missed a steer calf last year and he weighed almost 80 lbs below the average and his mama always brings a huge calf to the pens at working time.  We do try to rotate between cydectin and ivermectin yearly.  We worm in the spring and fall and we use one one year and the other the next.  This is an ivermectin knockoff year

all.thumbs

I'm glad Cydectin has worked for some. For us, it was worthless.  Lice was bad here when we used it.

HAB

never had a problem with burning, have used generics twice a year for some time now.  I do believe the parasites will build up resistance, it is natural for them to do so.  Will probably hit the whole herd with safeguard this spring, just to change things up.

JSchroeder

Serious question - how do you know your Ivomec or generic Ivermectin wormers aren't working?  Has anyone experienced any real evidence or seen real data.

It's not real evidence or data, just the reason we're moving to injectable only...

In the past, when we'd worm a set of cattle that obviously needed worming the results were obvious within a few weeks.  That simply hasn't been the case lately for us.

The straw that broke the camel's back for us was a cow that was going downhill and we poured 2-3x the normal dose of wormer on her a few times over a two month period.  We finally took her in to the vet to see what was going on and he said she was just "wormy" after checking her manure.  He said we weren't the first with such stories in our area and he's been suggesting everyone move to injectable around here.

Overkiill?  Perhaps.  Knee jerk reaction?  Maybe.  With five weight commercial calves bringing $1.60/lb it's easy to justify a few more dollars and hours.

jlingle

We've used Cydectin pour on and safeguard for several years, and recently switched to pour-on ivomec as a changeup.  It burned the fool out of several of our calves, including both of my kids' showsteers.  You can feel the burned skin where the ivomec ran down behind my daughter's steers shoulderblade on one side, not just on top.  I'm not swearing Ivomec off or anything, but I'll sure be more careful in my application next time.

rf21970

Agree with others on here that generic ivermectins are only good for fly and maybe lice control. They are actually very cost effective fly control when you read the labels of some permethrin (sp?) fly sprays. I'm sure others have figured this out already, but we just learned that though Cydectin is a very effective pour on, it is way too greasy and sticky for show cattle with any amount of hair. I would think dectomax would be a more suitable pour on.