Power 2 Change

Help Support Steer Planet:

furinsilex

Just wanted to ask you really quick Brad? there was a flush opportunity offered on a bounty Hunter daughter this past January. Was really impressed with the cow. If all of them look like this i am missing out lol

red

Brad- I really liked your comments in Show Circuit about why you weren't going to raise the semen price on Hannibal.

Red  (clapping)

jbh

red said:
Brad- I really liked your comments in Show Circuit about why you weren't going to raise the semen price on Hannibal.

Red  (clapping)

Red...the 1980's Farm Crisis was one of the best educations I've had in life.....even though I was only 17 years old.  Dad lost his machinery and about half the land, BUT, some how survived and 25 years later is doing better than ever at the age of 73.  It's funny when it was the farmers in trouble, I don't even remember hearing the word "BAIL OUT"!  It taught me to go into every business deal expecting the worst to happen, and anything good that came out of it was gravy.  Anyone else remember those days?

Dusty

jbh said:
red said:

Red  (clapping)

Red...the 1980's Farm Crisis was one of the best educations I've had in life.....even though I was only 17 years old.  Dad lost his machinery and about half the land, BUT, some how survived and 25 years later is doing better than ever at the age of 73.  It's funny when it was the farmers in trouble, I don't even remember hearing the word "BAIL OUT"!  It taught me to go into every business deal expecting the worst to happen, and anything good that came out of it was gravy.  Anyone else remember those days?

I remember growing up eating a lot of macaroni and cheese and pork burgers derived from cull sows(dad supplemented the farm income by being a hog buyer).

CAB

Brad, I started on my own in 1979. Thought that when I was through the early 80s that I had survived the worst that it could get. That 20% interest I think haunted my family for almost 20 years. Then the .08 hogs finish me off in 1998. I didn't file bankruptcy, but often have wondered if I should have. There were a lot of one day @ a time here & Brad I know that you know just what I'm talking about beings you lived watching your folks deal with the circumstances that they found themselves in. It's part of what makes you a better promoter/person than some. Character was built through those tough times along with a big dose of compassion.
  Did anyone watch the 60 minutes segment that was showing the tent cities that are springing up around the country with folks that were upper middle-class folks less than one year ago? Sold off everything, had kids, living in make shift @ best tents. They can keep calling this a recession, but most of us know, and those in the tents damn well know this is beyond recession. Did anyone see the economist slip up today on the Today show and called it depression/oops, recession?

Jill

You know it's funny you mention hogs, we were right there with you.  We used to raise feeder pigs for Farmland (before we found cattle shows ;D) and in 1 years time we sold pigs from 6 dollars to 68 dollars, those were scary times, but I don't think they even compare to what we have in store in the next couple of years.

jbh

CAB said:
  Brad, I started on my own in 1979. Thought that when I was through the early 80s that I had survived the worst that it could get. That 20% interest I think haunted my family for almost 20 years. Then the .08 hogs finish me off in 1998. I didn't file bankruptcy, but often have wondered if I should have. There were a lot of one day @ a time here & Brad I know that you know just what I'm talking about beings you lived watching your folks deal with the circumstances that they found themselves in. It's part of what makes you a better promoter/person than some. Character was built through those tough times along with a big dose of compassion.
  Did anyone watch the 60 minutes segment that was showing the tent cities that are springing up around the country with folks that were upper middle-class folks less than one year ago? Sold off everything, had kids, living in make shift @ best tents. They can keep calling this a recession, but most of us know, and those in the tents damn well know this is beyond recession. Did anyone see the economist slip up today on the Today show and called it depression/oops, recession?

I was watching the Today show the morning she slipped and said that....they kinda laughed it off as a slip of the tongue.....but you knew what they were saying when the camera went off.  I too was in on those cheap hog days.....I think I dispersed before they got below 20 cents, but barely.  I was talking to an NBC producer a while back and told them if they wanted some down to earth advice as to how to help people survive this economic crisis.....they should interview a bunch of the farm families that survived the 80's and let them tell America what and how they learned to get through it.  People might actually put stock in what they would have to say!

justintime

I know exactly what you guys are talking about as well. I do believe that those who survive the really tough times do gain some better survival skills, as well as some much improved marketing skills. Brad's comment about the networks interviewing some farmers in regards to surviving a recession are true. I told my member of Parliament here in Canada, that if our government  wanted to set up an advisory panel on how to survive in times of recession, they should get a group of cattle producers as this group has seen 8 out of the last 1o years in recession.

We are fortunate here in Canada that the recession has not hit us as hard as it has hit the US and many other countries... YET. Eastern Canada is harder hit than Western Canada, and I heard on the radio that where I live, Saskatchewan, would be the only place in North America that would not be in recession in 2009. Things have slowed down in some industries, but there are still lots of businesses who cannot find employees. Our local A&W just brought in two families from the Philippines, because they could not find workers. The local Dairy Queen brought in 4 Mexican employees. Many trucking companies are paying all the costs of moving entire families in from parts of the US and Europe. But this is just a temporary thing as we all know that what happens in the US, will affect us.

This is a much bigger mess than I ever expected, and I blame some of our media for making this worse. As I said in a previous thread, it is hard to turn on the news without hearing about how our economy is. I really think all this doom and gloom only brings more despair and only scares people which makes them stop buying anything except essentials. I don't blame people for doing this, but I do think we can live without hearing about it constantly.