Preg palpitation training

Help Support Steer Planet:

djbsimmy

Where can you learn to preg check?  Is it worth learning to do yourself or better to keep the vet doing it?

leanbeef

Anything you can learn to do yourself is worth learning! I'm pretty decent at a lot of things, including inseminating, but I never learned to palpate (palPItate is a different thing altogether btw). And that's something I wish I could do well enough to do myself.

I think there are clinics that teach preg checking along with other management practices & techniques. I would start with a semen company to see if there are ever clinics in your area, or look form ads in livestock-related magazines. There's a school called Graham School--i think it's in Kansas, but not certain about that--i''ve heard is really good. You can find them online.

mainegirl

I went to the Graham School this summer. Its was so worth the money. Spend half the day in class and 1/2 out at the farm. 1st day is feeling parts, next 3 are spent preg checking  at different times of gestation, then the last day we learned to pass an insemination rod. Having a growing herd, I feel it was worth the money to learn to do it myself.

Cowboy

Just as in the A-I process, once you learn the basics, it all comes down to the numbers. Gentle, consistent technique is KEY. The more you get into and see the large differences -- even at the same gestation time frame from cow to cow -- the better you will get. It all comes down to one thing -- from the very simple things to the more complex -- it is ALWAYS the cows that teach -- NOT the books. The books are for refference -- of course every one needs refference -- but the cows will ultimately be the teacher.

Start simply by guessing -- then using an accurate A-I record to follow you up on your guess. At calving time, use the actuall calving date to back date what you called her at the preg check. When the light bulb comes on, it usually stays on!

Best of luck -- life is good! (Albeit damn expensive this year)

Terry

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I've been using the draw blood with SEK  and getting it all done in less than a week....Were 40 miles from a vet ,saves us mileage, no appointment if I have supplies on hand and think if you study  the results you might be as accurate
on telling if calf is AI or cleanup bull....Works great at weaning time or sooner for rebreed ...