Pricing Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

jamesgang892

I am new to marketing cattle, and I was wondering how do you guys with experience price those calves that are small spring babies. Do you set a price that you think they would be worth in the fall. Any advice on marketing is very appreciated.

sue

I am not a club breeder - BUT if it were me I would start at $1150 on a potential 600 wt and go up from there. Halter breakin, feed, fans and phone callls... and wait are they taking a September delv date or later??? $7 corn... easy calculations.

mooch

Most people do it like this, anytime somebody asks about one spit out a number between 5000 and 15000. In September cut that number in half.Middle of October cut it in half again.In November get on the phone and beg May lookers to come back and look as you really need to move that calf because you are out of room.Sell to neighbor kid for $1200. ;)

RCF Farms

I think breeders that sell calves out of the pasture sell a little cheaper than they would in fall sales. Still you need to evaluate your calves, structure, build, hair , look and price accordingly. $1000 to 1500 calves, then 2500 to 5000 calves. When I ve went and looked at calves, you can kinda tell the difference between let say a avg county fair calf , a real good county fair calf, then let say a state fair qualilty calf. Now that being said I think Matt lautner bought a bull calf out of the pasture for $20,000, now Id say that was an exceptional  calf, big bone, hair, structure, and big hipped, big topped, and a big butt lol

chiangus

mooch said:
Most people do it like this, anytime somebody asks about one spit out a number between 5000 and 15000. In September cut that number in half.Middle of October cut it in half again.In November get on the phone and beg May lookers to come back and look as you really need to move that calf because you are out of room.Sell to neighbor kid for $1200. ;)
(lol)  probably not far from true.

wyatt

lol thats funny karma points for tellin the truth! (lol) (thumbsup)
mooch said: