Pro bios

Help Support Steer Planet:

3HFarms

How many grams would you give a steer that is off his feed? I have a 60g tube

3HFarms

Im not sure exactly - it was a pretty cool summer and the last few weeks the temp just shot up and he was loose yesterday but I fed him some extra grass hay last night and hes fine today

stangs13

Just make sure he is being kept cool..Get him in early, and out late, under fans. That is the biggest thing in our barn, keeping the cattle cool enough to eat, doesnt help that its texas!

3HFarms

Yep hes under fans in the barn but it could be cooler. Idahos not texas but its still hot lol

aj

I bought a bottle of human probiotic stuff at the health store the other day. I think wal-mart sells it also. Seems to help my digestion. Don't know mauch about it. I assume its like the activia stuff or something.

OH Breeder

aj said:
I bought a bottle of human probiotic stuff at the health store the other day. I think wal-mart sells it also. Seems to help my digestion. Don't know mauch about it. I assume its like the activia stuff or something.

Just so you know. Dannon aka Activia's Bifidus Regularis is a total marketing scheme. There is not such bacteria by that name. Their yogurt contains live active cultures but someone in marketing said I bet we can get people to buy our stuff if we say it has a cool bacteria in it. Google Activia's bacteria.

We give probiotiics quiet frequent to calves on feed. They get burned out on grain. I don't think you can give them too much as they will use what they need and shed the rest. Most of the tubes say on the back how much to give. If you have a syringe some of them have a small dial to help regulate the doseage. Sometimes with temperature change we have seen the cattle eating patterns change. Keep an eye on the color consistency and smell of the loose stool. It can happen occasionally but if it is persistant then it is time to get concerned.

stangs13

Doesn't all yogurt have a probiotic bacteria? I know yogurts made by some sort of bacteria...I have heard of people feeding yogurt.