Problem with Club Calf Industry...thoughts please

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mill Iron A

I have a problem with the idea of raising "terminal" cattle.  I haven't decided about club calves but as far as breeds go I am annoyed that several continental breeds are labeled terminal.  How did they get here then? did they not have mothers? Some of the best females I have ever seen were charolais and didn't have a lick of british blood in them.  I also echo that on the commercial end.  Why do we think that british breeds are more efficient?  That word is so overused, misunderstood, and so misguided it's not even funny.  We graze out year round and the most "efficient" cow is the one that consistently breeds back raises big calves that go and grow in the feedlot and hang with a premium yielding carcass and more often than not that cow is the crossbred cow.  One more thing to add to soundness is that in a feedlot situation these frail boned cattle often get stuck in the deep mud and blow out their hock.  These cattle could be considered "sound" in a showring but don't actually make it in certain situations.  From a judging standpoint I have always been the other way.  If people wanted a carcass contest they can do that after the show, my philosophy is they are being shown for balance and as long as they are below a YG4 and have enough condition to allow genetic expression of low choice I lay off the carcass contest.  After that I judge for skeletal makup, soundness, and overall build.  Everyone is different but that is how I do it.

GONEWEST

I don't know of very many ( A tiny %) of show steer destined matings... that would be successful with either sex born... 
[/quote]

It's ok. We've already established that you don't know much of anything about show cattle.

The day that you people stop comparing the show cattle / club calf business to the commercial cattle industry or quit trying to draw some correlation between the two is the day that you'll have one thing less to moan, groan, complain and argue about. While I realize that many of you would be at a loss for words if you couldn't complain about the show cattle industry, it would be nice for the rest of us.  Comparing the two is not even as near as the proverbial "apples and oranges" comparison. It's more like comparing apples and green beans. If you don't like green beans, don't eat them. Simple as that. Don't tell me how green beans should be red like apples. Don't tell me how a green bean is not the right shape to hang from an apple tree. Don't berate me that I like to eat green beans and above all stop and think for a minute how moronic you sound by telling the worlds best green bean grower he runs a bogus operation because he doesn't raise apples like you. Especially when he employs more people to count his bean money than you do to harvest your apples.

twistedhshowstock

GONEWEST said:
I don't know of very many ( A tiny %) of show steer destined matings... that would be successful with either sex born... 

It's ok. We've already established that you don't know much of anything about show cattle.

The day that you people stop comparing the show cattle / club calf business to the commercial cattle industry or quit trying to draw some correlation between the two is the day that you'll have one thing less to moan, groan, complain and argue about. While I realize that many of you would be at a loss for words if you couldn't complain about the show cattle industry, it would be nice for the rest of us.  Comparing the two is not even as near as the proverbial "apples and oranges" comparison. It's more like comparing apples and green beans. If you don't like green beans, don't eat them. Simple as that. Don't tell me how green beans should be red like apples. Don't tell me how a green bean is not the right shape to hang from an apple tree. Don't berate me that I like to eat green beans and above all stop and think for a minute how moronic you sound by telling the worlds best green bean grower he runs a bogus operation because he doesn't raise apples like you. Especially when he employs more people to count his bean money than you do to harvest your apples.
[/quote]

Maybe I am blind, but I didnt see many people on here berating the club calf industry.  And I still think the two sides of the cattle industry are much closer than any of you want to admit.  But that is besides the point.  I am heavily involved in the club calf industry and like it. Not trying to berate it at all.  However, if you think there are no issues with it, then I think you need to re-examine. But every industry has issues, and if you are not discussing them and trying to find solutions to them, then your industry is going to plateau, and most likely eventually die.  I think these discussions are very helpful, because they make people think about what is going on in the industry and make people strive to find ways to improve it.  If you think you have found the perfect industry and are doing things perfectly, then I encourage you to continue because you have peace of mind. But at the same time beware, because there are people out there that are constantly trying to improve things and they will eventually pass you!

sackshowcattle

yes but this does matter in real world. Its the one thing keeping cattle as a whole on a united front. Use the hog industry for example. They have a uniform finish with sound enough movement, that they can pull a market gilt out and breed her aslong as she hasnt been fed paylean or some other  stuff out there. Also results will be pretty predictable as far as genetics since everything under the sun is not in the mix. Club calves most heifers shouldn't be used for the sake of the indusrty. Either there are 6 breeds in trying to get that one great one losing all hybrid vigor in the out cross. You cant predict b.w. because some where a couple generations back a 120 pound b.w. bull is a sire, with no papers on the crosses good luck proving where that 110 pound calf came from using a proven calving ease angus bull. In quite a few instances the heifer was fed so hot to keep her fat enough for the ring good luck having any kind of breeding longgevity with all that extra pelvic fat. For people that don't see the slippery slope that show cattle are headed down they just need to look a few years back. 15 years ago showing at NWSS any heifers I took down there for the prospect show were shown as breeding heifers. It was believed that heifers should be used to breed and not eat. There was no market heifer class. We created a need for that class by only breeding for that great steer then keeping a cool looking geneticly inferior heifer to breed that we got instead. Now there is a need to get rid of the offspring of those calves and a market heifer class at all the show is one way of doing it. Thats why when you talk to big breaders your seeing a pretty big movement in using older heavy milking strong maternal sires. It nothing new been going on for years. Just look through old photos and watch the "decade shift (about how often the extremes have change). Go from one decade to the next and you will see cattle extremely over finish, tight gutted cattle, belt buckle over the back of cattle, belt buckle under the belly of cattle. As an industry show cattle cant ever seem to find a happy medium its always on extreme to the next.
Oh and one more thought on structure.  I can see the point of judging as a market class ready to slaughter, but here is the other part of it. If you allow cripples to win as fats breeders with still breed the cripples. In 2000 my friend had a calf that made champion drive in denver figured he had a good shot at state fair that year. the was strait of both ends and at 975 pounds went down and couldn't get back up. Guess what that 5000 calf won back maybe 1000 in prospect shows before he got a bullet in the head cause that stressed he would have been a dark cutter for sure.

clementcattle

Mill Iron A said:
I have a problem with the idea of raising "terminal" cattle.  I haven't decided about club calves but as far as breeds go I am annoyed that several continental breeds are labeled terminal.  How did they get here then? did they not have mothers? Some of the best females I have ever seen were charolais and didn't have a lick of british blood in them.  I also echo that on the commercial end.  Why do we think that british breeds are more efficient?  That word is so overused, misunderstood, and so misguided it's not even funny.  We graze out year round and the most "efficient" cow is the one that consistently breeds back raises big calves that go and grow in the feedlot and hang with a premium yielding carcass and more often than not that cow is the crossbred cow.  One more thing to add to soundness is that in a feedlot situation these frail boned cattle often get stuck in the deep mud and blow out their hock.  These cattle could be considered "sound" in a showring but don't actually make it in certain situations.  From a judging standpoint I have always been the other way.  If people wanted a carcass contest they can do that after the show, my philosophy is they are being shown for balance and as long as they are below a YG4 and have enough condition to allow genetic expression of low choice I lay off the carcass contest.  After that I judge for skeletal makup, soundness, and overall build.  Everyone is different but that is how I do it.

here, here! javascript:void(0);

clementcattle

twistedhshowstock said:
GONEWEST said:

Maybe I am blind, but I didnt see many people on here berating the club calf industry.  And I still think the two sides of the cattle industry are much closer than any of you want to admit.  But that is besides the point.  I am heavily involved in the club calf industry and like it. Not trying to berate it at all.  However, if you think there are no issues with it, then I think you need to re-examine. But every industry has issues, and if you are not discussing them and trying to find solutions to them, then your industry is going to plateau, and most likely eventually die.  I think these discussions are very helpful, because they make people think about what is going on in the industry and make people strive to find ways to improve it.  If you think you have found the perfect industry and are doing things perfectly, then I encourage you to continue because you have peace of mind. But at the same time beware, because there are people out there that are constantly trying to improve things and they will eventually pass you!
[/quote]

An extremely sound piece of knowledge and my main objective when creating this discussion.  The only way we are going to get better is if we discuss and sometimes argue about the things that are wrong or need to be changed within the industry we have a  passion for.

LLBUX

Club calf and show cattle industry problems include:

1.Cattle that are impractical due to structural issues, lethal birth defects, extreme birth weights.    Short productive life without major intervention.

2.Misrepresented origins, ages, breeding, birthweights, EPD figures to make the animal more appealing or valuable at sale time.  (Lots of January 2011 calves observed Thanksgiving and Christmas 2010.)  

3.Too much variance in progeny due to loss of concentrated traits(homozygousity).  Breeding mutts to mutts hoping for a single great one doesn't make sense.

4.Selection for phenotype only with no regard for performance traits.  Why would you breed to a bull that may have 120 pound BW or poor WW or YW?

5.The need to have heifers FAT at show/sale time, to their detriment in their later productive life.  They can't milk or calve as well.

OH Breeder

My only issue when looking at these club calf bulls if you follow Linear Measurement and believe in what Gerald Fry has to say below:

http://www.bovineengineering.com/linera_male.html

Short necks are a good indicator of libido and high testosterone.
The cervical vertebrates have a tendency to curve up, making the neck shorter.
Short necks indicate a larger scrotal therefore a higher level of hormones.
Short necks indicate wider shoulders (mail characteristics).
Bulls with a neck longer than a –2 inches at 12 months lack male hormones, resulting in late maturing daughters, reaching puberty later in life and tend to be slow breeders.
Long necks are structural defects, no genetic progress can be made with these bulls. They will be high maintenance bulls.
Bulls with long necks have a smaller scrotum.
Bulls with shorter necks sire daughters with wider rumps.
Bulls with short necks sire daughters that mature early.

WHen you look at Club Calf bulls many are "freak" fronted or rocket fronted. Alot of what Mr. Fry has to say makes sense.

twistedhshowstock

sackshowcattle said:
yes but this does matter in real world. Its the one thing keeping cattle as a whole on a united front. Use the hog industry for example. They have a uniform finish with sound enough movement, that they can pull a market gilt out and breed her aslong as she hasnt been fed paylean or some other  stuff out there. Also results will be pretty predictable as far as genetics since everything under the sun is not in the mix. Club calves most heifers shouldn't be used for the sake of the indusrty. Either there are 6 breeds in trying to get that one great one losing all hybrid vigor in the out cross. You cant predict b.w. because some where a couple generations back a 120 pound b.w. bull is a sire, with no papers on the crosses good luck proving where that 110 pound calf came from using a proven calving ease angus bull. In quite a few instances the heifer was fed so hot to keep her fat enough for the ring good luck having any kind of breeding longgevity with all that extra pelvic fat. For people that don't see the slippery slope that show cattle are headed down they just need to look a few years back. 15 years ago showing at NWSS any heifers I took down there for the prospect show were shown as breeding heifers. It was believed that heifers should be used to breed and not eat. There was no market heifer class. We created a need for that class by only breeding for that great steer then keeping a cool looking geneticly inferior heifer to breed that we got instead. Now there is a need to get rid of the offspring of those calves and a market heifer class at all the show is one way of doing it. Thats why when you talk to big breaders your seeing a pretty big movement in using older heavy milking strong maternal sires. It nothing new been going on for years. Just look through old photos and watch the "decade shift (about how often the extremes have change). Go from one decade to the next and you will see cattle extremely over finish, tight gutted cattle, belt buckle over the back of cattle, belt buckle under the belly of cattle. As an industry show cattle cant ever seem to find a happy medium its always on extreme to the next.
Oh and one more thought on structure.  I can see the point of judging as a market class ready to slaughter, but here is the other part of it. If you allow cripples to win as fats breeders with still breed the cripples. In 2000 my friend had a calf that made champion drive in denver figured he had a good shot at state fair that year. the was strait of both ends and at 975 pounds went down and couldn't get back up. Guess what that 5000 calf won back maybe 1000 in prospect shows before he got a bullet in the head cause that stressed he would have been a dark cutter for sure.

While I can understand some of what you said, the market hog industry is not united.  Its actually pretty much the same. I managed a couple of big commercial farms up in MN for about 5 yrs, and I also deal with a lot of show hogs.  The commercial industry has just run of the mill good carcassed, fast finishing hogs. While the show industry is looking for the more extreme muscled hogs.  And to say that you can pull a Market Gilt and breed her if she hasnt been fed paylean, you can also pull a Market Heifer and breed her as long as she hasnt been implanted or fed zilmax.  You can also breed a market gilt that has been fed paylean, studies show it really only affects litter size.  And as a matter of fact if you want a better chance of producing that grand champion steer, breed a market heifer.  She and the market gilt will have the same issue, not that they wont breed, and not that they wont have great offspring.  The problem is they typically wont raise them as well, the difference is the people raising show pigs have accepted the fact that the females that produce the best market show pigs are going to have smaller litters and not do a good job raising them, so they help them out along the way and dont complain about it.  In the show cattle industry we actually have an advantage over them, we can flush that market heifer type cow that will produce great steers and let a better mothering cow carry and raise her calf. We dont have that much luck with that in the pig industry.  Most of these market gilts also have every breed under the sun in them as well, so they arent a very good evidence for your argument.
And if you dont like the words terminal and maternal, stay away from the pig industry.  They have succeeded because they are not afraid to know that some breeds are maternal, and some will give you more meat but wont raise a pig.  So run a terminal boar over a maternal sow, have her wean 30+ pigs a year that grow and have good carcasses and laugh all the way to the bank.  Go to a commercial farm, unless they are producing boars to go to boar stud you wont see anything but a white sow in the barn, because the white sows are the ones that will raise babies.  Go to the boar studs and you wont see much white, unless its to produce replacement gilts, because Hamps and Durocs give you the best carcasses, but arent very good at raising them.  But there are exceptions to every rule out there, like someone posted earlier, I also know people that have had great success with Charolais cows, well actually more with Charolais composites. But if you go back and study the research and history on all the breeds as a whole, the British breeds are generally more like the white breeds in pigs, they typically milk better, have more maternal instinct, and lay down fat better which provides a higher quality carcass.  Therefor we typically know them as the "maternal" breeds.  The continental breeds typically have more power and muscle, but as a whole the breeds dont typically milk as well, though some do have great maternal instinct, thus these breeds are known as a "terminal" breed. But of course there are exceptions to every rule and if you have found something that works for you, then stick with it.
As far as the whole judging steers because of soundness because their contemporaries may end up in the herd, or because we are worried that if I happen to use one that is a little tight then somebody is going to breed unsound animals. Well here is my thoughts, if a breeder is going to go and knowingly breed an animal with soundness issues and think its ok because a judge happened to use a steer that was slightly unsound, then that person lacks either the intelligence or integrity to be a breeder in the first place.  And we dont go use coarse fronted, terminal appearing heifers in the breeding show because her contemporary steers may end up in the feedlot, so then why should we judge a steer in the market show on soundness because "his contemporary heifers may end up in the herd???"  If you are going to buy replacement heifers, and someone has a set of 100, pretty much same genetic heifers, and they are all sound as a cat, awesome heifers with the exception of 1 or 2 who have some structure and style issues.  Are you going to buythem all including the bad ones, simply because their contemporaries were good? No you will cut those out and buy the rest.  At the same time are you going to discount the entire group because there were a few that had issues? Probably not, there are flukes in every scenario.  Why then are we judging animals in the show ring based on what we assume their contemporaries look like, especially when we dont know the scenario? We should be judging each individual animal on its individual merrits towards the purpose of the show ring its in.  Heck that super sound and really pretty and balanced steer that you use to win because your worried about what another steers contemporaries may look like, may have been the fluke himself, he may be the only halfway decent specimen among a thousand contemporaries.  This is my opinion, in a breeding ring a heifer should look like a heifer, she needs to be feminine, SOUND, and have some volume to her.  A bull should look like a bull, he should be rugged, masculine, sound, have some volume and power to him.  A steer should be a steer, he should be more ruggedly constructed and more powerful than a heifer, but depending on the age at which he was cut may not necessarily be as masculine and rugged as a bull.  In a prospect steer show, yes he absolutely has to be sound, because he still has to keep walking and getting to the feed pan in order to finish out and become market ready.  But in a market steer show where we are judging them as finished market animals, then if he is still getting around, even if its stiffly on bad legs, then he has stayed sound long enough to get the job done, now if there are sound animals with as much product and market readiness then he isnt going to win, and he probably has to to be that much better than others, but what I am saying is being a little unsound isnt going to automatically put him in the bottom for me.  And I am not going to consider what his contemporaries look like, because I am not judging his contemporaries, I am judging him.

rackranch

Well since this topic ended going in several different directions I would like to add what I think is wrong with the industry today.  This past weekend my daughter and I attended a steer show to support some friends of ours.  Well there was a fairly well know ''Steer Jock'' for lack of a better term there.  He had a baby steer in the show that I liked a lot.  I asked him kinda in passing '' Can you get me one like that''  he answered with ''I got a barn full of them''.  I've always kept my daughter as involved in buying and picking her cattle as I can.  Well I asked her to go talk to him and asked if the steer he had brought was for sale.  She talked to him and came back to me with a big smile on her face and when I asked what are you smiling about.  She told me that he wanted $ 15,000.00 for the steer.  Thats when we both started laughing.

To me this is a big time problem, anyone who lives in Texas and shows at the Texas majors can consistantly see the same names and the same families in the winners circle.  Why, because they have the most money.  Breed Champions at Houston pay $ 10,000.00 and maybe that in San Antonio if your lucky.  Its non uncommon to hear of steers selling for $ 30,000.00 to $ 40,000.00 or more.  Seems like things have gotten way out of hand.  Over the last five years I have seen jackpot shows shrinking in numbers.  Why, because people are getting tired of seeing these same ol people with their same ol fitters coming to the shows and winning everything while their kids are sitting in a chair waiting for someone to introduce them to their steer. 

Could any of you even make money with a county champion at $ 15,000.00 a steer?  Very few can answer yes to that question.  I know it is what it is and there is not much that can be down to change it at this point. But I think it is a big problem with the industry.  My daughter loves raising and showing cattle and as long as she is I will support her.  I hope that after she is done I can take her cows that have been bought thru her years of showing and produce a steer a kid can take to a county show or major and place on an average family budget.  I know there are good guys out there right know that feel the way I do and are selling good familes good cattle at fair prices. For these cattle men and these familes placing a steer at the majors means more than any of these $30,000.00 familes could ever imagine.

Thanks to all the good guys out there..

GONEWEST

twistedhshowstock said:
GONEWEST said:

The day that you people stop comparing the show cattle / club calf business to the commercial cattle industry or quit trying to draw some correlation between the two is the day that you'll have one thing less to moan, groan, complain and argue about. While I realize that many of you would be at a loss for words if you couldn't complain about the show cattle industry, it would be nice for the rest of us.  Comparing the two is not even as near as the proverbial "apples and oranges" comparison. It's more like comparing apples and green beans. If you don't like green beans, don't eat them. Simple as that. Don't tell me how green beans should be red like apples. Don't tell me how a green bean is not the right shape to hang from an apple tree. Don't berate me that I like to eat green beans and above all stop and think for a minute how moronic you sound by telling the worlds best green bean grower he runs a bogus operation because he doesn't raise apples like you. Especially when he employs more people to count his bean money than you do to harvest your apples.

Maybe I am blind, but I didnt see many people on here berating the club calf industry.  And I still think the two sides of the cattle industry are much closer than any of you want to admit.  But that is besides the point.  I am heavily involved in the club calf industry and like it. Not trying to berate it at all.  However, if you think there are no issues with it, then I think you need to re-examine. But every industry has issues, and if you are not discussing them and trying to find solutions to them, then your industry is going to plateau, and most likely eventually die.  I think these discussions are very helpful, because they make people think about what is going on in the industry and make people strive to find ways to improve it.  If you think you have found the perfect industry and are doing things perfectly, then I encourage you to continue because you have peace of mind. But at the same time beware, because there are people out there that are constantly trying to improve things and they will eventually pass you!
[/quote]

I never intended to offend you because you are blind.I didn't even know.  The OP posed the question "Does anyone actually think that "show cattle" are the best cattle?  Or is there some concensus that the show industry is indeed an outlier and more of niche market?" I just gave my view on the question which is obviously different from yours, that indeed the commercial segment and the show ring segment of the beef cattle industry cannot be compared. Similar to trying to compare the Thoroughbred and Ranch Horse segments of the equine industry or the apple and tomato segments of the vegetable industry. They are all in the same broad species but they cannot be combined for comparison.

Then I went on to express my disdain for those who constantly have a thread on here bashing the show cattle industry or some program who's owner could buy and sell them. I guess they do this in order to make themselves feel good about their own program. I guess I was blind but all I see here is more of the same "You're and idiot!" No you are!", crap that goes on all the time (page 3). It's really about the CONCEPT of the show cattle business and a jealousy of success. The OP even phrased the question about Heatwave as a CONCEPT of what is good and bad. It's a microcosm of our society. The bottom wants the top to come back to it instead of the bottom rising to the level of the top. It's the same as is happening in schools, athletics and business. Look at the "class warfare" being exploited by our politicians. I just don't understand why someone would feel the need, or have the right,  to run down what someone else is doing.

I guess it is me who is blind (no offense) to the point in my post where I said there was no problems with the show cattle industry or where I addressed that subject at all????? I was also blind to the helpful discussion provided here that would benefit those who raise show cattle.   I see a list or two of problems people find with the show cattle business but no solutions so it's just complaining.  When you find something helpful on any of these threads that pit the  commercial segment against the people who enjoy raising show cattle call me.  All I see is more "You're an idiot",  "show cattle are cripples" and a forum for you to wow us with your knowledge of the commercial pig business. Not to be confused of course with the show pig business.

twistedhshowstock

Rack, I completely agree with you.  I often tell people that I dont think show potential increases an animals value to that extreme in my opinion.  Especially heifers, I wastrying to help a young man sell a heifer that he had shown here a few months ago,he bought the heifer from a very well known breeder in Texas, and she was the type of heifer anyone would have loved to have in the herd, I think she has donor written all over her.  The young man was selling her because 1) she was an American and he wants to show something with hair and a breed that he could go to Denver and those shows with if the opportunity arrises, and 2) because he currently doesnt have the space to keep cows for breeding, he is limited to the calves he is showing.  In talking to the guy he bought the heifer from, I was told I didnt understand cattle, he told me the heifer was not worth what the young man gave for her(which I dont think was an unfair price) simply because she was now a 2 yr old and her show career was over.  I told him that in my opinion a heifer was worth no more than what her potential value as a cow was, regardless of show potential or not.  That is the problem with this in my opinion, families that have money are often willing to pay more than what an animal is actually worth simply because of the potential to hang a purple banner. I have often said and heard it said, many times when those expensive calves are bought, the people with money arent buying the calf they are buying the banner.  I have the same goals as you, to raise quality cattle that are affordable to the average family.  I am not going to jack the price up on one simply because of where it came from etc. I guess I am not really a steer jock inthe sense that I dont go out and buy cattle cheap to jack the price up on them and resale them. 1) because I am not in a financial or facility situation to be able to do that. 2) because I enjoy doing this and part of what I enjoy is teaching people and helping them to learn what I am doing.  I take no greater joy than when someone who has been a client is able to go out and do it on their own. But then again I generally dont see my clients as clients, I see them as friends and many times dont charge more than what my expenses are for helping them, guess thats why I am not getting rich in this business, lol.  But I love every minute of it, so as long as I am not losing money I am happy. That being said I generally wait for someone to tell me that they want my help in finding a calf, then I go out and start looking for them and if at all possible, take them with me when I go to look at calves. And explain to them each step of the way what I am looking for and what I like and dislike in each calf we see.
However, if I had someone come up and offer me $20,000 for one or put one in a sale and it brought that kind of money, then I most certainly wouldnt turn it down. Unless it was someone uneducated making a ridiculous offer without knowing what they were doing.

twistedhshowstock

GONEWEST, sorry for the way my response came off. It was the middle of the night and I wasnt composing things properly.  I guess the feeling I got from your original response was that you believe there are no problems within the show cattle industry, no you didnt say that, its just the impression I got and if that was misconstrued I appologize.  But I also didnt see many people on here berating the show cattle industry, yes there are those that do it, but I didnt see that in this particular thread that much.  What I saw, and have seen a lot, is a lot of people trying to make the commercial industry and show industry into two seperate universes, yes they are different, I dont argue that and I respect both views.  I happen to love the show cattle industry, I dont raise commercial cattle and have no desire to.  However, I still think the 2 segments of the cattle world are much closer than a lot of the arguments on here make them out to be.  You are correct there are not a lot of solutions, at least not practical ones, offered up.  But discussing the problems without offering solutions is not equal to berating the industry, it is often discussion such as this that leads to minds cooperating to form possible solutions.
My point in the post about the pig industry was in response to someone elses post, which to me tried to make the show pig industry more practical than the show cattle industry because they could breed market gilts, we can also breed market heifers.  The show industry, regardless of species, is much the same across the board. They all share the same types of problems.
One solution that I can offer that would solve most of this, and I think you would agree with, but I think we can also agree will most likely not happen, and one area that I think people in the commercial and show pig industries have done.  People have to quit trying to make things something they are not.  You cant make show cattle into commercial cattle and you cant make commercial cattle into show cattle, generally.  Like I said there are exceptions to every rule.  But there are a lot of people, generally those not highly involved in the show cattle industry, that wont to see the cattle be universal across the board, and that simply wont happen.  I have a lot of experience in both species, and I dont see this problem in the pig industry.  You dont see the argument between the commercial people and the show people.  They have accepted that the commercial people have one goal and the show people have another goal, and they live with it.  The commercial people are not trying to put their pigs in the show ring and then saying the show ring is impractical when it doesnt work.  That is however what we see in the cattle industry a lot, people wanting what works best in the feedlot to be what works best in the show ring and vice versa and then being upset when it doesnt work and claiming that one or the other of the industries is impractical. However even with all of the differences I think there are some paralels that can be drawn.
It comes down to what the goals are.  Commercial: low birthweight + high growth + high feed efficiency = quicker to market weight with less feed and labor = higher profit. Show: do better in show ring = more profit.  Its really that simple if you ask me. 

GONEWEST

rackranch said:
Well since this topic ended going in several different directions I would like to add what I think is wrong with the industry today.  This past weekend my daughter and I attended a steer show to support some friends of ours.  Well there was a fairly well know ''Steer Jock'' for lack of a better term there.  He had a baby steer in the show that I liked a lot.  I asked him kinda in passing '' Can you get me one like that''  he answered with ''I got a barn full of them''.  I've always kept my daughter as involved in buying and picking her cattle as I can.  Well I asked her to go talk to him and asked if the steer he had brought was for sale.  She talked to him and came back to me with a big smile on her face and when I asked what are you smiling about.  She told me that he wanted $ 15,000.00 for the steer.  Thats when we both started laughing.

To me this is a big time problem, anyone who lives in Texas and shows at the Texas majors can consistantly see the same names and the same families in the winners circle.  Why, because they have the most money.  Breed Champions at Houston pay $ 10,000.00 and maybe that in San Antonio if your lucky.  Its non uncommon to hear of steers selling for $ 30,000.00 to $ 40,000.00 or more.  Seems like things have gotten way out of hand.  Over the last five years I have seen jackpot shows shrinking in numbers.  Why, because people are getting tired of seeing these same ol people with their same ol fitters coming to the shows and winning everything while their kids are sitting in a chair waiting for someone to introduce them to their steer. 

Could any of you even make money with a county champion at $ 15,000.00 a steer?  Very few can answer yes to that question.  I know it is what it is and there is not much that can be down to change it at this point. But I think it is a big problem with the industry.  My daughter loves raising and showing cattle and as long as she is I will support her.  I hope that after she is done I can take her cows that have been bought thru her years of showing and produce a steer a kid can take to a county show or major and place on an average family budget.  I know there are good guys out there right know that feel the way I do and are selling good familes good cattle at fair prices. For these cattle men and these familes placing a steer at the majors means more than any of these $30,000.00 familes could ever imagine.

Thanks to all the good guys out there..

If you want to know what is wrong with the show cattle industry THIS is the main problem. It's not consistency or 150 pound calves having to come out the side.

If you want to find something specific that is going to cause the industry to "plateau and eventually die" it's the cost of the beef cattle project and the difference between the "haves" and the "have nots."

One friend of mine with 4 head recently told me his feed bill was $1600 a month and he thought that was cheap. Do you know what kind of house you can buy today with $1600 a month? That doesn't even begin to address the cost of the calf, $25 a gallon Kleen Sheen or $400 blowers.

There is always the story of the $1500 steer beating the $30,000 steer. But it doesn't happen often. I hear people say "I'll just beat them with the feed bucket." They fail to take into account that the people with the $30,000 steer have a feed bucket as well. I don't care how much the kid enjoys showing, it gets old when they continually know that they are going to get beat before they even pack up the trailer. I am all for selling things as high as the market will allow and I am all for people making all the money they can make. I am just saying as the gap between those who can spend more and those who cannot widens, the industry will eventually find itself dieing.

Two examples locally. There was a little show recently that cuts off at the first 100 head entered. You ALWAYS had to enter way early. This year there were 47 calves entered.

There are a handful of families in our state who are willing to pay $20,000 for a steer. There a a few that might pay 4 or 5 for one HOPING to beat the others. That leaves the rest to tell you that your $2500 really nice steer is of no value to them at all. They are not going to pay $2500 to stand behind the $20,000 one when they can buy a $1200 steer and stand behind that one and not lose as much money. And as you might expect the steer numbers in the state are on a steady decline.

The cattle numbers being down does not mean that the livestock project numbers are down in this state. Hogs and Goats are at record numbers. Why? Cost. Without costs being driven down, the beef project will continue to lose numbers to goats and pigs.

chambero

I've been involved with showing cattle since 1985.  I'm feeling a little sentimental right now, so forgive me for retelling my personal story thatI've told many of you before, but it is important to understand my perspective and the basis for my opinions on this subject.

I started out showing pigs at the age of ten (1982).  My dad was sick with cancer during that time.  We didn't know what we were doing and half starved my pig.  The breeder finally came and checked on us and realized my pig was way too small.  To get him to gain weight, we fed him the Ensure liquid supplement that might dad couldn't take.  Long story short - my pig won Reserve Grand Champion at our county show -  a very competetive county.  It was nothing but divine intervention.  My dad died a couple of months later.  Fast forward a few years.  I had still been showing pigs, but my County Agent saw me as a boy that needed some male influence (my mom never has remarried ). She hooked me up with a local man who loved showing cattle.  His own sons had graduated, he had a niece and nephew showing, but he took me in.  And literally became my surrogate father.  I still consider him to be that to this day.  They bought my calves, paid the bills, and hauled me around the country.  They didn't spend a ton on them, but I went from terrible showman to as good as there was in Texas in a four year span.  My senior year I had a real good one.  Bobby Maddox had just finished with his Priesmeyer gig and was hired to help me out for Fort Worth and Houston.  I got close - real close at Fort Worth in 1988.  Essentially I was third overall.  I learned a whole lot from Bobby in a very short period of time.  While I didn't win shows, I did win a Houston scholarship which resulted in me being where I am today - a partner (kind of like a law firm) in the oldest engineering firm in Texas engaged in the water business.  I say this very humbly, but I am what is right about the 4-H/FFA program, specifically showing cattle.  I shudder to think what would have happened to me without it.  I owe a very big debt to the program that I do try to repay by helping other kids out besides my own.  One day I'm sure I'll be one of these people that others gripe about because they take someone else's kids to "show for them".

I have always taken great offense at people coming on these website and griping about show cattle.  With precious few exceptions, it comes from bitter, jealous people who have minimal involvement and are griping because its not easy.  Pay your dues for about 10 years before you even start telling everyone else what's wrong with them.

I started breeding cattle in the mid 90s when I got married.  We really had quite a bit of success pretty quickly using Maine-X bulls (bought from Bobby Maddox) on commercial Angus cows.  Never paid more than $3500 for a bull back then.  Our success both peaked and crashed at the same time in the 2004/2005 season.  We raised two breed champion steers at Houston that year.  One of them was supposed to have been sold through a major club calf sale, but we got too cute with the floor price a very major club calf auctioneer looked at the wrong sale line and "caught" the calf.  We were told it was our tough luck.  To get him shown, we wound up taking a plain black heifer in trade, probably worth $500.  We sold the other steer for $2,000.  Two other major steer traders looked at our calf crop that year prior to these sales.  We asked $1500 each for a group of our best steers and were turned down.  After those calves went and won at Houston - BOTH kids took their $15,000 checks and spent them with big time jocks.  My father-in-law basically told everyone involved to go to he** and we sent every darned calf we had the next year to the feedlot just to prove a point.  He figured that if we couldn't make money on calves that good, it was pointless trying to do this for profit.  He was a lot more right that I still care to admit. 

After the "year off" we still kept selling calves, but at very reasonable prices to kids we knew that cared and would appreciate it.  It makes a big difference in end results if you don't get calves in the right hands, but so be it.  It's that big picture thing that's most important.

We are more serious than ever now about breeding show cattle - primarily for my own sons to show.  We did it the slow way.  We bred every female we currently own except for 10 yearling registered Angus heifers we bought this summer.  We've never paid more than $6,500 for a bull.  Some of my observations and errors include:

"Show cattle" and commercial cattle aren't that far apart - particularly in a feedlot setting.  Most of our calf crop winds up in feedlots every year.  I've posted years of carcass data on them that proves in my mind that the gap is not as far as is often stated.  I've yet to see someone post group data that proves otherwise.

The feedlots we deal with don't give a hoot about structure as long as they can walk to the feed trough.  I've sent calves that "weren't sound" and without fail they've always hung very good carcasses.  Never had one to my knowledge that didn't make it all the way, except for about 5-6 spastic paresis cases over the last 15 years that I put down as calves.

There aren't near as many $20,000+ cattle as advertised.  When cattle bring that much, they are paying as much for the service from steer jocks (which is very valuable) as they are the calf.  The stupid people are the ones that pay that much only to get left hanging in the wind.  In my honest opinion, if you want to play, you are smarter spending $15,000+ on one real good steer as long as you are getting the service than you are a barnful of $5,000-$10,000 steers.

There are lots and lots of reasonably priced calves to be had if you'll just go to the breeders.  Where in the world do you think the traders get them?  These 25-30 year old kids who are the traders/jocks don't have the capital to buy the dozens of calves they show off at the prices they claim.  Most of them are selling them on commission or the breeders are having to wait for checks till the calves are sold.

Show steer numbers aren't down in Texas, they're up.  I wish I could find it, but I saw validation numbers for this past year and they are huge, as are numbers that actually show up at majors. 

I think the only prospect shows that are truly down are the TCCA's major prospect shows.  I'm sorry, but there are way too many conflicts of interest in that organization.  That is a violation of a basic business principle.  If they don't fix some things, I wouldn't bet on their existence in 10 years.  And my boys are members.  The TCCA is doing some things right.  I love their Cow Camp. I haven't been to the Bonanza since about 07 and I don't remember the last time I went to the Fall Classic (my fault because that's when we breed cattle).

I love the dramatic increase in emphasis in education that almost everyone seriously involved is placing on our kids.  Examples - the breed associations who have really stepped up their junior programs, Sullivans classes, the Texas Quality Counts Program (do a web search on it if you don't know what it is), the different camps so many jocks put on, etc.

I worry way more about the quality of the people parents will let their kids hang out with to win than I do the amount of money they spend.  There's a mixed crowd of young adults (not that young anymore) and minors that run around Texas shows that I suspect would get people put in jail if it were looked at very hard.  When I pick someone to help my kids out with clipping/fitting/whatever, I look as much at the quality of the person as I do their ability.  I show cattle to raise kids.  Hadn't won nothing of importance yet, but I bet we do someday.

JY

I agree with Chambero as to the many, many benefits of young people being involved in a livestock program. There are some real problems that all of us should realize can't be changed much so those of us that love the business and realize how many kids have benefited from the program just keep trying. As far as the people that can pay $20,000 or more for cattle, our family always looked on that as a learning tool because there will always be someone in life that has more money than you and life is not always fair. The same goes on the far deal for the way of a fhonest family dealing with the fact that some of the cattle are not real that they compete against. Kids learn to say no to temptations to do wrong so that when they grow up they won't be tempted to rob a bank if they need money. My family did not have the money to buy the high dollar steers, but we relied on our selection ability and our work ethic  (we also did not have hired help at home). We did it all as family and ejoyed all the hours we spent doing it. 

So much for the soap box. We and our family now raise club calves and showpigs. It is challenge because we are the "little guy" and most families now think they have to buy from the big time jocks because they are only ones that have good cattle. When we were showing we hunted and looked and bought from anyone that had one we thought would work and we could afford. Did not have to be from a name brand person. I still believe that works if you find the right people to work with.

hevmando

For those who don't know me, I am a novice/rookie show cattle Dad going on 4 years.  I showed pigs in 4H 30 years ago for the sole reason of being able to play more softball with my neighboring buddies back when our county had 16 clubs and all had at least 1 if not 3 softball teams.  10 years ago my kids started showing chickens and pigs, also have tried sheep.  My family talks about the first year conspiracy theory.  Dad (me) won the barrow show the first year he showed pigs.  My kids won the chicken and goat show the first year they showed them.  Only in sheep and hogs does the theory not work.  So 4 years ago, my daughter says she wants to try cattle. My wife and I swore our family would never show cattle due to the investment required.  I respond with "I will buy you a heifer and a steer and the condition you go out for gen lvstk judging".  Well, I pay $ 1500.00 total for a steer and a heifer, we win the steer show at the county, and are first blue in a class the res ch came out of at the MN state fair.  She's hooked!  And now so are my two boys.  A friend I grew up with who showed cattle, says I might as well have gotten hooked on crack, it would have been cheaper.  The amazing thing about the club calf industry is this, my kids would rather do cattle chores in a blizzard in January in MN, than check on the pigs, lambs, or chickens who often times only needed a walk through.  They love it.  We now have 1 bred cow, 4 bred heifers, 2 heifer calves and a steer calf.  Still looking for a nice breeding heifer for one son btw).  They have learned what it takes to wash, clip, show, feed, brush, win and lose with their cattle. They also know you must get better every year. The last place steer at our county fair this year probably would have beaten ours 4 years ago. And they all judge livestock, for the sole purpose of learning how to make a decision and then defend that decisions verbally in front of another adult judging them.  It has taught me how to be a better father and spouse, as we all have to work together, and sacrifice, for this hobby.  That is what is right about the club calf industry.  What is wrong with it could also be said about sports, government, and society in general.  Reading the posts prior to this however makes one realize their are some very intelligent people, with morals and a sense of what is right and wrong  in this world that happen to like showing cattle.

jhumphries

clementcattle said:
olsun said:
  Of all the national judging contests I went to this past year, I maybe saw two or three stuctually sound steers that were truly comfortable on the move.
Every breed of cattle has cripples. hell every species of animals has cripples yes even people (lol). my neighbor has a set of registered gelbviehs and everyone of them are tick straight fronted never seen any club calve genetics. the straightest fronted cows that i own are all pb simmy bulls out of just variety of angus and angus cross cows. i got one thats out of a hereford x angus that i bought in a sale these people that raised her had never seen a real true beef show animal.  breed her to a war nitro out of miss pepper(she was national champion) son got heifer she has the best calve in pasture every year but its a tick straight she is seven years old breed her to 6 different bulls all the calves the same from angus bulls to club calves bull except one she had a heatwave heifer that was as sound as cat she was unbelieveablly athletic so to me all cattle have structure problems just like people its just nature

clementcattle

"I have always taken great offense at people coming on these website and griping about show cattle.  With precious few exceptions, it comes from bitter, jealous people who have minimal involvement and are griping because its not easy.  Pay your dues for about 10 years before you even start telling everyone else what's wrong with them."

Chambero,
This was not the purpose of the thread nor have I seen anyone do that on this discussion.  Now I agree that showing cattle is an excellent life lesson tool, but to further improve and continue those learning experiences and our industry, we need to be extremely critical of what are industry consists of.  That is the purpose of this discussion.