Problematic Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

Annoth

Ok I'm having the absolute worst time with my 2 steers. Last year I had one calf who was my first and mostly broken; I just had to pull him for a few weeks and boom, he'd walk. These 2 I have... nope. What's worse I havent any experience in wild cattle.

My first one is going to Houston Livestock Show. A massive show, a large crowd, a large open area. Just in our barn, he'll kinda lead to an open area but starts getting antsy. Any time I try to show him the proper turn (pushing his head away from me) or he's in the general direction of his pen, he bolts to it. I've been tying him up, head level, for varying periods no shorter than 20 minutes. He's just not breaking and I'm about to pump him full of Peace Pellets & tie his head as high as possible as a last resort.

My other one isnt going to as big a show, just my school district's. However the breeder that supplied the calves for selection didnt work with them. This one is notorious for kicking, bucking, and pushing. He's the same on lead but has a much more dominating personality. His pen is next to my Houston steer's but the moment the fence aint between them, this one just HAS to mount the other. I afraid that in the ring that'll be the only thing he'll do. (The one I showed last year tried it once in the final show and nearly crushed my foot)
Since he's such a kicker I've been tempted to try something. Most shows have the same general rules like dye use, hair rules, rowdy steers ect ect. Think I'd be allowed to tie an index card to his tail that says "Stay back" or "I kick" ? :>

I'm running out of options, time, and encouragement. I bought the Houston steer in late April, and the other May 15th and they still are wild and uncontrollable. The showing starts early February. Also, does anyone have reviews for Peace Pellets? Does it calm them down?

obie105

Does anyone in your area with experience have a donkey? In all my years of showing I had never used one til this summer and I am a fan. 4 hours one evening and they are broke atleast that was my experience. It sounds like your doing it right tho. Don't get discouraged! You have some time which is good that you are realizing there is a problem early. Try to get some local assistance from a breeder or advisor they might be able to watch and see something that we can't from the internet.

rackranch

The steers you are talikng about must be pretty close to a year old and should have been broke a long time ago.  I would venture to say that you need to spend a little more time in the barn working with your animals.

vc

Sounds like there pretty green still, we really do not spend a lot of time working on leading, what we do is move them from the catch area to the tie area, from there to the wash rack and back and then down the isle and to the gate. When we get ready to turn them loose is when they get worked with as far as setting up and leading. It is an 8' by 48' isle way they act up they get tied up immediately and have to stand until they calm down. A good daily routine seems to be the best way to get them to gentle down.

As far as the kicker, can try a few different things tie a feed bag filled with other bags and tie it to a stick, rub the bag on him and let him kick it until he gets tired of it or finds out he is not going to get hurt, or put him in the wash rack and just spray him down and let him kick at the water, the hose, anything but you. you can take a leave rake and scratch on him with it if he kicks it no harm no foul, most will stop kicking once they lose the fear, there are some who kick out of meanness, they are a bigger issue. As far as mounting the other won a good swift blow to the nose when he tries it will get his attention.

We started with range calves, made broke calves that much sweeter when you get them.