Prolapsed Bull Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

WMW11

Has anyone had any experience with a bull calf having a prolapsed rectum?  What did you do to fix it? thanks

Earthmover

HAd one last year, sowed in a purse string, gave iodine shots around anus to create scar tissue. It worked for a while but ended up butchering him at about 800lbs. Meat was no good. IMO save yourself the trouble and expense. If it happened to us again he would have gone to woods and put him and us out of the misery.

rkmn

Talked to someone yesterday who had the same issue with a steer. They ended up having him butchered the first chance they got.
Wish I had better news, but it seems the prolapse comes back a high percentage of the time.

Till-Hill

I had a 500 pound str in with some heifers that were coming in heat and he kept riding them and he prolapsed and kept getting worse. Had vet out he sewed him up and I kept him alone or at least with cattle bigger than him and got him up to 1400 pounds without any trouble....

WMW11

Thanks for the help.  If anyone has any other ideas let me know. 

WMW11

My vet says it is caused by him eating to much dry hay and is having a hard time passing it?  Any vets out there know what causes this? Thanks

Till-Hill

Yes to much fiber, I forgot to mention that. My steer was eating a grower 94% forage diet and my vet had me put him on my finishing diet and he never missed a beat.

aandtcattle

I have had a few angus bull calves do this during a.i. season and think it is from the little guys trying to mount the cows and over-exerting themselves doing it.  I have sewed them up and castrated the ones that it happens to and then they quit riding cows and the problem goes away.  I have never had a problem with anything prolapsing due to too much roughage or hay but I suppose anything is possible.

Latest posts