Prolapsed Uterus

Help Support Steer Planet:

jsuhr

On Easter Sunday morning around 2am I went to check on a heifer and sure enough we had a prolapsed uterus. The vet came out and we got her put back in. But after about 2 weeks we gave her a shot of Lutalyse and now we are going to take the suture out but, it wont come out. She has been fairly pussy for probably 10 days. I may give her another show of lutalyse to try and clean her out. Any suggestion as to how to get the stitch out ? Thanks!

Lucky_P

Buehner stitch?  You've just got to pull - or dig in there - 'til you can find it and snip one 'leg' of it and pull it out.
I always tied 'em in a bow at the bottom of the vulva - if the piece at the top had pulled in and I couldn't locate it easily, I could at least untie or pull down on the knot to a point that I could snip the tape on one side of the knot and pull it out.

jsuhr

I was able to cut the one side of the know but that wasn't the problem, it was the actual pulling part. I don't want to pull too hard becuase I'm not sure what that may do to the cow.

CAB

You just need to pull it. Once it starts to move it'll come on out easily. Just make sure that you get it cut by the knot, grab the knot and pull until it comes.