Prospect calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainecattlemother

I know this may seem like a stupid question but does anyone know the average weight of a prospect market calf at state fair. I think our market steer got away from us in weight and we may be looking at taking a prospect calf. We weighed last evening and the calf we like has been gaining a little over 2 pounds since birth. At average gain the calf should be about 440 pounds give or take a little. He has a lot of muscle and big hair so he appears to look bigger. I just don't want to look like a fool taking to small a calf. I am thinking this is about right but want others opinions. He is an early March calf and we show at MN State Fair.

Tyler

My family has shown prospect calves at the MN State Fair a few times and I think a #450 calf is about the average.  There will be 300-600lb calves there with birthdates ranging from Feb to April

mainecattlemother

Thanks for the info. I am guessing we will be in the 410-430 lb range so we should be right in that middle range. I was thinking that is where Netzkes always sat but I didn't want to look like we were a midget compared to everyone else. I think our calf is pretty decent. She is a I-80 x Monopoly x Friction. The mother was shown as market heifer a couple years ago and was Champion or Reserve Market at almost every jackpot show from Morris north.