protocol for inducing

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

Do you give 5cc Lutalyse and 25cc Dex at the same time to induce? Generally when would you expect them to start calving from that point?

drl

5cc lutalyse and 10cc Dex is all it takes here. If we give it in the morning 9-10 am, they have been calving from 24 hrs to 40 hours later. We also feed the cows about 5 pm to help reduce nighttime calving but inducing seems to mess that up. A couple of vets have told me that there is no reason to ever give more that 10cc of dex for anything. By the way, I am not a vet but this is what we do. That is what we were prescribed.

gandrdad

I am not a vet or an expert, but I usually induce about 25% of my calves each year because of travel.  I have always used 5cc of Lutalyse and 20cc of Dex.  We generally see a calf in 30-32 hours.  If they calve in 24 or less, you didn't do anything except waste your drugs.  Often when cows are induced this way they will not clean.  I like to wait 48 hours and then give them another 5cc of Lut and some oxytocin to help with cleaning the afterbirth.  Do not try to pull it out.  Good Luck.

DL

braunvieh said:
Do you give 5cc Lutalyse and 25cc Dex at the same time to induce? Generally when would you expect them to start calving from that point?

The signal for labor in the cow is fetal cortisol - dexamethasone is a mimic of fetal cortisol. Dexamethasone alone will induce labor but many prefer (and I among them) to add Lutalyse when inducing.

Dose of dexamethasone is 20 to 30 mg (FWIW good to give dose in mg not ml because there are different concentrations of dexamethasone) - for 2mg/ml concentration that is 10 to 15 ml (cc)

Dose of Lutalyse is 25 mg (5 ml -cc)

Give both at the same time - deep in the muscle

I always check (palpate) the cow to make sure I feel 2 feet and a head (or if I don't I know what I've got)

cow should calve in 24 to 48 hours - generally about 36 hrs

There is no evidence (scientific) that inducing beef cows leads to more retained placentas than not inducing them - this is different than in dairy - there is also no evidence that giving oxytocin or lutalyse after 24 hours makes any difference with RPs - but it makes people feel better and like they are doing something ;)