proud papa!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

My 3 year old daughter join me at the barn tonight which isn't unusual but tonight after washing our feeder calf she decided she wanted to blow him out. I helped her at first showing her the right way to do it and she blew out both sides from the belly down. It is so amazing how quick kids pick up on things.

Gargan

thats pretty cool. i got a 2 month old girl. only 34 more months til i can start the training. lol. thanks for sharing!! (thumbsup)

sizzler14

My son is due Sept 6th!!! I already bought him his first Donor Cow from Lautner! I cant wait for him to toddle a longbehind me to the barn and help rinse and blow or just talk to me  and watch while I do it!!  (thumbsup)

irh

Our 2 year old grandaughter came home from the fair and lined up three of her stuffed cows and her sister gave her ribbons, she went down the line and said, this cow was pretty and this cow was ugly.  She probably could've judged better than the judge we had for our open show this year.

CAB

I hate to be a Debbie Downer & I am guilty of letting/putty my own kids in harms way. Boy if she accidentally drops the hose and scares the calf she could easily take a foot to the head, face, or chest area and be seriously hurt. She is too young to realize the danger areas around a calf. Many times calves will be more wary of a smaller person around them. That being said I know exactly how you feel. Just please be careful. Like I said my own kids paid some undue consequences because of my own mistakes. You don't get 3 sets of teeth for instance & bones do heal, but you feel awful when it's your kid and probably your fault that they did get hurt.

SWMO

I agree with CAB.  Please be careful.  Cattle seem to be especially wary of small children and sometimes downright scared of them.  Accidents happen in a heartbeat and you live with the consequences for the rest of your life.

Glorifying Pastures

That's awesome. My two year old loves to wash the cows (and the ground). He combs and brushes them also. My daughter will be there soon also she is ten months. We all can be nervous with small kids around the cows/steers, but that was me at their age. We just keep a close eye on them, but that may not be enough sometimes. Have a great time with your kids and cows. <rock>

I'm always very carefull and there is always a risk but my kids aren't goin to live in a bubble. So far all of our calves have been great around her but we are just starting with clubbies again and they have been around her and the barn since birth.