Purebred Charolais Fakeford

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

Mark H said:
You guys have seen black Charolais. How about a purebred Charolais marked like a Polled Hereford bull? Note the only thing lot 2 needs is a feather neck: http://www.charolaisbanner.com/cat11/forsyth/2.htm
I have seen red factor Charolais bulls that show plenty of white but this takes the cake.

Now that is very interesting!  I wonder if they have a neighbour who has a Simmental bull. This color thing can really make you scratch your head some days. Occasionally I will get a calf and when I see the color I wonder how it is even possible. When I had our Charolais herd, I noticed that some of the cows, especially the ones that had some French breeding, seemed to have white heads and a darker creamier colored bodies. I mentioned this to a WW II  veteran who was visiting and looking at our cattle, and he said that he was not surprised that there were not more that showed this characteristic. When I asked what he meant, he said that he had spent considerable time in France during the war, and that almost all the fences between farms were destroyed in some areas. He said that there were lots of cattle that run together in that period of time, so he thought there was lots of crossing of the breeds even in some of the PB herds. I often wondered if that is what caused these cows to have this coloration.

Mark H

If you wanted to see a darker shaded Full French bull you should have seen Tee Anchor Aiglon.  He looked like a Pie Rouge Simmental when wet.  That said I never seen Hereford markings on a purebred Charolais to this degree.  This shows one of the biggest problems the red factor cattle have showing white.  Some of them look like lighter shaded Maines.  A bull called Onaway Stonewalker was known for putting plenty of white including white faces on red factor cattle.  This bull is straight domestic breeding so I suspect he acquired this Hereford markings from a few distant ancestors.
The French in WWII took their best breeding stock and put them in the ALPS to keep them away from the Germans.  Np fences to speak of there just hoping the herders could keep them apart.  In fact so many cattle did end up with crossed pedigrees that a new breed to accommodate the crossbreds was formed- the Blonde D' Aquitaine.  Go look at the variation in the cattle imported and you will see what I mean.

CAB

Love to see a DNA profile on that one. I can't believe that it would come out clean.

SWMO

What also strikes me is the bw epd's.  Notice the 0.7 with a 105 actual bw, the -2.7 with an actual bw of 95 and the 102 lb bw with a -0.1.  That is stretching the red factor just a bit :)

sjc

I saw it online last night Mark. At first i thought it was the incorrect picture but it doesnt look like it. Those farmers dont have another breed or anything.

The breeder should have nutted that bull at birth. Consistent color is very important to the Charolais breed - that is ridiculous. When I mentioned in another post that purebred breeders are getting lazier and lazier this proves my point. Anything with a set of nuts goes into the sale. I will never buy a bull from that breeder. It is shameful they would even consider selling a calf like that.

ps mark i went to the Rawe's sale. it was a hell of a sale. The bulls were solid - nothing overly spectacular but very consistent from top to bottom. I didnt buy any but I threw in a few bids. There is a few sales next week I will be attending