Purple eclipse?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jagerbeef

I bought a semen grab bag at an auction and Purple Eclipse was a part of it. How are his calves as far as size, and what type of cows does he work on?  Do they make good cows?  Not quite sure why they through him in with a group of Heatwave 5, star power, and Sull Salute.  Brother wanted salute and I wanted the other two only two straws of eclipse, but from pictures I like the looks of him.

Thanks for the help

mykidsluvshorthorns

He can make good steers we showed one a couple of years ago out of just an ordinary commercial shorthorn cow. I am pretty sure he is dirty though so you need to be careful what you use him on.

ATM OH

We used him back when he first came out.  Had decent luck with him.  We used him on some TH carrier All About You cows.  He really threw some thick hairy calves that were sellable.  Always got a little leggy before they were finished though.  Im thinking he could still work in some situations on some of the small framed clubby females.

mick rems

i thought about using him way back when my now 4 yr old was a heifer. he is th carrier so i would not use him on any positive cows. i agree with atm oh on using him on smaller framed and deep cows as he is shorthorn and i havent met too many shortys that were naturally deep before they got fit and fed up. id use him on a deep angus or simmy personally.

mick rems

ATM OH said:
We used him back when he first came out.  Had decent luck with him.  We used him on some TH carrier All About You cows.  He really threw some thick hairy calves that were sellable.  Always got a little leggy before they were finished though.  Im thinking he could still work in some situations on some of the small framed clubby females.

i do not agree with u for using him on th carriers. hes positive. u could have had some major issues. but im glad u didnt have issues that u mentioned anyway. i personally do not believe in the only way to get a good calf is by dirtying up ur herd basically all of my cows are clean. i recently shipped my only possibly positive cow and she did not produce either. i have one possibly dirty heifer calf but i will be testing her to be sure and if she is positive i will never ever breed her dirty as i do not want any issues on my farm and lyk i said i dont believe in the whole theory of you need a carrier to have hair and bone as well as thickness ive had plenty of totally clean thick hairy big boned cattle.

ATM OH

trust me I wouldnt have used him on TH carrier cows if he wasnt free....Im not sure where they were getting info that he was a carrier.

Ohio1

Who knows but there is always miss prints in the catalogs.