Qualifications, please help

Help Support Steer Planet:

RuffoniSistersCattle

Hello fellow Steer Planet members, I am working with a dear friend of mine on  a interview,resume etc project as if he was applying to work as a ranch/showstring hand. While working on this project ( which is imaginary as part of a class assignment) it came up about qualifications and work experience.

So as breeders, fitters/clippers, FFA/4H advisors, community members,board members and more. If you were hiring someone to work for you what qualifations would you look for. Why did you hire who is working for you now? What qualifications do they have? certifications? work experience? Do you look for specific backround. Do you look for breeding based knowledge, or anatomy and veterinary knowledge, nutrition experience, sales and marketing experience? 

Any information and as much detail as you can offer is much appretiated!! Thanks in advanced

leanbeef

Certainly any experience or knowledge the candidate has would be important to mention. I wouldn't focus so much on those things that I forget to mention personality traits like responsible, dependable, eager to learn new things, etc. I would much rather hire a young person who was eager to learn and willing to bemcounted on than somebody who thinks he or she has the market cornered on information, knowledge, or experience. A background would be helpful, but definitely not the only criteria I would consider. When building any resume for any position, think about ANY qualities or skills that make you a natural fit for the job and focus on those things. When it comes down to it, I'd hire the one my gut told me to hire over the candidate who might look good on paper and leaves me unconvinced in an interview.

blackdiamond

look at their hands, and feel the handshake.  Workers have caluses on their hands, and a firm handshake.  No matter how smart or dumb, a good worker can be trained to do something. 

I would then like to look at their phone, number of text messages and frequency, and number of calls answered vs. missed.  Hard to do work when you're on the phone constantely.

At the place my dad works at, they need three things: pass a drug test, show up to work every day, and not spend all day on the phone--  they can train you to do everything else.

kidsandkows

I guess it kind of depends on the line of work, and I know this is an easy one to lie about (but you usually get a feeling if they are lying). But I put a lot of empahsis on being able to communicate and relate to others. I think it is going to be very important in our industry in the future to be able to "tell our story". Some people have that genuine ability to relate to people and communicate with them. I think that would be a huge asset to a lot of different types of companies or businesses. But agree with all of above just all around good work ethic.