Question about Dirty Hair calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Danielle1

We just had our first dirty hair calf and it is terrible crippled.  I am looking for some first hand accounts on his calves, please. Thank you

rackranch

Bought a DH show steer last year that ended up in the butcher shop before he made 900lbs because his front end blew out on him... Was a nice until then... Thats the only one I've had though, good luck..

ATM OH

We had a Dirty Harry 2 bull calf born buckled over on his front legs last year.  He weighs around 1100 lbs now and walks fine and looks good.  He just wasnt sellable as a show steer of course.

farmboy

my experience is opposite actually. We own several DH's and have a very nice cow out of him. Had show steer last year who was one of the soundest calves I've ever showed. Might be tough luck and it might be your cows.

willow

We have a Dirty Harry 2 out of a Mossy Oak cow.  Real nice little heifer with no structural issues. 

ATM OH

We have also had positive scenarios with DH2 and we actually have one due next week out of a Monopoly cow.  Just had the one last year with structure issues.  I still think he is worth using.

mark tenenbaum

The first Dirty Hairys I saw(in 2004 or 2005) were from Lehmans in Wisconsin-who have really good Shorthorns and x breds-they were out of Shorthorn females as I recall-they were really sound and thick,but very nice patterend O0

Ohio1

A good friend of mine showed a dirty harry steer last year that was pretty successful in the Ohio shows and ATM OH has a nice DH2 heifer on the ground right now!

OH Breeder

I guess I would be interested to know what is on the dam's side as well. 
We have a Dirty Hairy heifer now cow. She is sound and had a fantastic calf out of Jupiter this year.

olsun

For what it"s worth, I had a good cattleman tell me that Strictly Buisness is the start of many structure problems. I am not bad mouthing SB, because I have seen a lot of good ones that trace back to him. However I have also seen many cripples from that line. Dirty Hairy is out of a SB cow. Just something to think about.

lcattleco.

I wouldn't use him on anything that may have structure issues, and he sure won't  ad any milk either.  Just had a monop out of dh's grandmother that is lights out though.

Danielle1

Thank you everyone for the replies  (thumbsup)  I really appreciate it, I have one more cow bred to him to see how it goes. This particular cow has never had a calf with issues before but you know how it goes with genetics. Sometimes you get the short straw, so to speak.  I try to never make a quick judgment on a new bull (new for us) so I appreciate the words of encouragement. I will keep you posted on how #2 goes. Also I should have specified that yes he has structure issues on his front legs.

Danielle1

I really need to spell check.. Surprised anyone found this topic. Dirty hair calves. LOL