Question about Sim/Angus crosses

Help Support Steer Planet:

barngoddess

I'm not very familiar with simmys or the way their association works, but if I were to breed a PB angus to a PB simmy, would the calf be able to be registered with the simmental association as a a SimAngus or whatever they are calling them? There's so many..Sim Plus, Sim Solutions, I get confused :p Basically I want to know if the calf (whether it be a heifer or a bull then made a steer) can show in the AOB division if a Sim Angus class is not offered at a show.

And while we are on the subject....what simmy bull is proven, reliable, and would work good on a decent angus cow? Haven't decided which of my girls I want to try this on yet.
Thanks.

firesweepranch

The resulting calf would be registered percentage simmental. Sim Plus and Sim Solution are just names people use for a simm cross. We always run our percentages in a Simm Solution class (simm cross, 50 percent or higher, up to 3/4 around most parts out here). If there is no percentage class offered, we run them in crossbred or purebred depending on the fair management. A lot of our fairs do not require papers, so as long as your honest about your percentage than the management can decide.
There are so many good Simmental bulls out there, it really depends on your cow and what you want (Blaze, Homo black or not). Like the Angus breed, they can be so different. A while back, there was a member (Linnz if I remember correctly) that put out a pretty good description of the simmental bulls out there and what they are best crossed with. Of course, it would not have some of the newer stuff on it but it would be a good start. Do a search for it, might help you a bit. If you cant find it, let me know. I have it copied somewhere on my computer, just have to dig it up.

barngoddess

I'll search and see if I can find it. Thanks for the info! Most of our shows around here have AOB classes that I could show the calf in, and there are a few shows that have sim solution classes. I'm looking to have the calf have a blaze so of course I like the bulls with more white on them.

Thanks again!

SEA

firesweepranch said:
The resulting calf would be registered percentage simmental. Sim Plus and Sim Solution are just names people use for a simm cross. We always run our percentages in a Simm Solution class (simm cross, 50 percent or higher, up to 3/4 around most parts out here). If there is no percentage class offered, we run them in crossbred or purebred depending on the fair management. A lot of our fairs do not require papers, so as long as your honest about your percentage than the management can decide.
There are so many good Simmental bulls out there, it really depends on your cow and what you want (Blaze, Homo black or not). Like the Angus breed, they can be so different. A while back, there was a member (Linnz if I remember correctly) that put out a pretty good description of the simmental bulls out there and what they are best crossed with. Of course, it would not have some of the newer stuff on it but it would be a good start. Do a search for it, might help you a bit. If you cant find it, let me know. I have it copied somewhere on my computer, just have to dig it up.

To Fire Sweep Ranch:

I tried to search Linnz.  No luck.  Do you have the title of the post that we may post it.  Perhaps we could even contact Linnz and he/she could update the list.  Thanks!  :)

GONEWEST

SEA said:
firesweepranch said:

To Fire Sweep Ranch:

I tried to search Linnz.  No luck.  Do you have the title of the post that we may post it.  Perhaps we could even contact Linnz and he/she could update the list.  Thanks!  :)

I think you searched with too many n's        Linz

SEA

Wow!  Last post for Linz was in 2011?  Is this right?

firesweepranch

SEA said:
Wow!  Last post for Linz was in 2011?  Is this right?
Yeah, that is probably right. She used to be pretty active on here, and we actually met her in Indiana at the Simmental Nationals in 2009. So did you find it?