Question about turning steers out

Help Support Steer Planet:

Simmymom1

Okay, as some of you might remember back in May our barn burned down and we lost two show steers and everything else cattle related.  Well, we have rebuilt our barn and we are really happy with it.  The only thing we have not done yet is make the runs coming off of each of the steers pens.  Instead of the runs, right now it is one big trap area.  We have been turning our older steer out at night in the trap area.  Now we have our younger steer for county we just got in. 

My question is..would it be okay to turn these guys out together at night until the runs are built?  Do you think that there is a chance the bigger steer could hurt the little steer?  Should I just wait until the runs are built and rotate turning them out at night.  The bigger steer is weighing around 920 Lbs and the smaller steer is about 600 Lbs.  Thanks for any advice, I just tend to worry about these kind of things!

Lisa  :)

taylor tay

I think that the older steer will not beat up on the younger steer, turn them out together. (pop)

garett

I'd say as long as they are used to each other, then turn them out together. If not pen them beside each other for a while to get acquainted, then they should be fine to turn out together. You might want to watch them when you first turn them out just for a bit, no matter what so they don't decide to start fighting.

chambero

They are close enough in size there shouldn't be a problem.  Biggest risk would be if there was also an open heifer around that could trigger riding response where the little one might be knocked around. 

Simmymom1

chambero said:
They are close enough in size there shouldn't be a problem.  Biggest risk would be if there was also an open heifer around that could trigger riding response where the little one might be knocked around. 

Thanks Chambero... No heifers are around them, so no issues there.  They are penned right beside each other.  Starting tonight I am going to start letting them out together.  I think having the younger one out there with the older one will be a good idea, seeing that the older calf is LAZY!  Might get him some more exercise at night!  Thanks for the help....I think at this point I am just worried about anything bad happening.  That barn fire really did me in!

Lisa

Bain Simmental

We turn our heifers out together at night they've always done fine maybe some head butting at the hay ring but nothing horrible.

katie_k

id let them spend supervised time together to help them get used to one another then after they get who is dominent out of the way they should create a herd of their own and stick together and be just fine