Question for all the Texans.

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

If a person wanted to watch one of the big steer show down there 1) Where are they? 2) When are they? 3) Which one would you suggest and why?
Want to see one before I get too old to remember the experience.

showmom37

Definately Houston Livestock Show.  It is sometime in February. That's about all I know...as we are new to showing steer.  I am sure there are plenty more, like in Ft. Worth & San Antonio.  We were able to be at the show in Houston last year when they Granded the steer...it was pretty cool!  Good luck, hope you get to make a show!  And if you just wanna see a small show, come see the Galveston Cty. Fair in April...lol!  Have a great day!

Simmymom1

(thumbsup)  I would say either the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo in February or Fort Worth in January.  Both are amazing shows to watch.  Your "haired" steers will be in Fort Worth and your "slick" steers will be in Houston.

Both are great to go to, I personally enjoy the atmosphere of Houston more.  But...Fort Worth has a lot to offer too.  You can't go wrong with either show, you will have a great time wherever you end up!

Lisa

BDCO

Simmymom1 said:
(thumbsup)  I would say either the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo in February or Fort Worth in January.  Both are amazing shows to watch.  Your "haired" steers will be in Fort Worth and your "slick" steers will be in Houston.

Both are great to go to, I personally enjoy the atmosphere of Houston more.  But...Fort Worth has a lot to offer too.  You can't go wrong with either show, you will have a great time wherever you end up!

Lisa

I agree Houston or Fort Worth, but I'm assuming you'd be wanting to see a slick show so Houston would be the place to go for sure!
Also, if I'm not mistaken fort worth steers go in feb. 1st, and Houston steers aren't until march this go around.

Simmymom1

;D  BDCO...you are right about the dates.  I should have checked into that first!  My daughter is showing her Angus in Fort Worth this year, so I should have known that!  Thanks for the correct information!!

The Show

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. Ft. Worth or Houston. I like Ft. Worth better than Houston because it's cold, it's a fit show, and I love atmosphere.

Bain Simmental

I would defiantly recommend Ft Worth, its a great show with fitting like everyone's mentioned. Ft Worth also has tons of history in the stockyards and is an awsome place to go my favorite show for sure.

SFASUshowman

Ft Worth for sure..Houston and San Anantonio are both great but I prefer the fitted steers and the history that comes with Ft Worth

chambero

The Fort Worth Show is a sight to behold - especially the exotic classes on Friday.  There are 8 classes of exotics shown on Friday that will have around 90 head each - with probably half of the calves in each class being "real good".  At the end of the day you'll get to see the British and American breed champion in the Grand drive.

Fort Worth is my favorite show.  Houston would be a close second, but seeing slick calves for the first time would probably be fairly shocking to you.  They are something of an acquired taste.

JSchroeder

In a normal year it would be a toss up depending on whether you want to see slick cattle or not.  This year the Forth Worth steer show will be February 3rd & 4th…….the Super Bowl will be held in Arlington February 6th.  Whether you want to be around that madness should make your decision for you.

Somebody from up north would get a better kick out of Houston any way.  Fort Worth is just a really big version of a yankee steer show.  Houston is where you’ll get to see the wide variety of types of show steers.

San Antonio, San Angelo, and Austin all pale in comparison to those two.

frostback

Ohhhhhh Yea. Now I remember why I have never gone and seen one. They are right when we are calving, that and Huston is too far to drive. When are the other shows listed? Ft. Worth is a fitted show and I have see those, think I would like to see a slick. Thanks to all that helped so far.

steerraiser

Fort Worth is one of the best steer shows you'll see.  Like previous posters have said, it is the first week of February.  On Thursday, there will be the Americans, Herefords, Polled Herefords, Angus, Shorthorn, and 4 classes of light weight Exotic Crosses showing.  Then on Friday, there are 8 classes of medium and heavy weight exotic steers, follwed by the champion drive.  Jeff mentioned that there were around 90 head in each exotic class and that is true and they are all fighting for 10 sale slots in aeach class.  It is highly competitive and is definitely a show to come and watch sometime.  It is a my favorite show and I usually only sell slick shear type cattle; I just really enjoy that show.  Houston is right behind Fort Worth in terms of rank and it is the top slick shear show to go and see.  Fort Worth is the first of February, San Antonio is 3rd week of February, San Angelo is last week of February, Houston is 2nd week of March, Star of Texas is last week of March, and the State Fair of Texas is last week of Sept or 1st week of Oct.  San Antonio is a nice show as well and the others drop off in comparison.

JSchroeder

San Antonio on Feb 16-18 is your best bet for slicks if you can't make Houston.  San Antonio is head and shoulders above the lower level slick shows such as Austin or San Angelo but it's not Houston by any measure.  The current facilities are sub par at best (new barns are supposed to come online 2013) and there's around 1,000 fewer steers than Houston.

chappy

Fort worth is worth the trip for anyone 1800 to 2000+ calves half of which could compete anywhere in the country old school barns but really nice show ring. Not to mention 90 head in a class for the exotics that go 15 classes deep. in my opinion toughest show out there. not to mention all the other stuff that is going on like the cutting and reining horses shows just a great all around show.