Question for Any Club Calf Breeder

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

Brad, I always liked the bull but never could make him fit in my program.  I was ding very little ai at the time and was running a Flush son in the pasture so didn't see any sense in ai'ing to one.  I think from what I remember of the calves I have seen of him and the pics of him he would be better marketed in the south for a slick shear sire.

CJB

I've seen this bull a lot in the past 12-18 months, and for a mature bull, he's still got a lot of good to him.  I like the idea of promoting him as an alternative to some of the other TH/PHA free bulls that are coming out new every year.  He's definitely got potential to work on some of those big boned, shotgun gutted HS's that are in production, and hopefully will work on HW's that are coming into production more and more every year.  Nothing like a necessery evil that we now have to deal with thanks to the terminal nature of the bulls that are being used today, and the females that are being kept out of those same bulls.  Sorry, I'll get back off of my soapbox and get back on topic.

Bounty Hunter is a proven bull that probably never got a truly fair shake.  Partially due to timing, and partially due to not getting used on the "right"cows.  I've seen a few good ones over the years, seem to remember a heifer that won the Ohio AGR a few years back.  She may be another good female to throw into some of your advertising.  If you've got any good steer pics, babies or fats, I'd definitely try to get at least 1 in the advertisement. 

Unfortunately, you may be correct in your thinking that people will feel that you are just trying to "reinvent the wheel and dump semen".  I, along with many others here at steerplanet think pretty highly of you and your programs, but I don't know if that  holds up in selling this semen to more of a general public buyer.

Nevertheless, I'd still give it another shot on promoting him, and I wouldn't drop the semen price.  Leave it @ $20 a straw, that way, maybe,  people won't think you are just trying to bargain basement your way out of a large inventory of semen.

Good luck to you and the other owners on the reemergence of Bounty Hunter.

colosteers

Brad

Had a long post with a bunch of questions for ya and then got rejected and deleted when I went to post.

Try to make this short-  What kind of frame and birth weight does this bull produce?

What stud was this semen collected at?

I have some small framed, deep and thick cows that have some really cool, but to small calves that need more frame and growth. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks and have a good one

RSC

simtal said:
hell jack up the price and put that picture of that neat lookin bred and claim semen supplies are low.
  SAY WHAT?  Surely games like this don't occur in the club calf business?  (lol)

Tony

jbh

colosteers said:
Brad

Had a long post with a bunch of questions for ya and then got rejected and deleted when I went to post.

Try to make this short-   What kind of frame and birth weight does this bull produce?

What stud was this semen collected at?

I have some small framed, deep and thick cows that have some really cool, but to small calves that need more frame and growth.   

Any suggestions?

Thanks and have a good one

Most of the Bounty's that I remember were small to moderate framed at the largest and birth weights varied.....definitely not a calving ease bull...but not a cow killer at all.  I'd say when you put him on the TH carriers they could come plenty stout though. 

I'll have to check on what stud he was collected at on the canes, I'm thinking he was at a couple.  There was never any complaints on quality that I can remember, but I"m simply drawing a blank on what stud he was at.

About the cows you're talking about....how are they bred and are they potential carriers?

In thinking about using him in our own program herds a few years ago.....I remember that when the first Heat Seeker daughters came into production we really started noticing the Bounty Hunter calves.....HOWEVER..... he was homozygous black but not homo. solid, SO, we were getting some color, when color wasn't COOL!  Also, they were a little too chunky for the times......which, both of these things are IN now.

Bounty Hunter had a full brother that was little and chunky that Kopps in Indiana bought and named him Tag a Long.... many of these calves were very saleable and in thinking about it....most would have been out of probable Heat Seeker daughters.

I'm going to go back through all my old p2p pics and see how many progeny pics I can find and let them jog my memory.  I've received several phone calls from readers, and I appreciate this very much....you guys are all on my payroll now....the BAD news, you'll have to wait for my bailout check to come in before I can pay you!  :)

OH Breeder

Tag-A-long
Tag-A-Long is a Full Flush out of BHCS Hot Lips who was out of De Bull.  He has a 83 pound birth weight and a 1355 adjusted Yearling weight.

He was born 3/26/2000 and is a full brother to Bounty Hunter.  He is registered Chianina - registration number: 284829. He works great on Heat Seeker daughters. The second high selling steer in our 2003 pasture sale was out of Tag-A-Long and a Heat seeker cow.  photo taken 10/20/03

directly from Kopps

Attachments

• Tag-Along11-10-20-03-web.jpg
    Tag-Along11-10-20-03-web.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 529

colosteers

Brad

I will try this again now that I have more time.

The small cows that I am thinking of are potential carriers mainly from About Time and a few others that you wouldn't know.  They have some really cool calves but seem to wean at like 450 lbs and are finished at like 1100 lbs.  They are cool - but small.  They are bred to a growthy Sonny shorthorn bull this year to see how that works out.

When you were talking about this bull as know to work on the Heat Seeker lines and being clean- a light came on with me that he might work, but I sure need frame and growth which I thought could come from the older Flush side (I am not experienced with Flush).

What bull is out there that could frame up some of these smaller clubby cows?

I will try to post this and hope I don't get an error message and deleted

Thanks and have  a good one

Throttle

colosteers said:
Brad

I will try this again now that I have more time.

The small cows that I am thinking of are potential carriers mainly from About Time and a few others that you wouldn't know.  They have some really cool calves but seem to wean at like 450 lbs and are finished at like 1100 lbs.   They are cool - but small.   They are bred to a growthy Sonny shorthorn bull this year to see how that works out.

When you were talking about this bull as know to work on the Heat Seeker lines and being clean- a light came on with me that he might work, but I sure need frame and growth which I thought could come from the older Flush side (I am not experienced with Flush).

What bull is out there that could frame up some of these smaller clubby cows?

I will try to post this and hope I don't get an error message and deleted

Thanks and have  a good one

Hannibal? He frames em up more than any modern bull that I know, but they gotta have guts to make him work

Jill

Not worth much, but here's my 2 cents.  This bull will never work with my cattle, doesn't have enough guts, however he should be an excellent choice for anyone wanting to breed to Friction but doesn't want the expense or low quality risk, he actually appears to be longer bodied than Friction.  Up the price, no one wants 15 dollar semen, those are the has beens that they have cut the price to get rid of.  Agree with Dusty give some out for flushes on cows you know to be consistant producers, winners on the ground are the quickest way to sell semen. 

JbarL

jbh...worth pratically nothing...but my 2 cents worth anyway...5 buks a straw difference by your count would be around 12 K .....thats a decent number to consider....however, your admission it may not be up to the top 20% ers  in the clubbie business ( either at 15 or $ 20 ) is straight up and i applaud that...however as some have mentioned that it may make it appearing to be cheap  or substandard,  i disagree a bit with that...i think alot of programs could benifit from it ( 15$ units of anything decent) greatly...and to those people a difference in $100 for a 20 straw purchase does make a difference...alot of folks ( older long time "farmers" ect  ) are just now starting to listen to there kids and grandkids and younger "farmers" and see the benifits ai/syncing/ and the quick turn around an "average" commercial guy or new clubbie can see with any good controlled genetics....with the "exclusive" ..."limited" ...high dollar semen thats popurally marketed now  andcomes with avaliability limitations, ect... seems those with flushing facualities  or flushing money seem the only ones privey to whats popular now....  that alone  leaves 80%of folks out of the loop right off the bat.  the simple fact that you seem to think that 15 is fair...you may be losing some of th top 20% ers....but it may  have just opened the door for  the bottom  30 % ers... ie... low budget small/ mid size operations/ 1st time "modern" herd improvers/ or just  folks that may rather save a $100 on 20 units .....than spend a hundred dollars on 1 unit .....i think youll sell it either way....but on a marketing side i would say you may get more repeat business ( new customers) for your future bulls from the sale of bounty hunters semen to the bottom 80% ers .... ...just my opinion  ....jbarl

CAB

Received the sale catalog for the Dakota Classic yesterday and low & behold, the Roxy Donor got the cover. She is the Bounty Hunter x Ms. Who, ( WMW x Simi ) that Brad was speaking of. She & 1 other Donor are the featured Donors of 1 basket each, consisting of 3 eggs. The sire of her eggs is original Heat Wave. If you get a chance look her up.She looks complete. Brent

RSC

CAB said:
Received the sale catalog for the Dakota Classic yesterday and low & behold, the Roxy Donor got the cover. She is the Bounty Hunter x Ms. Who, ( WMW x Simi ) that Brad was speaking of. She & 1 other Donor are the featured Donors of 1 basket each, consisting of 3 eggs. The sire of her eggs is original Heat Wave. If you get a chance look her up.She looks complete. Brent
Brent, This the one you're talking about?

RSC

Attachments

• Bounty Hunter Female.jpg
    Bounty Hunter Female.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 450

CAB

I would love to see the calves out of this mating. Looks like it should work well and yes Tony, that's the cow that I was talking about. Brent

showtime

JBH,

I'm glad you mentioned him, i breed him to a full form cow that raised J-LO that the Martin Family showed out of heatseeker. I'd forgot all about that steer that was out of him because some steer jock from ohio bought him out of the pasture and i was flusing the cow several times to heatseeker to get full sibs to j-lo.I start flushing her in 3 weeks. I know that mating lines up the throttle but it works and also with friction.Thanks for jogging my memory.

box6rranch

Do you think if you bred it to PB shorthorn's you'd get blue roans? We have a couple of cows that are pretty leggy. I'd like to bring down their height and thicken the calves up some.