Question for the mechanics.

Help Support Steer Planet:

SHAGGY

I have a JD 4240 that takes forever for the three point hitch to raise, at least a lot longer than it should. Hydrolics fluid is ok and im pretty sure the pump is ok, any othee suggestions on what it could be? Thanks.

knabe

I dont have a real answer, but how do you know what the ppressure is?  Perhaps it is the pump and something is worn.

nate53

It could be several things. 

If the fluid is okay.  Filters and suction screen okay?  If those are okay then ?'s.

1.  How long is a long time for it to raise?

2.  Does rpm make it raise faster or not?

3.  Are there any other functions that are slow?  (steering, scv's, pto work okay, brakes feel and work right)

4.  Can you hear a chatter coming from the pump up front when trying to raise the arms (quick hitch)?

5.  Has this been occurring for a while and getting worse or all of a sudden?

BTDT

Check your filters and if dirty at all, replace them.

cowman 52

There is a screen in the system,  not many know about it.  Tractor left side under the axle housing,Facing the rear wheel,  there is a pipe plug, takes a hex tool to get it out and usually tight as heck.  Take it out,  screen inside,  bet it has gunk in it,  it will not drain the system,  just a gallon maybe. 
Does the system clatter when you raise the 3point? Clatter usuallymeans the system starved for oil.

SHAGGY

Is what you are talking about on the pump itself or back at the rear axles? The other hydrolics work fine. I can lift our disc mower arm up fine with no problems, its just that the arms on the hitch take about 1-2 minutes to fully raise up, doesnt matter if I increase the rpms or not. Thanks so much for the info, i really appreciate it.

nate53

SHAGGY said:
Is what you are talking about on the pump itself or back at the rear axles? The other hydrolics work fine. I can lift our disc mower arm up fine with no problems, its just that the arms on the hitch take about 1-2 minutes to fully raise up, doesnt matter if I increase the rpms or not. Thanks so much for the info, i really appreciate it.
If you were looking at the back of the tractor, the plug would be on the left side at the bottom of the transmission case (below the axle).  It's the only pipe plug on the tractor that a 1/2 drive ratchet will fit into.  You just take the plug out and the screen is right there (pull it out), however if I'm not mistaken you need to drain the oil out first?  I know you need to on a 30 series tractor.  The transmission pump provides lube oil for the tractor and also provides oil to the main pump up front.  So basically the transmission pump sucks oil through this screen and it feeds the other pump.  But if everything else is working fine, I doubt it's the screen or  filters.  I'll send you a PM.