Question on calf comments appreciated

Help Support Steer Planet:

GFC#22

I have a feeder calf it is a carnac on a heat seeker super nice calf but once it hit about 600 lbs it started getting really straight and walking on its toes had a guy out to check the hooves and he said they look fine.and when he stands he is super uncomfertable he just bounces back n fourth on his back legs. Has anyone had or heard of anything like this? anything to fix it? or is it just genetics comments appreciated 

GFC#22

ya he was sound as a cat up until a month or so ago thats what gets me

harleyhog

Unfortunately, it sounds like spastic paresis. I had a heifer get this disease.  We took her to the Iowa State University for surgery, unfortunately without good results and she had to be put down. I sure hope this isn't the case for your calf..

J

JTM

It does sound like a genetic disorder. I am not sure about the name but I do know there is something that can come up later and make them walk like that. If this is the problem, they never get better but you may be able to feed them out to a larger weight. Not sure though, sorry about your steer.  ???

WhoaFlicka

had one do that 2 years ago tried everything hoof trim difernt meds got off cement only got worse he weighed 1000 so we butcherd good luck

JAGUR01

harleyhog said:
Unfortunately, it sounds like spastic paresis. I had a heifer get this disease.  We took her to the Iowa State University for surgery, unfortunately without good results and she had to be put down. I sure hope this isn't the case for your calf..
Have had two calves with this and an older female that developed with it as well.  Take it from me nothing will correct it!!!!! Ship him or eat him! 

GFC#22

I read into spastic paresis a little more and unfortunately it sounds like this is what the steer has thanks for the help guys

Sullivan

JAGUR01 said:
harleyhog said:
Have had two calves with this and an older female that developed with it as well.  Take it from me nothing will correct it!!!!! Ship him or eat him! 

Attached are three photos from our Carnac last year that we took to locker plant finally as she was never going to ever get better. I believe that the "disorder" you are referring to is spastic paresis. I talked with Dr. Beavers at University of Illinois. He is working on delevoping at test but the disease is not as simple as TH and PHA where it is a one gene event. Dr. Beavers feels that it is atleast a two if not more gene events and makes it very hard to predict. It seems to be more predominent in Heat Wave genetics-I talked with a guy this weekend who actually had a sunseeker with it last year.
They will NEVER get any better- cut your losses and move on!

Attachments

• IMG00279.jpg
    IMG00279.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG00281.jpg
    IMG00281.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG00282.jpg
    IMG00282.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 158

GFC#22

He defiantly looks alot like that to bad he was a super nice calf when he was younger had a pale face do the same thing as a same weight same cow he was really good to