Question on Fulvicin

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shorthorns4us

Can anyone give me any information on when they banned Fulvicin for use in food animals-- even the breeding animals.
I tried to get some for ringworm today and one of the vets I use for meds would not sell it to me due to no use for cattle anymore.
Any help is great or where you can still get some?
Thanks
EF

DL

Shorthorns4us said:
Can anyone give me any information on when they banned Fulvicin for use in food animals-- even the breeding animals.
I tried to get some for ringworm today and one of the vets I use for meds would not sell it to me due to no use for cattle anymore.
Any help is great or where you can still get some?
Thanks
EF

Technically, the extra label use of drugs (ELDU - use of a drug not according to the label) is NOT allowed unless the animals life is in danger (health is suffering or is threatened).

Fulvicin is approved for use in humans but not approved for use in cattle. Since ringworm is self limiting one could interpret that the animal's health is not threatened. Therefore ELDU is not permitted

http://www.avma.org/reference/amduca/amduca1.asp

twistedhshowstock

Extra label drug use is also only permitted when prescribed by a licensed veterinarian or doctor. But even vets hands are tied in this. One of the big pushes is limiting the use of drugs that are used in both humans and animals. Their fear is that if humans are exposed to even trace levels of drugs through meat, especially antibiotics, that the drugs will lose their efficacy in humans.  I can agree with this to an extent, but I think drugs used to treat skin irritations and things such as ringworm are taking it a bit far, but that is only my opinion and it really doesnt count for much.

DL

twistedhshowstock said:
Extra label drug use is also only permitted when prescribed by a licensed veterinarian or doctor. But even vets hands are tied in this. One of the big pushes is limiting the use of drugs that are used in both humans and animals. Their fear is that if humans are exposed to even trace levels of drugs through meat, especially antibiotics, that the drugs will lose their efficacy in humans.  I can agree with this to an extent, but I think drugs used to treat skin irritations and things such as ringworm are taking it a bit far, but that is only my opinion and it really doesnt count for much.

Fulvicin is an antifungal used sometimes to treat serious fungal infections in humans.

There are specific requirements for ELDU for veterinarians --- see the link in my previous post

Danielle1

I have worked in the animal health industry for years and yes I do remember fulvicin. It wasnt that long ago you could get it but as I see it a lot of products are being removed from the market for misuse and truthfully I dont have an opinion for that. However, Vetericyn is a great topical product that is anti-fungual for ringworm and covers bacteria as well. Take a look at that and see how it works for you.