Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

SHAGGY

So i have a cow that is about 10 or 11 years old and I ai'd her earlier this spring and she has passed over bout three times. Now being an older cow her cervix is relatively "way down in there" when I ai her, but the other day she came back into heat and I re-bred her but this time her cervix was only like a couple inches in, almost like breeding a heifer.  Any idea whats going on? Thanks

DakotaCow

This can depend on the amout of stress she was under right before she went into the chute or the straining she was doing before you bred her. There is a lot of room for movement in a cows repro tract and no two are the same. I would say that there is nothing wrong just that you hadnt bred her when she had been like that before. <cowboy>

lightnin4

I agree with Dakotacow.  The cervix can move around some.  I had a heifer last year that I AI'd twice unsuccessfully.  A friend came to breed her the 3rd time and he said he didn't know how I reached her cervix because she had a long repro tract (I thought I got to the end of it but apparently I didn't).  He bred her the other day for me and said her tract was "wadded up" near her back end and he had to stretch it out to breed her.