Questions about an old angus bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Goinbroke

Does anyone have any info on on the old angus bull "BC MATRIX 4132?"  I am not refering to lineage, i have all that, I am looking more for any opinons on him, good growers, nice muscle, etc.  I know nothing about him, but I am looking at a heifer calf out of a Matrix cox/Connealy Bull  at a really reasonable price. I am just not familiar with the Matrix side of the bloodline.  Any opinons would help.  Thanks

lightnin4

I have a Matrix heifer out of a 1407 daughter.  She is really nice made & smaller framed than her dam--but her dam is a pretty big framed cow.  She has never been real wide from the rear and my Genex rep said that Matrix calves tend to be narrower in the rear end.  She is raising a heck of a CC&7 heifer calf this spring though.  I also raised a Matrix bull out of a Rito 1I2 cow that was really nice.  No thickness issues with him. ;)  Crossing Matrix with some heavier muscled genetics seems to work out well.  Disposition on both calves was great too. 

husker1

Didn't take the time to confirm that this bull is the Matrix bull that was in Genex several years ago...assuming so. 

I saw that Matrix at stud.  He was incredibly deep sided...certainly one of the deepest bulls that I had ever seen in my life.  But, he was also quite narrow.  Everything he was in depth, he was not in width. 

Heard he did work very good making Sim-Angus cattle, but I couldn't get past his width from the rear view.

BadgerFan

Ditto Husker's comments. He works great on continentals. Also, I have seen a lot of his daughters in production and they have outstanding udder quality. 

lightnin4

husker1 said:
Didn't take the time to confirm that this bull is the Matrix bull that was in Genex several years ago...assuming so. 

I saw that Matrix at stud.  He was incredibly deep sided...certainly one of the deepest bulls that I had ever seen in my life.  But, he was also quite narrow.  Everything he was in depth, he was not in width. 

That pretty much echoes what my rep said.  He said to use him on my 004 females and other wide based females.  We had just bought a few straws when we needed a calving ease bull.  I can't complain about the two Matrix calves I've had though.  The bull was thick made (must have come from the dam's side) and one of the best growing calves in that group.  The heifer has acceptable thickness and is doing a great job with her first calf.  If you decide to buy the one your looking at, just be mindful of how to breed her.

Aussie

FWIW  I used BC Matrix and that year my other bulls were Hyline Rightway 781 (one of the best bulls I have used in my herd) and VRD Dateline and he was by far the worst performing bull. I found his calves did not grow,  lightest at weaning and daughters did not milk. Not a fan got some in the tank will not use.

lightnin4

Here is a pic of my Matrix first calf heifer and her heifer calf that i took this morning

Attachments

• IMAG0477 (600x359).jpg
    IMAG0477 (600x359).jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 372