Questions on AI bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

forbes family farms

I was wondering if these bulls (as listed) would be good to use on heifers for calving ease and have great show calves out of? I am going to  use them on Maine Anjou Angus Simmental cows. Also how much does it usual cost to AI a cow? I am not experienced with AIing.  ??? :-\
1. Peer Pressure                                                                                                   
2. Power 2 Challenge                                                     
3. Nut N But                                                                                             
4. Meyer Meyer                                                                           
5. Ace in the hole                                                                   
6. Copper Penny                                                                               
7. Cool Customer                                                                         
8. Cowboy Troy                                                                             
9. Mercedes Benz                                                                           
10. Blue Blood                                                                                                       

Dyer Show cattle

i agree with mark, also I would add meyer meyer to the not list, just based on Meyer 734 was never an easy calver for me. I have not had anything out of meyer meyer. I have heard Mercedes benz has been throwing low bw calves. I still stick with purebred angus and simm low bw bulls for all my heifers and thats it after a real bad experince with ALI about 3 years ago.

hamburgman

I would suggest foreplay for heifers, don't know how the steers turn out, but there is a demand for the heifers for replacements.

savaged

Ace in the Hole not a heifer/calving ease bull.

Cost varies by if you synch, etc.  Expect to pay 25-35 dollars for the A.I., plus the semen costs.  CIDR's, GNrH, Lute, heat detection patches, all add up if you synch the cows.  You can easily have $75.00 invested in the A.I. process per cow, and that's if she settles on the first attempt.  Two breedings and you can easily have $100.00 plus invested in the process per calf. 

Don't forget the expense of a semen tank, nitrogen, vet supplies, calf jack, etc. 

I hope my wife doesn't read this  ;D

DTW

Power 2 change is the only bull you have listed on there that can be used on heifers. 

cotullaguy

two bulls to consider for heifers would be Shiver and Total Solution.

kswlaw

Peer Pressure has been used on hiefers with good results.  There have been no reports of any calves being pulled so far.  Joe Coblentz will be having pictures on his website soon.  Calves look good!

gary89

Dyer Show cattle said:
i agree with mark, also I would add meyer meyer to the not list, just based on Meyer 734 was never an easy calver for me. I have not had anything out of meyer meyer. I have heard Mercedes benz has been throwing low bw calves. I still stick with purebred angus and simm low bw bulls for all my heifers and thats it after a real bad experince with ALI about 3 years ago.
What Simmental bulls have you used?

SSIMMENTALS

What has been everyoe's experience on Maximus and birthweights?? Not trying to hijack your post; just wondering and it seemed to fit in here. ;D

Show Steaks

i probablly wouldnt use any of them for calving ease... go with an old stand by of angus, i believe you may be talkin about the angus bull cowboy troy and he isnt the easiest calvin angus bull in the world

just my 2cents

Dyer Show cattle

gary89 said:
Dyer Show cattle said:
What Simmental bulls have you used?

This last year I AId to Hooks shear force 38k with only one pulled but it was a sunseeker heifer and not a hard pull either, all the others have calved unassisted. Then my heard bull is a TNT Ever ready low bw purebred simm son. TNT Ever Ready is a HC Hummer son. I have also Used Lucky break with good results but they came a little bigger than the Hooks Shear force. The only other one I would consider trying is Trademark he has also been a great calving ease simm for many years. The great thing about using a purebred bull is you have real EPDs to go from, and also with Simm or maine on a commercial herd you can register calves to show in percentage or purebred classes. Years previous I have used Angus bulls with great results. EXT backround bulls and then BC Lookout, was not all that impressed with any of my Lookout calves though, calved easy but not the best growers and deff. not show material in a crossbred herd, could be in an angus herd maybe.

gary89

Have you tried Built Right on your heifers? Alot of guys have told me he works well.