Questions on TH and PHA testing

Help Support Steer Planet:

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but maybe I wasn't searching the right words.  Anyway I'm sure an update can't hurt.

I am wondering how to test calves for TH and/ or PHA:
- what kind of sample is required?
- where do you send it?  I noticed there are a few different providers so what has your experience been with timeliness of results?  Also I am located in Canada if that makes a difference.
- what is a reasonable turnaround time?
- what is the cost?

Any other tips on this would be appreciated, thanks.

jbzdad

search Igenity... several threads come up... hair testing works well for me... The Maine anjou site is working with Genex to set up genetic testing and DNA testing at the same site

Gargan

I sent some tail switch hair samples (30-40 hairs per head) to igenity about 2 weeks ago. I got an email from them 3 days after i mailed them saying my specimens were in the works and expect no longer than 4 weeks for results. Most of the people ive talked with have had their results in less than 3 weeks so im expecting my results any day now. Its $27 per test, so if u want 1 animal tested for PHA and TH its $54 per hd. Go to www.igenity.com for more info. good luck

cowzrus

Ok, I am really behind the times, I thought TH and PHA were only done with blood samples.  Where can I get info on hair samples, I am tired of pulling blood.  Please send info for hair sampling and what website.  I need to get on here more often.  Thanks