Quick question RE: Beet Pulp

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davidsonranch

Working with a local feed mill and they only have pellet beet pulp instead of shredded.  Is there any difference?  Pros or cons?  Been working on AAOK's recipe and finding substitutes as some ingredients (cotton seed hulls) are not available in my area.  Beet pulp is a substitute per Dan himself.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Davidsonranch

Thanks, I just wanted some opinions as like most things I've had some people say they are great and other say not as good as shredded.  But yes, that's all I can get so might be a no brainer.  Kid's steers have no problem eating pelleted type feed right now so hoping it should not be a problem.  AAOK said beet pulp has been a great replacement for cottonseed hulls since I can't get them out here in SE Oregon.

cowman 52

Even here cotton seed hulls were hard to come by at times,  I stumbled on to a ground timothy /alfalfa hay  in bags,  comes from standlee in Idaho,  we have had reall good luck using it and beet pulp in the mix,  especially in the big cattle.

Davidsonranch

Again, can't get the shredded!  Trying to hear from others if they have seen a difference in consumption - shredded vs the pelleted beet pulp.  I don't want to throw it in our mixture if they won't eat it well.

Mueller Show Cattle

I can get both but I can get a 50lb bag of pellet for the same price as a 40lb bag shredded. So I buy the pellets and soak them in some water to break them up and then feed them that way and do just fine. Plus the cattle I have fed them to prefer for them to be soaked in water first and softened up. Now if you are using it on show day to expand the steer's gut out to get the fuller look, feed it dry as it will expand more. Just my intake on it, but think you can get by just fine with the pellets.

ingramcattle

Our show animals would not eat the pellets. They would leave them in the troughs. I have had to soak, then add to the feed.

Mueller Show Cattle

ingramcattle said:
Our show animals would not eat the pellets. They would leave them in the troughs. I have had to soak, then add to the feed.
Same here, so I soak them and then add to the feed. But for day of show, I don't soak them, cause I want it to expand in the gut to give that fuller appearance, put some molasses on the pellets and feed it dry and they should eat it fine at least mine do. I could get my cows to eat dead leaves if I put some molasses sprinkled over it.

dcbehle

We've fed beet pulp pellets several years and in all cases, the calves eventually tire of eating the pellets and will forage through the bunk and leave the pellets after a few weeks. I still like to mix some in during the winter to expand the rib shape while they are developing. You just have to be careful with anything that expands in the gut while growing them so that you can still get them to eat the total amount of grain per day to meet your target weights. All products that expand in the gut are great for holding back cattle, but if you are not looking to do that make sure you are still getting the feed in them like you want.