Rainmaker calf problems

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainecattlemother

We have a Sunseeker heifer that had her first calf this morning.  We bred her to Rainmaker.  We did not want to do this but her first AI to Rocky Balboa did not take and that was all that was left in the tank.  We induced the heifer and it was only five days early.  The calf is not overly heavy, guessing about 80 lb but is very big boned and has not been able to stand up.  What is anyones thoughts on this and what would you do to help it.  We gave the typical vacinations as well as Banamine and Bose.  We did take it from the mother for a while and gave her some cholestrum by drencher.  Any other thoughts would be appreiated.

AL Show Cattle

Could be what i call dummy calf  syndrome (will not get up , will not suck, swollen head, or swollen joints).  This is what i use to treat "dummy calves" with, give 1cc dexamethasone IM and long acting antibiotic (i like L.A. 200 give 2cc of this IM).  hope this helps!

OH Breeder

LUKE said:
Could easily be a TH calf.

What? The legs would be obviously abnormal if it was TH with abdominal hernia. Note pictures.

AL Show Cattle I agree.

Attachments

• TH Calf.jpg
    TH Calf.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 929
  • TH Calf 2.jpg
    TH Calf 2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 367

mainecattlemother

Thanks for all the responses!!  The dumby calf syndrome sounds correct.  We have given the B12 and banimean and the calf is now up and moving around but is very weak and stiff.  You also hear a lot of popping in her hip joints.  She is sucking a bottle a little but not a lot so we have been using a drencher to give milk.  She has came a long way from birth though.  She is still not out of the woods but we are optimistic.  Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!!

mainecattlemother

UPDATE:  calf is doing 90% better and today we were able to put the calf back on the mother.  She is standing up and actually trying to jump around.  She is very straight in the back legs but I think this is from the mother as she really should not have been bred and should have been shown as a market heifer but at least the calf is alive and that is the best thing!!!  Thanks for everyones help!!!  May post some pictures as she gets bigger.  If anyone woud like to know mothers name is Oreo and we have named the heifer calf Cookie.