RB EAGLE 239th

Help Support Steer Planet:

cflem

JIT, I remember COL Royal Silver.  He was purchased by two friends of mine here in Oklahoma out of Packards dispersal sale.  Mike Kahoa and Eugene McEntire bought him and I saw him many times in the early 80's.  Eugene used him til he died of old age at 10-12 years old.  He was a moderate framed bull that was a lot smaller than a lot of the cattle being used at the time.  He was bred back to several of his daughters and they were some really good cows.  I showed one of them for Eugene in 1985 and she got along OK.  She was probably a little ahead of her time being thicker and stouter than most we showed against.

I owned a son of Royal silver out of a Clark daughter that we used for a while.  Got some really nice red calves out of him.  Dont remember getting much color, but they were long and thick.

oakview

Bert Hanson's Shadybrook Farm in Minnesota raised some pretty salty show heifers during the type change about 40 years ago.  Torgersons and Studers took heifers out of there and won at Chicago and Kansas City.  One of my favorites was named Shadybrook Estelle, maybe.  We used to make trips to Graham's at Waverly and drove right by Hanson's farm, but never stopped.  JIT, were you at Graham's sale?  I sat up in the top and remember telling myself all the way home that I had just seen the best Shorthorn sale I'd ever see.  $3,200+ average?  Quite high for the times.   

justintime

oakview said:
Bert Hanson's Shadybrook Farm in Minnesota raised some pretty salty show heifers during the type change about 40 years ago.  Torgersons and Studers took heifers out of there and won at Chicago and Kansas City.  One of my favorites was named Shadybrook Estelle, maybe.  We used to make trips to Graham's at Waverly and drove right by Hanson's farm, but never stopped.  JIT, were you at Graham's sale?  I sat up in the top and remember telling myself all the way home that I had just seen the best Shorthorn sale I'd ever see.  $3,200+ average?  Quite high for the times. 

Yes, I was at the Graham Dispersal and I purchased a bull calf named County Seat. He was a son of Columbus. We never used him much as he got huge. He looked more like Clark than Columbus. One of the things I remember about that sale was how long it took to sell some of the cattle. I think it was at least a half hour to sell Columbus as they would stop the auction as new groups got together to discuss partnering on him. I had the winning bid at $8000 when one of these breaks in the action occured, and a new group was formed and the bidding took off again. He ended up selling for $14,000.
Eldon Krebs was working for R. Lee Johnson, Millbrook Shorthorns, at the time, and when the bidding on Great White Hope stalled, he approached me about partnering on him, and we ended up being the runner-up bidders. He brought $8000. If we had purchased him, we were going to call our partnership" Hope Like Hell Cattle Co". I also remember trying to get home from that sale, as I was stranded in Minot ND for 2 days as one of the worst blizzards we ever had blocked all the roads. There were 10 foot drifts over the highway in places outside Minot. I could not believe the snow when I finally arrived home, and it was the most snow I have ever seen here ... ever.

oakview

Was County Seat the calf that had a little Australian Milking Shorthorn breeding in him?  It seems as though Roger Steiger bought the cow that wasn't 100% American dual purpose and she had a bull calf in the sale.  She might have been an Olivia, been a long time.  I wish you'd have bought Great White Hope and kept him in Canada.  I had won the Iowa and Minnesota State Fairs,  but couldn't get around Hope at Kansas City, Louisville, Chicago, or Denver.  I think Roger Worthington was a better showman than I was!  I think Weaver Angus Farm may have fitted the bull and I know they were far ahead of my skills.  I remember at Denver, Hope was Senior Champion, I was reserve senior champion.  I think there were 6 or 7 senior yearling bulls.  I still remember one of the Packards, I think Peter, showed Kahoa's Charmer 19th to 3rd place and telling me after the class he thought I should have won.  At least it made me feel good. 

justintime

oakview said:
Was County Seat the calf that had a little Australian Milking Shorthorn breeding in him?  It seems as though Roger Steiger bought the cow that wasn't 100% American dual purpose and she had a bull calf in the sale.  She might have been an Olivia, been a long time.  I wish you'd have bought Great White Hope and kept him in Canada.  I had won the Iowa and Minnesota State Fairs,  but couldn't get around Hope at Kansas City, Louisville, Chicago, or Denver.  I think Roger Worthington was a better showman than I was!  I think Weaver Angus Farm may have fitted the bull and I know they were far ahead of my skills.  I remember at Denver, Hope was Senior Champion, I was reserve senior champion.  I think there were 6 or 7 senior yearling bulls.  I still remember one of the Packards, I think Peter, showed Kahoa's Charmer 19th to 3rd place and telling me after the class he thought I should have won.  At least it made me feel good.

You have a good memory Lonny. County Seat was indeed out of the Olivia cow that Roger Steiger purchased. She was a pretty good cow but the Illawara breeding came out in her son as he got older. For the times, I think the Graham sale was amazing. The people came from all over the contienent to see this set of cattle sell. The night before the sale, people were talking about Columbus and Great White Hope selling for up to $80,000, but when sale time came, I think many people had not even considered bidding on them as they would sell beyond their limits.