Re: Cow two weeks over due...Had her calf!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthorn boy

Thanks so much for all the feedback I feel better knowing that is ok for a cow to go 14 days past her due date and i can understand the bad genetic deal being the cause of a big dumb calf I think that is what happened with my calf that died. We did contact and previous owner and he said that she was AI'd and wa not exposed to a bull and should have been due the 3rd. I have had only one cow calve on her due date but other that that i have never had a cow calve when she was suppose too but this is the first time I have had one go this far over so I was getting a little concerned. Also with the inducing thing I am kinda in a situation where I want to but i dont want to. People have told me that they do it all the time and never have any problems and then i was told that they did it once and killed the calf and they never did it again. The vet did say though that if she doesn't calve in like five days then we might think about inducing her but hopefully she will have it soon.

Show Heifer

Best of luck shorthorn boy! The waiting is just about unbearable isn't it!!

shorthorn boy

Show Heifer said:
Best of luck shorthorn boy! The waiting is just about unbearable isn't it!!
Thanks again and yes the waiting is unbearable I am pretty excited about this calf (clapping)

lowann

Best of luck to you. I am very sure that genetics played a huge part in our experience.
She is bred to Who Made Who for 2010. She had a super calf out of him several years ago.
Let us know how it all turns out.
The heifer in my Avatar is this cow's half sister.

JSchroeder

Forgive me if I missed it but you never mentioned if she's showing any signs of calving in the other post.  I assume she's got at least a little swelling to her udder?

Cattledog

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Forgive me if I missed it but you never mentioned if she's showing any signs of calving in the other post.  I assume she's got at least a little swelling to her udder?

That's just what I was going to ask.

shorthorn boy

Oops sorry i meant to mention that, she has had a full swollen udder with filled teats for about a little over a week.

shorthorn boy

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. By the way Iowann that heifer in your avatar looks awsome. I will let you all know how this all turns out and good luck with your cow too Iowann and to anyone else expecting calves this fall or winter.

shorthorn boy

No not yet but when i got home from school today she has started early labor so im going to check on her in about 20 min or so and see how she is progressing. So hopefully hopefully we will have a calf on the ground soon! (clapping)

Hofstatter Farms

i do know of several guys around me that induce some of the bigger bw calves on their due date, the biggest problem they run into is retained plasentas. you have to know for sure that the cow is due on that date and none other though.

shorthorn boy

She finally had her calf  (clapping) <rock> <band> . I don't know what it is yet but Im just happy that she had it all by herself with no problems. I wont be able to tell what is is until morning because the cow is really mean when her calf is new and I cat get close enough, I would guess it weighs about 90lbs, so not as big as I had expected. I feel so relieved. Thank you so much for all the feed back everyone and helping me feel better about the whole situation!

SKF

Thats great news!!! <party> <party> Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Show Heifer

Wonderful news Shorthorn boy!! Be careful with the cow and congrats on your new arrivial!

shorthorn boy

SKF said:
Thats great news!!! <party> <party> Look forward to seeing some pictures.
Oh I will definitely get some pictures of him up on here sooner or later

lowann

Thanks for the good news Shorthorn Boy. I think all of us cattle people worry when something like this happens.
Here's hoping for a really good one for you!! <beer>