Re need tips on what shampoo to use

Help Support Steer Planet:

Haydog

I have a steer and I plan on showing him is there a shampoo I should be using. I have just been
using baby shampoo

irh

Joy dish soap is cheap and does a really good job.

iowabeef

Much like for human hair, shampoos basically all have the same ingredients.  We have always used cheap human shampoo and our cattle have really good hair coats. 

dutch pride

In my experience, most folks "over" shampoo the calves hair. Once or twice a week is sufficient along with daily rinsing. More than that will just dry out the calf's hair. Most any shampoo not designed for oily hair should be OK.

DLZ

Cattle7

We use V05 moisturizing. Its cheap. We pay .78 cents a bottle & a little bit goes a long way.

CANsteer

Steve123 said:
Orvis, keep the lid on it and one tub will last for years.
don't use orvis, it dries the skin out really fast. its okay to use once and a while to brghten the white.  i use palmolive, colour doesn't matter

RankeCattleCo

I wouldn't use dish soap- I think it dries out the skin. Suave shampoo and conditioner are miracle workers. Just kidding, but they're better than any and REALLY cheep.

firesweepranch

We use Joy, get a large (gallon?) jug of it at Sams for like $4. Joy DOES NOT dry out the skin, and just about any big show you go to you will find almost everyone uses something like it (dishsoap). You will always find tons of empty bottles around the wash rack at multiple breed shows.
However, we only wash maybe once a week if that. The rest of the time they are just rinsed and blown.

RankeCattleCo

Maybe that's why my dairy steers hair was dry and dandruffy, soaped him 4 times a week, oops lol.  Dish soap just doesn't seem as "gentle" to me as a cheap human shampoo like Suave. 

firesweepranch

Dairy is a whole different ball game  :eek: I wouldn't have a clue what to do there. With all that white, I would invest in blueing!  (lol)

synaka

We use Joy once a week.  The trick is to do a really good triple rinse and use a vinegar rinse if you come up with dandruff.  Also, don't pour the Joy onto  the topline.  Instead. dissolve it in a bucket of water, make lots of soapsuds , and  use a brush to scrub it in the hair.  Then use hair conditioner, but remember to rinse that out also.   Make sure you rinse all the hidden spots really well.  I like to use a horse sweat blade to push out the rinse water.  Makes rinsing easier and less to blow out.  Also we use Sullivans Clear Choice at shows when we shampoo more often.  If you do get a bad case of dandruff, use one of the really fine toothed cat combs to get it loosend up and then blown out.  

CMB

Joy, once a week is enough unless you need to do it more. Twice is plenty. If the calves are kept clean then there's no need to do more. Rinsing and conditioning daily is all you need.

OH Breeder

1- Yes, unless the animal is really dirty non need to shampoo more than once or twice a week.
2- think about what dish soaps are built to do. Break down grease and oil. WOuld you wash your hair with dish soap. Try it for a week see how your hair feels.
3- If you want hair that is manageable and healthy. You should use a shampoo that does not remove natural oils. We use V05 as well. It works great and when we get stains we will use Oxy clean spray and follow with conditioner. In the winter the weather already removes moisture from the skin and hair where we are. more reason to use something that leaves natural oils in the hair. Vinegar is great for dandruff and is good when used with a tea tree oil. You can actually add a few drops of tea tree oil, vinegar to your shampoo and the dandruff will go away. Tea Tree Oil is a natural remedy for ringworm which by looking at some of the sale calves online this year would be actually helpful and preventative.

chambero

Where do you find tea tree oil?  We've got a steer with abnormally dry skin this year.  Changed shampoos, use vinegar/conditioner dips, tried rag oil, revive, and I still haven't solved it.

OH Breeder