Re need tips on what shampoo to use

Help Support Steer Planet:

creativecattle

It is a little more expensive but we love the new Sullivan's Volumizer Shampoo. I was kind of skeptical of it actually adding volume. What it does do is make the hair a lot more manageable. We have Hereford so that is pretty important. Don't use Orvis. It will dry out the skin.

cattlejunky5

We have always used Joy as well. After washing we would mix conditioner from the dollar store with water in a bucket, then poor it over the calf, comb it in and let it set. Rinse out, then blow em out. The conditioner keeps the joy from giving them dry skin. Hope this helps!

vc

We washed once a week and use the store brand of Head and Shoulders, it seemed to help get rid of the flakes, especially a round the tail head. We had used Joy prior to that and had a calf that was extra dry and flaky. I don't think Joy is bad if you use it once a week, just found the dandruff shampoo helped with the flakes.

vc

I think it is funny, spend 5 grand or more for a steer, buy expensive feed, run a cool box, pay tons of money for supplements, and when it comes to a product used once or twice a week, to care for the one thing most of the money is spent on "HAIR", cost is a big issue.

Cattle Cards

CANsteer said:
Steve123 said:
Orvis, keep the lid on it and one tub will last for years.
don't use orvis, it dries the skin out really fast. its okay to use once and a while to brghten the white.  i use palmolive, colour doesn't matter

Palmolive.  Softens hands while doing the dishes (and washing your cattle).  Ha!

For whites, blacks or roans, I like to use a shampoo used for gray or silver hair.  It strips the yellowing, color dulling build up and "pops" the color.

4-h mom

vc said:
I think it is funny, spend 5 grand or more for a steer, buy expensive feed, run a cool box, pay tons of money for supplements, and when it comes to a product used once or twice a week, to care for the one thing most of the money is spent on "HAIR", cost is a big issue.
lol  that is funny, we were just saying that the other day.
use V05 here  from dollor store.works fine

shortyjock89

I use the cheaper shampoo from Sally's. Something like 5 dollars a gallon. I mix a little aloe Vera shampoo in with it. I shampoo them everyday, and follow by spraying them with Double Dip. Can't stand the sight or smell of drying a calf with dirt in their hair or down by the skin.