REALLY dumb question lol

Help Support Steer Planet:

MotoMojo09

Ok I know this is probably the dumbess question you've ever heard but are Adults allowed to show cattle??
Like at bigs shows?? Like denver ect??
Or is it JUST for youth???
I know I should know this butttt I dont so :p
Thanks

spkauffmann

For junior market shows only juniors can show, it varies for some shows but the max. age 18 or 19 for the junior show. For breeding cattle adults can show in the open show. But most breeds have a junior show too and the same rules apply from the  junior market show.

Show Heifer

Adults can and do show at OPEN shows. State fairs, Denver, Louisville, Royal, etc all have open breed shows (no steer shows though). Junior shows include steers as well as breeds and market heifers. FFA members can show until they are 21.

OH Breeder

I know one year here in Ohio at the AGR an adult in there late 30's showed and won Reserve Heifer overrall. I am not sure at some of the jackpot shows if it matters. I know at the state and national level adults show all the time but not in a junior show obviously.

kobo_ranch

Show Heifer said:
Adults can and do show at OPEN shows. State fairs, Denver, Louisville, Royal, etc all have open breed shows (no steer shows though). Junior shows include steers as well as breeds and market heifers. FFA members can show until they are 21.
Are you certain... I thought it was 18?  That would be good to know our son is 17 (his first year showing cattle) I hate to think it will be totally over next year.  Even though he'll probably be too busy once starts college... but would be good to know for sure.

herefordfootball

kobo_ranch said:
Show Heifer said:
Are you certain... I thought it was 18?  That would be good to know our son is 17 (his first year showing cattle) I hate to think it will be totally over next year.  Even though he'll probably be too busy once starts college... but would be good to know for sure.

It is 21 for sure. All junior shows are open to people under the age of 21.

shortyjock89

That's not correct. IL State Fair Jr. show is 19, as are a lot of county fairs and other state shows. Jr. Nationals, and Jr. shows at the major's are 21 years though.

herefordfootball

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
That's not correct. IL State Fair Jr. show is 19, as are a lot of county fairs and other state shows. Jr. Nationals, and Jr. shows at the major's are 21 years though.

My bad there I guess. In Indiana you're cant show at the county fair if you're over 18 or graduated high school. All of our open/jr. shows are 21 and under including our state fair. So I guess I would check specifically your states age rules, because they differ.

MotoMojo09

So I could show at CO state fair till I'm 21??
And thanks every body  ;D

The Show

Here in Texas you can show at all the majors and county shows until your 18 or graduated. Anybody can show at open shows, and at our breed shows like state futurity, regionals, and nationals you can show until your 21.